Cancun holidays to benefit from increased capacity at airport
Cancun's airport is about to expand as a second runway is planned, which would double the capacity to approximately 28 million to mean the ever-increasing demands for Cancun holidays, which is forecasted to increase over the next decades.
Cancun holidays are extending their invitation to a wider span of worldwide holidaymakers as they increase capacity at their main airport. And most likely the building of new Cancun hotels will follow suit to go hand in hand with this increase in capacity which will see as many as a further 14 million visitors arriving to this Caribbean holiday destination over the next decades.
The first privatised airport group in Mexico and main operator of Cancun Airport, together with 8 other airports in southeast Mexico, Grupo Aeroportuario del Sureste, S.A.B. de C.V. (NYSE: ASR; BMV: ASUR), (ASUR), today announced the inauguration of what will be the second runway of Cancun Airport, which will double the airport’s capacity to approximately 28 million passengers per annum. As this ever-popular holiday destinations keeps intoxicating the world with its sunny appeal and world class resorts offering the ultimate in luxury holidays, this increased capacity level is expected to meet forecasted demand for the next several decades, as worldwide demand keeps growing for Cancun holidays.
The second runway, which will run parallel to the existing one, allows for simultaneous takeoffs and landings, thereby increasing operating capacity to more than 80 takeoffs or landings per hour. Cancun Airport is the first airport in Mexico with two runways that can be used at the same time.
Representing a total investment of approximately US$67 million, the project also includes a new control tower, the tallest in Latin America, and one of the top 20 tallest control towers worldwide.
With the building of this new infrastructure feature for Cancun holidays, ASUR expects to contribute to economic development in the region and to maintain Cancun’s position at the forefront of airport services in Mexico and Latin America.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
Whether you desire tranquil relaxation or round-the-clock excitement, there is plenty on offer to suit all tastes.
- Vibrant nightlife with a nightclub, theatre and various events showcasing in-house performers, complementing the many bars
- Exceptional culinary range offering something for every occasion
- All inclusive programme include unlimited food and beverages, plus access to beautiful gardens and private beaches
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Enjoy the holiday of a lifetime in Mexico's renowned Cancun coastline lapping up the awesome weather for 8 blissful...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Grand Oasis Cancun is a high class lively all inclusive hotel where you will never experience a dull moment. Situated...