Independent holiday makers to enjoy same protection as package holidays
Travel Association, ABTA, are to hold discussions with the government about the current lack of financial protection and benefits for independent travellers in comparison to travellers who book package holidays arranged by travel agents and operators.
Travellers who book flights and accommodation independently may soon receive the same financial benefits as travellers who book package holidays. ABTA, a leading travel association, will be meeting with the civil aviation authority and the government to discuss the future of financial security for independent bookings.
Package holidays have always been the easy and often cheaper option for travellers looking to take holidays without having the stress of organising it all themselves. Package holidays cover all areas from skiing trips, diving holidays, city breaks, luxury holidays, and adventure breaks. These days it can often be cheaper to book hotels, flights, and transfers separately without the help of travel agents, but the downside is that travellers could lose money if something were to go wrong.
The majority of travel agents are ABTA registered and travellers booking package holidays through them are usually financially protected if something were to happen during their luxury holidays, family escapes or ski holidays.
It is hoped that if talks are successful, independent travellers will soon be able to benefit from ABTA registered holidays.
Independent holiday bookings look to increase over the next 12 months as many travel agents are suffering financially with many closing down. The impact of this is likely to cause an increase in the cost of package holidays during 2010. By booking travel arrangements independently, this could now become a cheaper option for many travellers looking to take a break.
ABTA think the current arrangements are unfair towards independent travellers and are hoping that the discussions will resolve the problem.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...