Mauritius holiday industry climbs out of recession
With reports that the end of the recession is nearing, hope is on the horizon for holiday destination Mauritius as its position on the financial market rises, and consumer spending is on the increase with more people booking Mauritius holidays.
The amount of travellers taking Mauritius holidays is set to rise over coming months as the island slowly recovers from the impact of the global recession which has curbed spending habits. The SEMDEX index .MDEX of the Mauritius market exceeded its position in 61 weeks with the index closing at 1,743.30 points, up nine per cent from its dismal position in March this year.
Roelof Horne, Investec Asset Management’s Portfolio Manager, said:
"Mauritius has been among the strongest performing bourses in sub-Saharan Africa this year, along with South Africa. I don't think it's terribly expensive but it's not terribly cheap either."
Situated in the Indian Ocean, Mauritius is one of the Mascarene Islands and is a popular destination for high end travellers, honeymooners and couples who are looking to get married abroad.
With a tropical climate of warm temperatures, white pristine sandy beaches, stunning natural beauty, and home to the extinct Dodo, the idyllic island is a popular tourist destination for visitors taking luxury Mauritius holidays.
However, as the world fell into an economic crisis, holidays in Mauritius were considered a luxury that many could not afford and visitor numbers to the region began to fall.
Despite this, the tourist hot spot seems to be picking up pace in the market and it is expected that the amount of visitors taking Mauritius holidays will increase this winter as consumer spending begins to rise again.
Mauritius hotels are expected to make a slower recovery over the next eighteen months as they struggle to fill available rooms and are currently a large risk to market instability.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
luxury resort ideal for both couples and families
- Click through for our special Honeymoon Offers
- Located on the Bel Ombre's beach the resort is offering own nature reserve to explore
- Guests can benefit from a daily free green fees, mini bar in each room, or the fabulous spa treatments including one free 45-minute spa treatment per person per stay
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
The beauty of the East coast of Mauritius is without question, and all can be enjoyed at Laguna Beach Hotel & Spa, set...
One of the newest and most beautiful hotels to be gracing the sunkissed eastern shore of Mauritius in Palmar, the Ambre...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...