Hurricane Ida causes little disturbance to Cancun holidays but devastates Nicaragua
After slowing down its pace and losing strength to become a tropical storm, Hurricane Ida may have overlooked Cancun and the Yucatan peninsula but was merciless when passing through Nicaragua where dozens of lives have been lost
Now having gone down in strength to become a tropical storm, Hurricane Ida managed to narrowly miss Cancun’s shoreline last Sunday, but wreaked havoc in Nicaragua where as many as 130 lives have been reported as lost after the passing of the storm yesterday.
Cancun’s beaches were empty by Saturday as rain began pelting down and unconcerned tourists walked along the streets under umbrellas or improvised ponchos while many other expectant travellers on Cancun holidays remained alert about the passing of Ida and some were even excited with the prospect of witnessing this natural phenomenon.
``We're not too worried. I'll get some good pictures,'' said a 30-year-old photographer from Seattle, as he arrived to Cancun holidays to celebrate his one-year anniversary with his 29-year-old wife.
Mexico is no stranger to the destruction hurricanes leave behind as many of its beachfront Cancun hotels have badly suffered the consequences with the hurricanes in recent years having swallowed up much of the area’s famed beach.
But it was not to be this time around, as Ida barely brushed along Cancun’s shoreline, passing miles offshore and sending little else apart from some mild winds and heavy showers. Much to the delight of many on Cancun holidays and the disappointment of a few who wanted to capture the event with stormy holiday snapshots, Hurricane Ida was soon safely out of Cancun’s way but heading dangerously towards Nicaragua, where it gained strengthened unleashing devastation, chaos, panic and the loss of as many as 130 lives according to the latest death toll released.
Yesterday 9th November, Hurricane Ida caused extensive flooding and mudslides as it passed through El Salvador, Nicaragua, leaving a trail of death and destruction on its way. Rivers burst their banks and hillsides collapsed under rains triggered by Ida's passage, cutting off parts of the mountainous interior from the rest of the nation.
Playa Las Hojas in the department of La Paz, close to the capital city of San Salvador was badly hit with homes near the beach completely destroyed as a side of the Chinchontepec volcano collapsed on the town of Verapaz, burying houses and entire families under a torrent of mud and rocks.
Devastating as the hurricane was in Nicaragua, shortly after passing through El Salvador it lost its pace and strength to become a milder category 2 hurricane heading now for the southern U.S states between Louisiana and Florida where it is expected to keep losing strength before it completely disappears.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...