Hurricane Ida causes little disturbance to Cancun holidays but devastates Nicaragua
After slowing down its pace and losing strength to become a tropical storm, Hurricane Ida may have overlooked Cancun and the Yucatan peninsula but was merciless when passing through Nicaragua where dozens of lives have been lost
Now having gone down in strength to become a tropical storm, Hurricane Ida managed to narrowly miss Cancun’s shoreline last Sunday, but wreaked havoc in Nicaragua where as many as 130 lives have been reported as lost after the passing of the storm yesterday.
Cancun’s beaches were empty by Saturday as rain began pelting down and unconcerned tourists walked along the streets under umbrellas or improvised ponchos while many other expectant travellers on Cancun holidays remained alert about the passing of Ida and some were even excited with the prospect of witnessing this natural phenomenon.
``We're not too worried. I'll get some good pictures,'' said a 30-year-old photographer from Seattle, as he arrived to Cancun holidays to celebrate his one-year anniversary with his 29-year-old wife.
Mexico is no stranger to the destruction hurricanes leave behind as many of its beachfront Cancun hotels have badly suffered the consequences with the hurricanes in recent years having swallowed up much of the area’s famed beach.
But it was not to be this time around, as Ida barely brushed along Cancun’s shoreline, passing miles offshore and sending little else apart from some mild winds and heavy showers. Much to the delight of many on Cancun holidays and the disappointment of a few who wanted to capture the event with stormy holiday snapshots, Hurricane Ida was soon safely out of Cancun’s way but heading dangerously towards Nicaragua, where it gained strengthened unleashing devastation, chaos, panic and the loss of as many as 130 lives according to the latest death toll released.
Yesterday 9th November, Hurricane Ida caused extensive flooding and mudslides as it passed through El Salvador, Nicaragua, leaving a trail of death and destruction on its way. Rivers burst their banks and hillsides collapsed under rains triggered by Ida's passage, cutting off parts of the mountainous interior from the rest of the nation.
Playa Las Hojas in the department of La Paz, close to the capital city of San Salvador was badly hit with homes near the beach completely destroyed as a side of the Chinchontepec volcano collapsed on the town of Verapaz, burying houses and entire families under a torrent of mud and rocks.
Devastating as the hurricane was in Nicaragua, shortly after passing through El Salvador it lost its pace and strength to become a milder category 2 hurricane heading now for the southern U.S states between Louisiana and Florida where it is expected to keep losing strength before it completely disappears.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Enjoy a fantastic Resort View to Garden View
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...