Cuba holidays in a week of Cuba Culture Day celebrations
Those lucky enough to be enjoying Cuba holidays this week are in for a cultural treat as the island celebrates Cuba Culture Day with a week of events and activities to commemorate the day when the country's national anthem was first sung back in 1868.
The 20th October is a date to celebrate the Cuban culture and indeed it is a special day for the Cuban people. It is widely believed that on this very same day, back in 1868 that the national anthem was sung for the first time in a street of the eastern city of Bayamo, amidst the clamor of the 10 year battle against the Spanish colony.
And such a day is marked with celebrations that stretch island-wide, inviting those on Cuba holidays to join in the festivities and appreciate what Cuba culture and folklore is really about. Beyond forced interpretations or the manipulation of history throughout time, most people born on this island truly respect Cuban Culture Day - wherever they are and they enjoy sharing it with the world.
For this year’s celebrations, the main site chosen to host the many events and exhibitons prepared is the Pavilion Cuba or the ‘Pabellón Cuba’, which is the headquarters of the Hermanos Saíz Asociation (AHS, an associaton that groups young Cuban artists, writers, and culture promoters under the age of 35). For those visitors on Cuba holidays who want to check it out the address is: 23 Street in the Vedado district of the Havana.
Having officially started on October 17, and running through October 24, the week of activities organised by the Ministry of Culture and AHS is unfolding from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily for the delight of all culture-loving visitors, young and old , as well as curious tourists on Cuba holidays that never fail to be attracted by the colourful displays and intoxicating music.
Books sales start at 4:30 p.m., while at 5:00 encounters begin with cultural personalities giving speeches or signing books, literary coffee shops, and performances by trova- musicians (a Cuban genre of music with poetic and thoughtful lyrics full of meaning).
The little ones are welcome too! So if you want to engage your children in the authentic traditional games of the island during your Cuba holidays, this is the place for the family to head down to!
In the mornings, children have a number of alternative activities to choose from, such as shows by the National Circus of Cuba and performances by the theatre groups playing popular children tales. Furthermore, the Pavilion Cuba conference room has been converted into a movie theater where kids can enjoy cartoons and music videos made in Cuba. For these little visitors, colouring books and comics are also being handed out, including the emblematic Cuban children’s book “El cochero azul” (The Blue Coachman), by Dora Alonso.
In addition to books, visitors in the exhibition center will be able to acquire works of art, so those art-lovers will be able to take home some fine pieces of local art from their Cuba holidays, as well as enjoying the openings of exhibitions by important Cuban visual artists. Lovers of Cuban music will also not be disappointed as concerts are lined up each evening. Singer-songwriter Santiago Feliú will perform on October 22, as well as David Blanco (Oct. 23) and the group Moncada (Oct. 24).
Jazz lovers absolutely cannot miss the concert by highly acclaimed pianist Chucho Valdes. Among other guests invited are Beatriz Marquez, Germán Velasco, and the female singing group Sexto Sentido.
And for lovers of some of the best of Cuban salsa, on the closing day, October 24, Adalberto Alvarez will appear in the evening at the Jose Marti Anti-imperialist Forum to liven up the evening and bid farewell to the event with a big dance!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...