Independent holiday makers to enjoy same protection as package holidays
Travel Association, ABTA, are to hold discussions with the government about the current lack of financial protection and benefits for independent travellers in comparison to travellers who book package holidays arranged by travel agents and operators.
Travellers who book flights and accommodation independently may soon receive the same financial benefits as travellers who book package holidays. ABTA, a leading travel association, will be meeting with the civil aviation authority and the government to discuss the future of financial security for independent bookings.
Package holidays have always been the easy and often cheaper option for travellers looking to take holidays without having the stress of organising it all themselves. Package holidays cover all areas from skiing trips, diving holidays, city breaks, luxury holidays, and adventure breaks. These days it can often be cheaper to book hotels, flights, and transfers separately without the help of travel agents, but the downside is that travellers could lose money if something were to go wrong.
The majority of travel agents are ABTA registered and travellers booking package holidays through them are usually financially protected if something were to happen during their luxury holidays, family escapes or ski holidays.
It is hoped that if talks are successful, independent travellers will soon be able to benefit from ABTA registered holidays.
Independent holiday bookings look to increase over the next 12 months as many travel agents are suffering financially with many closing down. The impact of this is likely to cause an increase in the cost of package holidays during 2010. By booking travel arrangements independently, this could now become a cheaper option for many travellers looking to take a break.
ABTA think the current arrangements are unfair towards independent travellers and are hoping that the discussions will resolve the problem.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...