Sean Penn on Cuba holidays visits the Isle of Youth
Sean Penn visited the Isle of Youth during his trip to Cuba. It is widely reported that he is on a mission to interview Cuba's convalescent ex-president Fidel Castro after last year in October he successfully managed to interview his brother Raul.
The twice Oscar winner American actor Sean Penn is currently enjoying Cuba holidays having just visited the Isle of Youth on Sunday according to the local press. Cuba’s national newspaper Granma reported that the actor was accompanied there by a group of Cuban artists members of Martha Machado’s artistic group. The group lead by Cuban artist Alexis Leyva has a social and artistic project currently being carried out in order to alleviate the destructive effects of 2008’s Gustav hurricane.
The winner of the 2009 Best Actor Oscar for his performance in “Milk”, Penn has second intentions with his trip, as his Cuba holidays enclose a little more than a leisure Caribbean escape. The actor is said to be in Cuba on a journalist mission to interview the island’s convalescent ex-president Fidel Castro. The interview, if successful is to be published on Vanity Fair and will revolve around the topic of how the election of the new American president Barack Obama, has affected the island at the other end of the Florida stretch.
Penn had been on the island previously on a similar mission. Last year, on the same month of October the actor took Cuba holidays and managed to successfully interview Cuba’s current president and brother of the predecessor, Raul Castro. Thus Penn became the first foreigner to interview the new Cuban president since he took charge and replaced his brother 3 years ago.
Located in south-western Cuba, The Isle of Youth is the country’s second biggest island which was badly affected during last year’s hurricane. The islet is split into two fairly distinct topographical sections, north and south, and is dissected by a large swamp which runs from the southeast coast to the southwest coast. While the northern coast of the island is said to have black sands with not-so-pretty beaches, the southern part has pristine sandy beaches much like any other you could find on Cuba holidays anywhere else in the island.
With a limited amount of Cuba hotels in this little island, tourism here has been virtually unexploited, yet the place holds enough ecological marvels and local charm to make for unique Cuba holidays.
Penn’s interviewing mission won’t be so easy this time around. Even when Fidel often receives foreign dignitaries in the place where he rests, until now and since he stepped down from power, no one has formally interviewed him.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...