Cuba holidays in a week of Cuba Culture Day celebrations
Those lucky enough to be enjoying Cuba holidays this week are in for a cultural treat as the island celebrates Cuba Culture Day with a week of events and activities to commemorate the day when the country's national anthem was first sung back in 1868.
The 20th October is a date to celebrate the Cuban culture and indeed it is a special day for the Cuban people. It is widely believed that on this very same day, back in 1868 that the national anthem was sung for the first time in a street of the eastern city of Bayamo, amidst the clamor of the 10 year battle against the Spanish colony.
And such a day is marked with celebrations that stretch island-wide, inviting those on Cuba holidays to join in the festivities and appreciate what Cuba culture and folklore is really about. Beyond forced interpretations or the manipulation of history throughout time, most people born on this island truly respect Cuban Culture Day - wherever they are and they enjoy sharing it with the world.
For this year’s celebrations, the main site chosen to host the many events and exhibitons prepared is the Pavilion Cuba or the ‘Pabellón Cuba’, which is the headquarters of the Hermanos Saíz Asociation (AHS, an associaton that groups young Cuban artists, writers, and culture promoters under the age of 35). For those visitors on Cuba holidays who want to check it out the address is: 23 Street in the Vedado district of the Havana.
Having officially started on October 17, and running through October 24, the week of activities organised by the Ministry of Culture and AHS is unfolding from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily for the delight of all culture-loving visitors, young and old , as well as curious tourists on Cuba holidays that never fail to be attracted by the colourful displays and intoxicating music.
Books sales start at 4:30 p.m., while at 5:00 encounters begin with cultural personalities giving speeches or signing books, literary coffee shops, and performances by trova- musicians (a Cuban genre of music with poetic and thoughtful lyrics full of meaning).
The little ones are welcome too! So if you want to engage your children in the authentic traditional games of the island during your Cuba holidays, this is the place for the family to head down to!
In the mornings, children have a number of alternative activities to choose from, such as shows by the National Circus of Cuba and performances by the theatre groups playing popular children tales. Furthermore, the Pavilion Cuba conference room has been converted into a movie theater where kids can enjoy cartoons and music videos made in Cuba. For these little visitors, colouring books and comics are also being handed out, including the emblematic Cuban children’s book “El cochero azul” (The Blue Coachman), by Dora Alonso.
In addition to books, visitors in the exhibition center will be able to acquire works of art, so those art-lovers will be able to take home some fine pieces of local art from their Cuba holidays, as well as enjoying the openings of exhibitions by important Cuban visual artists. Lovers of Cuban music will also not be disappointed as concerts are lined up each evening. Singer-songwriter Santiago Feliú will perform on October 22, as well as David Blanco (Oct. 23) and the group Moncada (Oct. 24).
Jazz lovers absolutely cannot miss the concert by highly acclaimed pianist Chucho Valdes. Among other guests invited are Beatriz Marquez, Germán Velasco, and the female singing group Sexto Sentido.
And for lovers of some of the best of Cuban salsa, on the closing day, October 24, Adalberto Alvarez will appear in the evening at the Jose Marti Anti-imperialist Forum to liven up the evening and bid farewell to the event with a big dance!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...