Etihad Airways Back to servicing Sri Lanka holidays
Following the end of the country's civil war, Etihad Airways is ready to start serving the Sri Lanka holidays market again as it launches a new 4-weekly flight route set to start flying from January 2010.
The United Arab Emirates s’ national airlines, Etihad Airways is finally ready to open up to the Sri Lanka holidays market after the country’s civil war officially came to an end just a couple of months ago. It seems like the airline is ready to welcome the Sri Lanka flight rout once again by devoting a new 4-weekly frequency to Colombo, starting January 2010.
The new flight routes will be serviced by an Airbus A320 and will connect Abu Dhabi to the most popular city of Sri Lanka holidays and also the largest of them all; the capital of Colombo. The move follows the recent culmination of the country’s civil war conflicts, after which much anticipation has been building up concerning the recovery of the island’s wider economy as well as a predicted boost to the popularity of Sri Lanka holidays. And judging for the months of July and August 2009 the Sri Lanka holidays boom is already happening as these summer months saw a 30% increase in visitors to the island when compared to the same period last year. The Sri Lankan government is now targeting 2.5 million visitors a year by 2016.
“Sri Lanka is an established market with a strong local traffic base. We expect the resumption of Etihad flights to be welcomed by the considerable Sri Lankan expatriate community living in the UAE and those living across the Middle East region who will be able to connect quickly and easily back home via Abu Dhabi.
“Colombo will be our first new route launch of 2010, and bring to 58 the number of destinations available across our expanding global network.”said Etihad Airways’ chief executive, James Hogan.
New flight EY266 will depart from Abu Dhabi on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays at 9.55pm arriving at Colombo’s Bandaranaike International Airport at 3.45am the following day. The corresponding return flight EY267 will be departing Colombo on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 4.45am and arriving in Abu Dhabi at 8.00am the same morning. The timing of the flights has been carefully scheduled to facilitate onward connections from a number of key destinations on the airline’s network, including Moscow and North America.
Being the most visited of cities with the highest number Sri Lanka hotels, Colombo is not only the country’s capital but also the tourism capital of Sri Lanka holidays. With a population of around 650,000 people, Colombo is the island’s commercial centre, home to a majority of Sri Lanka's corporate offices, restaurants and entertainment venues. Famous landmarks in Colombo include the Galle Face Green, the Viharamahadevi Park and the National Museum.
To coincide with the resumption of Etihad’s Colombo service, Sri Lankan Airlines will now also add its ‘UL’ code on Etihad’s Abu Dhabi-Colombo flights. Etihad will operate a two-class Airbus A320 to Colombo, configured to carry 140 passengers with 20 seats in business class and 120 in economy class.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Fairmont Ajman is surrounded by stunning white sandy beaches and year round sunshine, just 30 minutes from the bustling...