Virgin Atlantic helps passengers pay their fare share
Virgin Atlantic has done it again, when it comes to innovation this is one airline that doesn't stop the free flow of fresh great ideas for the protection of the environment as well as its customers with a plan to offer travelers better fare taxi rides
When it comes to innovation, Virgin Atlantic is one exceptional leading airline that doesn’t stop the freeflow of fresh new ideas with the aim of always improving the customer’s travel experience. But this is one idea that will not only benefit the traveler but it will furthermore help protect the environment and reduce carbon emissions.
As it turns out Virgin has now with a master idea that consists of setting up a new system under which travelers will be able to share taxi rides with other passengers going to similar destinations, thus reducing the fare for each and keeping carbon emissions to the minimum.
Just today, the leading British airline flying to exotic destinations such as Cuba holidays, announced a unique initiative which will help its passengers find other travelers to share taxi rides into city centers across the world - saving both their wallets and ground carbon emissions. The Taxi2 website will help match passengers who are on the same flight or whose flights arrive at a similar time, and are traveling to a similar part of a city, so they can share the taxi ride.
“We are always looking at ways to help improve our passengers’ journeys and this is a simple initiative which helps them to connect in a clever way. We expect this scheme to be popular with our passengers.” said Dee Cooper, Director of Product and Service, Virgin Atlantic.
All passengers will need to do is log onto http://www.taxi.to and input their flight and destination details (eg. hotel address) and the website will match them with a suitable traveling companion. They are then sent the details of the matched traveler and can decide whether to agree to the match and make arrangements of where to meet upon their flight arrival. Passengers can then print off a convenient Taxi2 sign from the website so they can locate each other at the airport. The system will also match female travelers who only want female traveling companions. The program is not limited to Virgin Atlantic customers and passengers on other airlines can share rides as well.
Ed Maklouf, founder of Taxi2, added: “We are delighted to be partnering with Virgin Atlantic for this scheme, and our expectation is that this simple, sensible way of saving money and cutting down congestion and carbon footprint will become common activity for air travelers worldwide.”
This initiative is just one of many that came out of the VJAM program, which is focused on co-innovating with Virgin Atlantic’s passengers and blending topics that our customers are interested in with opportunities that make travel more social. Other VJAM initiatives will be released over the following months. See http://www.virginatlantic.com/innovationzone for details.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Soak in the vitamin D on Phuket’s sun-kissed coastline with a stay the Rawai Palm Beach Resort, a matter of steps from...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
The Topaz Hotel is perfect for those who want to explore St Paul's bay and Malta's rugged countryside. Affordable and...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...