Importance of Barbados Holidays Explored by Children
Barbados's Ministry of Tourism wants all Barbadians to be made aware of the importance of tourism for the country, including the smaller ones. And this is why they have taken an initiative to involve children from a young age into tourist activities
Barbados wants all its citizens to be fully aware of the importance of Barbados holidays in the island and the key role that the tourism industry plays as one of the country’s main economic pillars. In its effort to expand such awareness to all levels of the Barbadian community the Tourism Ministry reinforced the idea of putting forward new initiatives to engage even the little ones into the care and protection of their island so it continues to be a desirable top Caribbean holidays destination.
This was stressed by Minister of Tourism, Richard Sealy, as he addressed the audience of participant students who took part in the ‘2009 Florida Caribbean Cruise Association (FCCA) Children's Essay Contest.’
"The Ministry has therefore always had a vigorous awareness programme where it seeks to involve children from a young age and encourage them to enter competitions both at the local and regional levels." Mr Sealy declared.
The Minister also noted that the topic of Barbados holidays always had a very successful record with these competitions from as far as 1995, when the FCCA Essay contest was founded. It saw Barbados winning the first Regional title, when Jason Francis, then a student of the St. Silas Primary, and now President of the Barbados Youth Development Council, won with an essay entitled "What Cruise Tourism Means to My Country".
Reflecting on the island's achievements on the improvement of the general tourist infrastructure and the maintenance of high standards at Barbados hotels, Mr. Sealy observed, "Such successes give us a clear indication of our children's understanding of the tourism industry and their ability to articulate their thoughts and their ideas, whether ... expressed through their posters, essays or photographs in different competitions. Our children demonstrate that they understand what the tourism industry is all about and the standard of living we all enjoy."
Acknowledging that awareness of the importance of Barbados holidays was one of the goals of his Ministry as Mr. Sealy himself pointed out: "Some of these children put some very credible solutions to the challenges that we face in tourism and as a nation. It is particularly gratifying that some of the initiatives that you are pushing today, the children of the future seem to recognise and there will be some continuity."
Quoting a fragment from one of Barbados holidays' top essay, written by Christian Alleyne, the Tourism Minister reflected: "So, for example, when Christian speaks to ‘the need to develop more tasty treats for our tourists' he is really speaking to culinary tourism that we are trying to develop and the food festival that we are working on."
Meanwhile, Marsha Armstrong, the ministry’s Tourism Development Officer, said there was a tremendous response by Barbadian students to this year's contest highlighting the importance of Barbados holidays, with some 60 entries received from over 25 schools across the island.
This year's topic was: "During this global economic downturn, what can a destination which lives on tourism do to persuade more ships to come to their destination?" This time it was nine-year old Christian Alleyne who won third place for Barbados in the Junior Division at the regional level, and topped the Junior Division at the local level of the competition. He received a cash scholarship award in the amount of US$1000, and a cheque in the same amount for his school (Soteria Home School).
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Savings of upto 45% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...