Sol Melia celebrates Cuba holidays with "National Cuban Culture Day"
Paying their tribute to 'National Cuban Culture Day' the Sol Melia Hotel Group will be celebrating to mark the day's festivities at their Cuba hotels. Starting tomorrow they will be hosting a range of events at their Havana Melia Cohiba hotel
‘National Cuban Culture’ is widely celebrated throughout the island today, since a day like today back in 1868 Cuba’s national anthem was first sung. To pay tribute to this special cultural celebration the Sol Meliá Group will be hosting a special musical event at their five-star landmark Meliá Cohiba hotel in Havana.
With a wide range of Cuba hotels all throughout the island, Sol Meliá has a strong presence in the island and as one of the leading hoteliers in the country it feels obligued to commemorate Cuba’s culture in a special way.
The official celebration ceremony will start tomorrow 20th October, 2009 as the Meliá Cohiba hotel’s main theatre hosts an encounter with former and current members of vocal quartettes and quintets. The Salon Cetro will be the venue of this magnificent tribute to one of the most significant and genuinely Cuban artistic expressions, a tribute especially dedicated also to its greatest exponents and to those who continue to perpetuate this musical genre and the most authentic Cuban beats.
The 1950´s and 1960´s marked the splendour of this popular musical format in Cuba, when popular groups such as Las D´Aidas and Los Zafiros filled the radio waves, prime time television programs, popular night clubs and carnival festivities. Many of the voices which in time became national emblematic figures were forged in quartettes or quintets. Omara Portuondo, the Diva of Buena Vista Social Club, was initially a member of Las D´Aidas.
And what a better way to celebrate Cuba holidays than by honouring its rich musical culture? This encounter is part of Sol Melia´s endeavours to promote Cuba holidays with culture, so that guests and travel partners can all fully appreciate and become familiar with the leading expressions of Cuban culture, present in the design of its Cuba hotels, culinary offers, entertainment activities and in the service offered by its staff. The holding of this event coincides with a photographic by Spanish photographer José Antonio Robés on Havana, in the Meliá Cohiba Hotel , where the promotion of Cuban art can be observed in its art gallery or in the variety shows offered in the spectacular Habana Café.
Prominent Cuban artistic personalities have also been invited for this special occasion, including journalists from the specialised Cuba travel media, researchers, musicologists, directors, actors, radio and television program hosts and other representatives from the film industry and the performing arts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Stay entertained with daily activities, land sports, water sports and lively shows
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...