Cuba holidays in a week of Cuba Culture Day celebrations
Those lucky enough to be enjoying Cuba holidays this week are in for a cultural treat as the island celebrates Cuba Culture Day with a week of events and activities to commemorate the day when the country's national anthem was first sung back in 1868.
The 20th October is a date to celebrate the Cuban culture and indeed it is a special day for the Cuban people. It is widely believed that on this very same day, back in 1868 that the national anthem was sung for the first time in a street of the eastern city of Bayamo, amidst the clamor of the 10 year battle against the Spanish colony.
And such a day is marked with celebrations that stretch island-wide, inviting those on Cuba holidays to join in the festivities and appreciate what Cuba culture and folklore is really about. Beyond forced interpretations or the manipulation of history throughout time, most people born on this island truly respect Cuban Culture Day - wherever they are and they enjoy sharing it with the world.
For this year’s celebrations, the main site chosen to host the many events and exhibitons prepared is the Pavilion Cuba or the ‘Pabellón Cuba’, which is the headquarters of the Hermanos Saíz Asociation (AHS, an associaton that groups young Cuban artists, writers, and culture promoters under the age of 35). For those visitors on Cuba holidays who want to check it out the address is: 23 Street in the Vedado district of the Havana.
Having officially started on October 17, and running through October 24, the week of activities organised by the Ministry of Culture and AHS is unfolding from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily for the delight of all culture-loving visitors, young and old , as well as curious tourists on Cuba holidays that never fail to be attracted by the colourful displays and intoxicating music.
Books sales start at 4:30 p.m., while at 5:00 encounters begin with cultural personalities giving speeches or signing books, literary coffee shops, and performances by trova- musicians (a Cuban genre of music with poetic and thoughtful lyrics full of meaning).
The little ones are welcome too! So if you want to engage your children in the authentic traditional games of the island during your Cuba holidays, this is the place for the family to head down to!
In the mornings, children have a number of alternative activities to choose from, such as shows by the National Circus of Cuba and performances by the theatre groups playing popular children tales. Furthermore, the Pavilion Cuba conference room has been converted into a movie theater where kids can enjoy cartoons and music videos made in Cuba. For these little visitors, colouring books and comics are also being handed out, including the emblematic Cuban children’s book “El cochero azul” (The Blue Coachman), by Dora Alonso.
In addition to books, visitors in the exhibition center will be able to acquire works of art, so those art-lovers will be able to take home some fine pieces of local art from their Cuba holidays, as well as enjoying the openings of exhibitions by important Cuban visual artists. Lovers of Cuban music will also not be disappointed as concerts are lined up each evening. Singer-songwriter Santiago Feliú will perform on October 22, as well as David Blanco (Oct. 23) and the group Moncada (Oct. 24).
Jazz lovers absolutely cannot miss the concert by highly acclaimed pianist Chucho Valdes. Among other guests invited are Beatriz Marquez, Germán Velasco, and the female singing group Sexto Sentido.
And for lovers of some of the best of Cuban salsa, on the closing day, October 24, Adalberto Alvarez will appear in the evening at the Jose Marti Anti-imperialist Forum to liven up the evening and bid farewell to the event with a big dance!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...