Sri Lanka welcomes increase in UK holiday makers
Sri Lanka's travel and tourism sector is taking a positive turn this year as the number of visitors taking Sri Lanka holidays increases despite the island battling with human rights disputes and the ongoing effect of the global recession.
The number of UK travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays this year has increased even though the island is currently in disputes over human rights violations. The picturesque island situated in the Indian Ocean has recently seen an end to the ongoing civil war between Sri Lanka's Tamil people and Sinhalese people, which lasted over 25 years.
Despite the end of the civil war, the United Nations is currently looking into reports of human rights violations within the last few years of the bloody war.
August saw a record number of UK travellers taking holidays in Sri Lanka, with a 16.9 per cent increase and 1000 more visitors staying at Sri Lanka hotels and resorts in the stunning destination compared to the same time last year. The island also saw a welcoming 32 per cent rise in travellers arrivals from all over the world.
UK director of tourism, Sanjika Perera, said:
"We are delighted that people have chosen to visit over the last few months showing the renewed confidence in Sri Lanka as a safe and value for money destination.
"We have worked on a persistent promotional campaign in conjunction with the hotel industry back home and with our airline and tour operator partners in the UK and the results have been very positive.
"To have improved visitor figures during the recession shows that the British public are aware of the diversity that Sri Lanka offers and keen to experience an Indian Ocean break, at an attractive price."
The influx of visitors taking Sri Lanka holidays is thought to have been helped by the end of the island's conflicts, and the opening of three major tourist attractions, Arugam Bay, Yala National Park, and Trincomalee.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
Mount Lavinia is one of Sri Lanka's oldest hotel and with its impressive 200 plus years of heritage it has...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...