Independent holiday makers to enjoy same protection as package holidays
Travel Association, ABTA, are to hold discussions with the government about the current lack of financial protection and benefits for independent travellers in comparison to travellers who book package holidays arranged by travel agents and operators.
Travellers who book flights and accommodation independently may soon receive the same financial benefits as travellers who book package holidays. ABTA, a leading travel association, will be meeting with the civil aviation authority and the government to discuss the future of financial security for independent bookings.
Package holidays have always been the easy and often cheaper option for travellers looking to take holidays without having the stress of organising it all themselves. Package holidays cover all areas from skiing trips, diving holidays, city breaks, luxury holidays, and adventure breaks. These days it can often be cheaper to book hotels, flights, and transfers separately without the help of travel agents, but the downside is that travellers could lose money if something were to go wrong.
The majority of travel agents are ABTA registered and travellers booking package holidays through them are usually financially protected if something were to happen during their luxury holidays, family escapes or ski holidays.
It is hoped that if talks are successful, independent travellers will soon be able to benefit from ABTA registered holidays.
Independent holiday bookings look to increase over the next 12 months as many travel agents are suffering financially with many closing down. The impact of this is likely to cause an increase in the cost of package holidays during 2010. By booking travel arrangements independently, this could now become a cheaper option for many travellers looking to take a break.
ABTA think the current arrangements are unfair towards independent travellers and are hoping that the discussions will resolve the problem.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...