Sri Lanka welcomes increase in UK holiday makers
Sri Lanka's travel and tourism sector is taking a positive turn this year as the number of visitors taking Sri Lanka holidays increases despite the island battling with human rights disputes and the ongoing effect of the global recession.
The number of UK travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays this year has increased even though the island is currently in disputes over human rights violations. The picturesque island situated in the Indian Ocean has recently seen an end to the ongoing civil war between Sri Lanka's Tamil people and Sinhalese people, which lasted over 25 years.
Despite the end of the civil war, the United Nations is currently looking into reports of human rights violations within the last few years of the bloody war.
August saw a record number of UK travellers taking holidays in Sri Lanka, with a 16.9 per cent increase and 1000 more visitors staying at Sri Lanka hotels and resorts in the stunning destination compared to the same time last year. The island also saw a welcoming 32 per cent rise in travellers arrivals from all over the world.
UK director of tourism, Sanjika Perera, said:
"We are delighted that people have chosen to visit over the last few months showing the renewed confidence in Sri Lanka as a safe and value for money destination.
"We have worked on a persistent promotional campaign in conjunction with the hotel industry back home and with our airline and tour operator partners in the UK and the results have been very positive.
"To have improved visitor figures during the recession shows that the British public are aware of the diversity that Sri Lanka offers and keen to experience an Indian Ocean break, at an attractive price."
The influx of visitors taking Sri Lanka holidays is thought to have been helped by the end of the island's conflicts, and the opening of three major tourist attractions, Arugam Bay, Yala National Park, and Trincomalee.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Take advantage of a this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Embark on a holiday of a lifetime with this amazing twin centre special offer
- Indulge your senses with the amazing spa treatments at the Avani Kalutara
- Enjoy an authentic Rajasthani meal with a local Indian family in Jaipur
- Buy some amazing souvenirs made by sculptors who claim to be direct descendants of the craftsmen who built the Taj Mahal
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...