Sol Melia celebrates Cuba holidays with "National Cuban Culture Day"
Paying their tribute to 'National Cuban Culture Day' the Sol Melia Hotel Group will be celebrating to mark the day's festivities at their Cuba hotels. Starting tomorrow they will be hosting a range of events at their Havana Melia Cohiba hotel
‘National Cuban Culture’ is widely celebrated throughout the island today, since a day like today back in 1868 Cuba’s national anthem was first sung. To pay tribute to this special cultural celebration the Sol Meliá Group will be hosting a special musical event at their five-star landmark Meliá Cohiba hotel in Havana.
With a wide range of Cuba hotels all throughout the island, Sol Meliá has a strong presence in the island and as one of the leading hoteliers in the country it feels obligued to commemorate Cuba’s culture in a special way.
The official celebration ceremony will start tomorrow 20th October, 2009 as the Meliá Cohiba hotel’s main theatre hosts an encounter with former and current members of vocal quartettes and quintets. The Salon Cetro will be the venue of this magnificent tribute to one of the most significant and genuinely Cuban artistic expressions, a tribute especially dedicated also to its greatest exponents and to those who continue to perpetuate this musical genre and the most authentic Cuban beats.
The 1950´s and 1960´s marked the splendour of this popular musical format in Cuba, when popular groups such as Las D´Aidas and Los Zafiros filled the radio waves, prime time television programs, popular night clubs and carnival festivities. Many of the voices which in time became national emblematic figures were forged in quartettes or quintets. Omara Portuondo, the Diva of Buena Vista Social Club, was initially a member of Las D´Aidas.
And what a better way to celebrate Cuba holidays than by honouring its rich musical culture? This encounter is part of Sol Melia´s endeavours to promote Cuba holidays with culture, so that guests and travel partners can all fully appreciate and become familiar with the leading expressions of Cuban culture, present in the design of its Cuba hotels, culinary offers, entertainment activities and in the service offered by its staff. The holding of this event coincides with a photographic by Spanish photographer José Antonio Robés on Havana, in the Meliá Cohiba Hotel , where the promotion of Cuban art can be observed in its art gallery or in the variety shows offered in the spectacular Habana Café.
Prominent Cuban artistic personalities have also been invited for this special occasion, including journalists from the specialised Cuba travel media, researchers, musicologists, directors, actors, radio and television program hosts and other representatives from the film industry and the performing arts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...