Cuba holidays in a week of Cuba Culture Day celebrations
Those lucky enough to be enjoying Cuba holidays this week are in for a cultural treat as the island celebrates Cuba Culture Day with a week of events and activities to commemorate the day when the country's national anthem was first sung back in 1868.
The 20th October is a date to celebrate the Cuban culture and indeed it is a special day for the Cuban people. It is widely believed that on this very same day, back in 1868 that the national anthem was sung for the first time in a street of the eastern city of Bayamo, amidst the clamor of the 10 year battle against the Spanish colony.
And such a day is marked with celebrations that stretch island-wide, inviting those on Cuba holidays to join in the festivities and appreciate what Cuba culture and folklore is really about. Beyond forced interpretations or the manipulation of history throughout time, most people born on this island truly respect Cuban Culture Day - wherever they are and they enjoy sharing it with the world.
For this year’s celebrations, the main site chosen to host the many events and exhibitons prepared is the Pavilion Cuba or the ‘Pabellón Cuba’, which is the headquarters of the Hermanos Saíz Asociation (AHS, an associaton that groups young Cuban artists, writers, and culture promoters under the age of 35). For those visitors on Cuba holidays who want to check it out the address is: 23 Street in the Vedado district of the Havana.
Having officially started on October 17, and running through October 24, the week of activities organised by the Ministry of Culture and AHS is unfolding from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily for the delight of all culture-loving visitors, young and old , as well as curious tourists on Cuba holidays that never fail to be attracted by the colourful displays and intoxicating music.
Books sales start at 4:30 p.m., while at 5:00 encounters begin with cultural personalities giving speeches or signing books, literary coffee shops, and performances by trova- musicians (a Cuban genre of music with poetic and thoughtful lyrics full of meaning).
The little ones are welcome too! So if you want to engage your children in the authentic traditional games of the island during your Cuba holidays, this is the place for the family to head down to!
In the mornings, children have a number of alternative activities to choose from, such as shows by the National Circus of Cuba and performances by the theatre groups playing popular children tales. Furthermore, the Pavilion Cuba conference room has been converted into a movie theater where kids can enjoy cartoons and music videos made in Cuba. For these little visitors, colouring books and comics are also being handed out, including the emblematic Cuban children’s book “El cochero azul” (The Blue Coachman), by Dora Alonso.
In addition to books, visitors in the exhibition center will be able to acquire works of art, so those art-lovers will be able to take home some fine pieces of local art from their Cuba holidays, as well as enjoying the openings of exhibitions by important Cuban visual artists. Lovers of Cuban music will also not be disappointed as concerts are lined up each evening. Singer-songwriter Santiago Feliú will perform on October 22, as well as David Blanco (Oct. 23) and the group Moncada (Oct. 24).
Jazz lovers absolutely cannot miss the concert by highly acclaimed pianist Chucho Valdes. Among other guests invited are Beatriz Marquez, Germán Velasco, and the female singing group Sexto Sentido.
And for lovers of some of the best of Cuban salsa, on the closing day, October 24, Adalberto Alvarez will appear in the evening at the Jose Marti Anti-imperialist Forum to liven up the evening and bid farewell to the event with a big dance!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...