Sean Penn on Cuba holidays visits the Isle of Youth
Sean Penn visited the Isle of Youth during his trip to Cuba. It is widely reported that he is on a mission to interview Cuba's convalescent ex-president Fidel Castro after last year in October he successfully managed to interview his brother Raul.
The twice Oscar winner American actor Sean Penn is currently enjoying Cuba holidays having just visited the Isle of Youth on Sunday according to the local press. Cuba’s national newspaper Granma reported that the actor was accompanied there by a group of Cuban artists members of Martha Machado’s artistic group. The group lead by Cuban artist Alexis Leyva has a social and artistic project currently being carried out in order to alleviate the destructive effects of 2008’s Gustav hurricane.
The winner of the 2009 Best Actor Oscar for his performance in “Milk”, Penn has second intentions with his trip, as his Cuba holidays enclose a little more than a leisure Caribbean escape. The actor is said to be in Cuba on a journalist mission to interview the island’s convalescent ex-president Fidel Castro. The interview, if successful is to be published on Vanity Fair and will revolve around the topic of how the election of the new American president Barack Obama, has affected the island at the other end of the Florida stretch.
Penn had been on the island previously on a similar mission. Last year, on the same month of October the actor took Cuba holidays and managed to successfully interview Cuba’s current president and brother of the predecessor, Raul Castro. Thus Penn became the first foreigner to interview the new Cuban president since he took charge and replaced his brother 3 years ago.
Located in south-western Cuba, The Isle of Youth is the country’s second biggest island which was badly affected during last year’s hurricane. The islet is split into two fairly distinct topographical sections, north and south, and is dissected by a large swamp which runs from the southeast coast to the southwest coast. While the northern coast of the island is said to have black sands with not-so-pretty beaches, the southern part has pristine sandy beaches much like any other you could find on Cuba holidays anywhere else in the island.
With a limited amount of Cuba hotels in this little island, tourism here has been virtually unexploited, yet the place holds enough ecological marvels and local charm to make for unique Cuba holidays.
Penn’s interviewing mission won’t be so easy this time around. Even when Fidel often receives foreign dignitaries in the place where he rests, until now and since he stepped down from power, no one has formally interviewed him.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic Varadero City Tour
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...