Winter Caribbean holidays on the Up for British travellers
An incredible 40% rise in customers escaping to winter sun holiday destinations has been reported, a figure which outperforms last year's 2008 past sales. An increase to highlight is the growth of Caribbean holidays, up by 16% this year.
Late deals of sales to winter beach holidays on destinations across the globe have been reported to be outperforming sales of 2008 this year, with a whopping 40% rise in customers escaping to some winter sun holidays, with a special rise identified in the demand for Caribbean holidays.
The most popular holiday destinations for this year’s 2009 winter escapes and the biggest-selling destinations include the USA (up 11%), the Caribbean (up 16%) and the Canary Islands (up 19%).
According to online travel agent On the Beach, when compared against last year’s October 2008 figures, a rise in sales of last minute flight and hotel deals to winter sun in Caribbean holidays and other sunny destinations can be noted, with latest figures up almost 40%.
“With more people choosing to holiday at home in summer 2009 than in previous years, it’s encouraging to see the late deals market picking up. With hoteliers and airlines slashing prices, there are so many fantastic deals around at the moment. Summer 2010 is set to be another good season for Turkey but I expect Euro destinations to fare much better next year.” commented Simon Cooper, Chief Executive Officer at On the Beach.
With news of hoteliers around the world reducing prices by up to 30% due to occupancy levels at an all time low, British holidaymakers are making the most of it and grabbing themselves late deals to luxury holidays for a fraction of the usual price.
Winter sun holidays are extending in the number of days this year, with an average stay of up to nine nights compared to seven nights in 2008. With many Britons taking a shorter summer holiday this year, this increase may be due to many still have much of their annual holiday entitlement left.
With the UK thankfully but slowly dragging itself out of recession, Summer 2010 figures also seem set to be busy with reports of further sales up by more than 20% year on year. Caribbean holidays are still looking as hot as ever, as are many other more exotic destinations in the far away Indian Ocean with Mauritius and Maldives holidays as firm contestants, but still Spain and its sunny-next-door-neighbour appeal remains very much a tough competitor.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Incredible January exclusive - Receive a free upgrade to the next room type when booking with The Holiday Place
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Come to the Caribbean and take a break from everyday life, as you enjoy 8 days of entertainment at the Grafton Beach...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...