Independent holiday makers to enjoy same protection as package holidays
Travel Association, ABTA, are to hold discussions with the government about the current lack of financial protection and benefits for independent travellers in comparison to travellers who book package holidays arranged by travel agents and operators.
Travellers who book flights and accommodation independently may soon receive the same financial benefits as travellers who book package holidays. ABTA, a leading travel association, will be meeting with the civil aviation authority and the government to discuss the future of financial security for independent bookings.
Package holidays have always been the easy and often cheaper option for travellers looking to take holidays without having the stress of organising it all themselves. Package holidays cover all areas from skiing trips, diving holidays, city breaks, luxury holidays, and adventure breaks. These days it can often be cheaper to book hotels, flights, and transfers separately without the help of travel agents, but the downside is that travellers could lose money if something were to go wrong.
The majority of travel agents are ABTA registered and travellers booking package holidays through them are usually financially protected if something were to happen during their luxury holidays, family escapes or ski holidays.
It is hoped that if talks are successful, independent travellers will soon be able to benefit from ABTA registered holidays.
Independent holiday bookings look to increase over the next 12 months as many travel agents are suffering financially with many closing down. The impact of this is likely to cause an increase in the cost of package holidays during 2010. By booking travel arrangements independently, this could now become a cheaper option for many travellers looking to take a break.
ABTA think the current arrangements are unfair towards independent travellers and are hoping that the discussions will resolve the problem.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...