Maldives holidays and Sri Lanka holidays faring well this year
According to the latest figures released by the Pacific Asia Travel Association, with Maldives holidays and Sri Lanka holidays proved to be very popular holiday destinations with a steady growth when compared with other parts of the Asia Pacific region
Figures recently released by the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) are showing that the popularity of Maldives holidays and Sri Lanka holidays has not decreased despite the global economic downturn. Much on the contrary, despite the financial crisis these two exotic holiday destinations have experienced a growth of 1% and 34% respectively, a considerable achievement when compared to neighbouring destinations which did not fare so well in 2009.
Arrivals to South Asia in general were down by 4% with a rather steel 9% decline experienced in arrivals to India and thus signalling a decrease in the popularity of India holidays this year so far. Nevertheless other luckier Asian-Pacific areas experienced a steady growth with a 4% year-on-year increase for Northeast Asia whilst Southeast Asia grew by 3 % mainly supported by strong arrivals to Malasya and Cambodia, up by 10% and 9% respectively. However, it was not all smooth sailing for this Asiatic region as other Southeast Asia areas like Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam suffered a moderate decline, with Indonesia being the most affected with a 6% decline following the mid-July bombings in Jakarta.
Even when the total numbers of international visitors to the Asia Pacific region improved by a marginal 0.5% during the month of August 2009 compared to August 2008, the figures recorded for the first eight months of 2009 in the same region show that international visitor arrivals are down, year-on-year, by some 5%.
"Care needs to be taken in interpreting the latest results as we are entering a period now where the comparative base of last year began its decline. Even mediocre performances now may look good against the backdrop of 2008." said John Koldowski, Director of PATA's Strategic Intelligence Centre (SIC).
"The global economy appears to be slowly emerging from recession, albeit at a sluggish pace. It will certainly take some time to overcome the impact of this recession, particularly in relation to employment which in a number of countries continues to climb. The need to reduce the now large pool of recently unemployed, notably in the US, is paramount." he concluded.
And against this rather grey background for the overall Asia Pacific region, the success of smaller sub-regions like Maldives holidays and Sri Lanka holidays is highly notable; especially Sri Lanka’s more significant success after reaching a whopping 34% increase in arrivals after the country’s 25-year-long civil war finally came to an end, signalling a new era for the country’s tourism future.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Indian Ocean Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
With three beautiful beaches to choose from, this one-of-a-kind retreat offers bespoke experiences with a soothing and rejuvenating Feng Shui philosophy
- Relax at the spa - providing an combination experience of nutrition, yoga, spa treatments & retreats
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling, kayaking, water skiing, glass-bottom boat trips or some unique experience such as cinema screenings on the beach, secret bar or message in a bottle with hidden surprises
Be moved by India's icons; from the majestic Taj Mahal to the natural beauty of Keoladeo National Park - this is India at its best.
- Experience the Royal Maharaja lifestyle with a stay in a wonderful Bharatpur Palace
- Discover the magnificent City Palace Museum and enjoy an authentic Rajasthani feast in Jaipur
- See Humayun's Tomb in Delhi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the first garden-tomb on the Indian subcontinent
Set amidst a landscape of lush vegetation, mountains and the clear waters of the Indian Ocean, the Heritage Awali oozes luxury and offers first-class service
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy attentive all-inclusive service in a unique setting in Bel Ombre with its own nature reserve
- Get a complimentary round of golf per day and a free spa treatment per stay
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
The beauty of the East coast of Mauritius is without question, and all can be enjoyed at Laguna Beach Hotel & Spa, set...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...