Hurricane Ida causes little disturbance to Cancun holidays but devastates Nicaragua
After slowing down its pace and losing strength to become a tropical storm, Hurricane Ida may have overlooked Cancun and the Yucatan peninsula but was merciless when passing through Nicaragua where dozens of lives have been lost
Now having gone down in strength to become a tropical storm, Hurricane Ida managed to narrowly miss Cancun’s shoreline last Sunday, but wreaked havoc in Nicaragua where as many as 130 lives have been reported as lost after the passing of the storm yesterday.
Cancun’s beaches were empty by Saturday as rain began pelting down and unconcerned tourists walked along the streets under umbrellas or improvised ponchos while many other expectant travellers on Cancun holidays remained alert about the passing of Ida and some were even excited with the prospect of witnessing this natural phenomenon.
``We're not too worried. I'll get some good pictures,'' said a 30-year-old photographer from Seattle, as he arrived to Cancun holidays to celebrate his one-year anniversary with his 29-year-old wife.
Mexico is no stranger to the destruction hurricanes leave behind as many of its beachfront Cancun hotels have badly suffered the consequences with the hurricanes in recent years having swallowed up much of the area’s famed beach.
But it was not to be this time around, as Ida barely brushed along Cancun’s shoreline, passing miles offshore and sending little else apart from some mild winds and heavy showers. Much to the delight of many on Cancun holidays and the disappointment of a few who wanted to capture the event with stormy holiday snapshots, Hurricane Ida was soon safely out of Cancun’s way but heading dangerously towards Nicaragua, where it gained strengthened unleashing devastation, chaos, panic and the loss of as many as 130 lives according to the latest death toll released.
Yesterday 9th November, Hurricane Ida caused extensive flooding and mudslides as it passed through El Salvador, Nicaragua, leaving a trail of death and destruction on its way. Rivers burst their banks and hillsides collapsed under rains triggered by Ida's passage, cutting off parts of the mountainous interior from the rest of the nation.
Playa Las Hojas in the department of La Paz, close to the capital city of San Salvador was badly hit with homes near the beach completely destroyed as a side of the Chinchontepec volcano collapsed on the town of Verapaz, burying houses and entire families under a torrent of mud and rocks.
Devastating as the hurricane was in Nicaragua, shortly after passing through El Salvador it lost its pace and strength to become a milder category 2 hurricane heading now for the southern U.S states between Louisiana and Florida where it is expected to keep losing strength before it completely disappears.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...