Independent holiday makers to enjoy same protection as package holidays
Travel Association, ABTA, are to hold discussions with the government about the current lack of financial protection and benefits for independent travellers in comparison to travellers who book package holidays arranged by travel agents and operators.
Travellers who book flights and accommodation independently may soon receive the same financial benefits as travellers who book package holidays. ABTA, a leading travel association, will be meeting with the civil aviation authority and the government to discuss the future of financial security for independent bookings.
Package holidays have always been the easy and often cheaper option for travellers looking to take holidays without having the stress of organising it all themselves. Package holidays cover all areas from skiing trips, diving holidays, city breaks, luxury holidays, and adventure breaks. These days it can often be cheaper to book hotels, flights, and transfers separately without the help of travel agents, but the downside is that travellers could lose money if something were to go wrong.
The majority of travel agents are ABTA registered and travellers booking package holidays through them are usually financially protected if something were to happen during their luxury holidays, family escapes or ski holidays.
It is hoped that if talks are successful, independent travellers will soon be able to benefit from ABTA registered holidays.
Independent holiday bookings look to increase over the next 12 months as many travel agents are suffering financially with many closing down. The impact of this is likely to cause an increase in the cost of package holidays during 2010. By booking travel arrangements independently, this could now become a cheaper option for many travellers looking to take a break.
ABTA think the current arrangements are unfair towards independent travellers and are hoping that the discussions will resolve the problem.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- The first 30 bookings for travel in September or October will also get free upgrades to Sea View rooms in both hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...