Call us today on 020 7644 1770


Seychelles hotel plants the 100,000th tree in an Endemic Program

An exceptional Seychelles hotel on the protected natural preserve of Fregate Island has just accomplished its green goal of planting tree number 100,000th as they achieved this ecological milestone part of their endemic hardwood program

Seychelles hotel plants the 100,000th tree in an Endemic Program

Possibly the most exclusive of luxury hotels in the Seychelles, located in a protected natural preserve at a private island, the Fregate Island Private Resort has just accomplished its green mission by planting the 100,000th tree in the spirit of prolonging the life of Seychelles’ endemic flora.

That old saying: "Can't see the forest for the trees in the way" can take on a positive connotation if it’s all in the spirit of preservation and protection of the best features of exclusive luxury holidays in this virtually deserted part of the world. Much in the same way other luxury hotels in the world have taken an initiative to protect their surrounding environment, such as Kimpton's endeavour to plant a billion trees in Brazil, and much in the same spirit, Seychelles' Fregate Island Private Resort is marking a significant ecological milestone: they recently planted the 100,000th and final tree in their endemic hardwood program.

This eco- program was part of Fregate's efforts to become carbon neutral, which broadly speaking refers to achieving zero carbon emissions. Hoping to replenish what was destroyed when Seychelles was colonised—namely local forestation that was replaced by coconut trees—Fregate sought to bring back natural flora and fauna to the area to in keep with the idea that this is a remote far-off place for the most spectacularly unique luxury holidays. The 100,000th tree was a Ficus, which normally thrives in rocky underground environments like those on Seychelles. These trees are said to reach heights of 50 to 65 feet and grow remarkably quickly, much to the delight of those who have just recently planted them, which will soon be able to see the fruit of their labour springing to life.

One of ‘the luxury hotels of the world’, Fregate Private Island Resort is named after this little island peculiar inhabitant, the Fregate bird, also called the pirate of the air since it is unable to swim and land on water and instead uses skilful manoeuvres to steal the loot of other seabirds. Much like the bird, Fregate Island symbolises nature at its most inspirational. And, lest you think that the resort is one of those hypocritical businesses whose real estate is taking over the island while claiming to save it, note that their buildings only occupy 5% of the island, leaving the remaining 95% completely untouched.

These secluded accommodations, which only allow up to 40 guests at any one time, are priced as one might expect for this ‘Unique in the World’ most lavish of luxury holidays in the Caribbean. That is to say, probably the most expensive of Seychells holidays with a one bedroom villa with a minimum three-night stay starting at €2,600. It looks like you can put a price on paradise, but working towards a greener planet is something priceless that we can't calculate.

Leave a comment

Talk to a specialist


Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.

Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT

Popular Holidays In Seychelles Browse all

Best Value

From £799 per person
reef holidays apartments

Reef Holidays Apartments

Set 25m from the Au Cap beach on the Island of Mahe lies the cheerful Reef Holiday Apartments. These affordable...

From £809 per person
valmer resort

Valmer Resort

Nestled within 18 acres of tropical grounds, in the untouched area of Baie Lazare, the 3* boutique Valmer Resort boasts...

From £849 per person
berjaya praslin resort, seychelles

Berjaya Praslin Resort, Seychelles

Nicely hidden away amidst beautifully landscaped tropical gardens dotted by swaying coconut palms that gently dance in...

From £869 per person
au fond de mer view

Au Fond De Mer View

Located in the south of Mahe Island, Au Fond De Mer View is a family-run hotel with stunning views of Anse Royale bay....