Sean Penn on Cuba holidays visits the Isle of Youth
Sean Penn visited the Isle of Youth during his trip to Cuba. It is widely reported that he is on a mission to interview Cuba's convalescent ex-president Fidel Castro after last year in October he successfully managed to interview his brother Raul.
The twice Oscar winner American actor Sean Penn is currently enjoying Cuba holidays having just visited the Isle of Youth on Sunday according to the local press. Cuba’s national newspaper Granma reported that the actor was accompanied there by a group of Cuban artists members of Martha Machado’s artistic group. The group lead by Cuban artist Alexis Leyva has a social and artistic project currently being carried out in order to alleviate the destructive effects of 2008’s Gustav hurricane.
The winner of the 2009 Best Actor Oscar for his performance in “Milk”, Penn has second intentions with his trip, as his Cuba holidays enclose a little more than a leisure Caribbean escape. The actor is said to be in Cuba on a journalist mission to interview the island’s convalescent ex-president Fidel Castro. The interview, if successful is to be published on Vanity Fair and will revolve around the topic of how the election of the new American president Barack Obama, has affected the island at the other end of the Florida stretch.
Penn had been on the island previously on a similar mission. Last year, on the same month of October the actor took Cuba holidays and managed to successfully interview Cuba’s current president and brother of the predecessor, Raul Castro. Thus Penn became the first foreigner to interview the new Cuban president since he took charge and replaced his brother 3 years ago.
Located in south-western Cuba, The Isle of Youth is the country’s second biggest island which was badly affected during last year’s hurricane. The islet is split into two fairly distinct topographical sections, north and south, and is dissected by a large swamp which runs from the southeast coast to the southwest coast. While the northern coast of the island is said to have black sands with not-so-pretty beaches, the southern part has pristine sandy beaches much like any other you could find on Cuba holidays anywhere else in the island.
With a limited amount of Cuba hotels in this little island, tourism here has been virtually unexploited, yet the place holds enough ecological marvels and local charm to make for unique Cuba holidays.
Penn’s interviewing mission won’t be so easy this time around. Even when Fidel often receives foreign dignitaries in the place where he rests, until now and since he stepped down from power, no one has formally interviewed him.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...