Mauritius holiday industry climbs out of recession
With reports that the end of the recession is nearing, hope is on the horizon for holiday destination Mauritius as its position on the financial market rises, and consumer spending is on the increase with more people booking Mauritius holidays.
The amount of travellers taking Mauritius holidays is set to rise over coming months as the island slowly recovers from the impact of the global recession which has curbed spending habits. The SEMDEX index .MDEX of the Mauritius market exceeded its position in 61 weeks with the index closing at 1,743.30 points, up nine per cent from its dismal position in March this year.
Roelof Horne, Investec Asset Management’s Portfolio Manager, said:
"Mauritius has been among the strongest performing bourses in sub-Saharan Africa this year, along with South Africa. I don't think it's terribly expensive but it's not terribly cheap either."
Situated in the Indian Ocean, Mauritius is one of the Mascarene Islands and is a popular destination for high end travellers, honeymooners and couples who are looking to get married abroad.
With a tropical climate of warm temperatures, white pristine sandy beaches, stunning natural beauty, and home to the extinct Dodo, the idyllic island is a popular tourist destination for visitors taking luxury Mauritius holidays.
However, as the world fell into an economic crisis, holidays in Mauritius were considered a luxury that many could not afford and visitor numbers to the region began to fall.
Despite this, the tourist hot spot seems to be picking up pace in the market and it is expected that the amount of visitors taking Mauritius holidays will increase this winter as consumer spending begins to rise again.
Mauritius hotels are expected to make a slower recovery over the next eighteen months as they struggle to fill available rooms and are currently a large risk to market instability.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
Set on the island's longest beach, beside a snorkelling paradise, Long Beach is a modern wonder with mountain scenery and an urban twist
- Enjoy a range of water sports including kayaking, boat tours and paddles boats
- Golfers can take advantage of complimentary green fees and the Free Shuttle Service to Ile aux Cerfs Championship Course
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
Feel all your worries melt away in an all-suite resort brimming with exclusive touches of luxury and refinement designed by world-famous fashion icon, Kenzo
- Upgrade your holiday to Full-board for breakfast, lunch and dinner and local drinks including soft drinks, beer and rum, tea/coffee and water
- Enjoy waterskiing, snorkelling or arrange swimming with dolphins or whale watching
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
The Ambre Hotel is one exclusive property that will enthral travellers and boasts uninterrupted views of the tropical...
Enjoy the island paradise of Mauritius during an 8-day stay at the luxurious Long Beach. Occupying the longest stretch...
Spend seven magical days in the beautiful Mauritius, enjoying its Indian Ocean coastline. The Heritage Awali gives you a...
The first Sofitel SO brand in the world is a luxury Eco resort, set in an oasis of nature in the south of Mauritius,...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...
When you're looking for the perfect holiday, it's nice to have some assurances. As well as being a three star plus...