Sri Lanka welcomes increase in UK holiday makers
Sri Lanka's travel and tourism sector is taking a positive turn this year as the number of visitors taking Sri Lanka holidays increases despite the island battling with human rights disputes and the ongoing effect of the global recession.
The number of UK travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays this year has increased even though the island is currently in disputes over human rights violations. The picturesque island situated in the Indian Ocean has recently seen an end to the ongoing civil war between Sri Lanka's Tamil people and Sinhalese people, which lasted over 25 years.
Despite the end of the civil war, the United Nations is currently looking into reports of human rights violations within the last few years of the bloody war.
August saw a record number of UK travellers taking holidays in Sri Lanka, with a 16.9 per cent increase and 1000 more visitors staying at Sri Lanka hotels and resorts in the stunning destination compared to the same time last year. The island also saw a welcoming 32 per cent rise in travellers arrivals from all over the world.
UK director of tourism, Sanjika Perera, said:
"We are delighted that people have chosen to visit over the last few months showing the renewed confidence in Sri Lanka as a safe and value for money destination.
"We have worked on a persistent promotional campaign in conjunction with the hotel industry back home and with our airline and tour operator partners in the UK and the results have been very positive.
"To have improved visitor figures during the recession shows that the British public are aware of the diversity that Sri Lanka offers and keen to experience an Indian Ocean break, at an attractive price."
The influx of visitors taking Sri Lanka holidays is thought to have been helped by the end of the island's conflicts, and the opening of three major tourist attractions, Arugam Bay, Yala National Park, and Trincomalee.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....