Hurricane Ida causes little disturbance to Cancun holidays but devastates Nicaragua
After slowing down its pace and losing strength to become a tropical storm, Hurricane Ida may have overlooked Cancun and the Yucatan peninsula but was merciless when passing through Nicaragua where dozens of lives have been lost
Now having gone down in strength to become a tropical storm, Hurricane Ida managed to narrowly miss Cancun’s shoreline last Sunday, but wreaked havoc in Nicaragua where as many as 130 lives have been reported as lost after the passing of the storm yesterday.
Cancun’s beaches were empty by Saturday as rain began pelting down and unconcerned tourists walked along the streets under umbrellas or improvised ponchos while many other expectant travellers on Cancun holidays remained alert about the passing of Ida and some were even excited with the prospect of witnessing this natural phenomenon.
``We're not too worried. I'll get some good pictures,'' said a 30-year-old photographer from Seattle, as he arrived to Cancun holidays to celebrate his one-year anniversary with his 29-year-old wife.
Mexico is no stranger to the destruction hurricanes leave behind as many of its beachfront Cancun hotels have badly suffered the consequences with the hurricanes in recent years having swallowed up much of the area’s famed beach.
But it was not to be this time around, as Ida barely brushed along Cancun’s shoreline, passing miles offshore and sending little else apart from some mild winds and heavy showers. Much to the delight of many on Cancun holidays and the disappointment of a few who wanted to capture the event with stormy holiday snapshots, Hurricane Ida was soon safely out of Cancun’s way but heading dangerously towards Nicaragua, where it gained strengthened unleashing devastation, chaos, panic and the loss of as many as 130 lives according to the latest death toll released.
Yesterday 9th November, Hurricane Ida caused extensive flooding and mudslides as it passed through El Salvador, Nicaragua, leaving a trail of death and destruction on its way. Rivers burst their banks and hillsides collapsed under rains triggered by Ida's passage, cutting off parts of the mountainous interior from the rest of the nation.
Playa Las Hojas in the department of La Paz, close to the capital city of San Salvador was badly hit with homes near the beach completely destroyed as a side of the Chinchontepec volcano collapsed on the town of Verapaz, burying houses and entire families under a torrent of mud and rocks.
Devastating as the hurricane was in Nicaragua, shortly after passing through El Salvador it lost its pace and strength to become a milder category 2 hurricane heading now for the southern U.S states between Louisiana and Florida where it is expected to keep losing strength before it completely disappears.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...