Two Big U.S Celebrities open Cinema Festival at Cuba hotel
American actor Danny Glover and singer Harry Belafonte were invited as guests of honour at the inauguration of a new centre promoting Caribbean cinema in Havana. The event took place last month at the Melia Cohiba, one of the most elegant of Cuba hotels
Two famous U.S. celebrities were gracing Havana streets as they took Cuba holidays during the inauguration of a new centre created in the capital to promote Caribbean cinema. The famous ‘Lethal Weapon’ actor Danny Glover and the King of Calypso singer Harry Belafonte were delighted to attend the opening of this new centre and take the chance to fully enjoy Cuba holidays during their time in Havana.
The stars had been formally invited to attend the new ‘Casa de Cine del Caribe’ as the distinguished guests of honour in charge of opening the official ceremony. The inauguration of this new venue took place last 18th September and coincided with the celebration of the second edition of the ‘Travelling Caribbean Festival” which is a project that involves showcasing Caribbean films to children and teenagers in order to support and expand the cinematic appeal in the Caribbean. The initiative has already reached as many as 31 countries in the area and continues drawing support locally.
Cuban Culture Minister Abel Prieto, who attended the inauguration of the office, highlighted the talent and ethical values of the two American artists stressing that both artists have paid high price for their solidarity and faithfulness to their own principles. On their part, both celebrities offered support for ending the travel ban imposed on U.S. citizens that currently forbids them from taking Cuba holidays. On his own words, Belafonte declared:
"The policy toward Cuba — yes, I like a lot of people am disappointed," the 82-year-old singer known as the King of Calypso said in a brief interview "I think Obama opened up large expectations when he hit on the theme of change, without being specific as to what he meant by change."
"We’re waiting to see what does change really mean," he added. "But I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt that the best is yet to come."
During their time in the island, both actors made the most of their Cuba holidays took the time to visit the ‘Route of the Slave’ Museum in the city of Matanzas. The UN Goodwill Ambassador and actor expressed his joy at getting in touch with its African-Caribbean roots upon visiting the museum:
“When I arrived to Cuba and went to this museum I appreciated the contact between the two nations since I was in the place were the slaves were shipped. The first thing that had an impact on me is the historical memories, which allows me to feel like I also belong here”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...