Mauritius holiday industry climbs out of recession
With reports that the end of the recession is nearing, hope is on the horizon for holiday destination Mauritius as its position on the financial market rises, and consumer spending is on the increase with more people booking Mauritius holidays.
The amount of travellers taking Mauritius holidays is set to rise over coming months as the island slowly recovers from the impact of the global recession which has curbed spending habits. The SEMDEX index .MDEX of the Mauritius market exceeded its position in 61 weeks with the index closing at 1,743.30 points, up nine per cent from its dismal position in March this year.
Roelof Horne, Investec Asset Management’s Portfolio Manager, said:
"Mauritius has been among the strongest performing bourses in sub-Saharan Africa this year, along with South Africa. I don't think it's terribly expensive but it's not terribly cheap either."
Situated in the Indian Ocean, Mauritius is one of the Mascarene Islands and is a popular destination for high end travellers, honeymooners and couples who are looking to get married abroad.
With a tropical climate of warm temperatures, white pristine sandy beaches, stunning natural beauty, and home to the extinct Dodo, the idyllic island is a popular tourist destination for visitors taking luxury Mauritius holidays.
However, as the world fell into an economic crisis, holidays in Mauritius were considered a luxury that many could not afford and visitor numbers to the region began to fall.
Despite this, the tourist hot spot seems to be picking up pace in the market and it is expected that the amount of visitors taking Mauritius holidays will increase this winter as consumer spending begins to rise again.
Mauritius hotels are expected to make a slower recovery over the next eighteen months as they struggle to fill available rooms and are currently a large risk to market instability.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
Take delight in the bare necessities of life when you stay at this peaceful retreat, created for body and soul rejuvenation.
- Enjoy delicious seafood barefeet in the sand at L'Ocean restaurant
- Admire beautiful sunsets from the deck around the infinity pool
- Treat yourself with a complimentary Hammam at the Spa Attitude
Set on the island's longest beach, beside a snorkelling paradise, Long Beach is a modern wonder with mountain scenery and an urban twist
- Enjoy a range of water sports including kayaking, boat tours and paddles boats
- Golfers can take advantage of complimentary green fees and the Free Shuttle Service to Ile aux Cerfs Championship Course
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
Set amidst a landscape of lush vegetation, mountains and the clear waters of the Indian Ocean, the Heritage Awali oozes luxury and offers first-class service
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy attentive all-inclusive service in a unique setting in Bel Ombre with its own nature reserve
- Get a complimentary round of golf per day and a free spa treatment per stay
The Ambre Hotel is one exclusive property that will enthral travellers and boasts uninterrupted views of the tropical...
Enjoy the stunning Indian Ocean coastline at the Heritage Awali, sitting in a prime location to admire and savour the...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...
Make Mauritius your next holiday and revel in the tropical sun while lounging on sugary white sands and drinking in the...