Two Big U.S Celebrities open Cinema Festival at Cuba hotel
American actor Danny Glover and singer Harry Belafonte were invited as guests of honour at the inauguration of a new centre promoting Caribbean cinema in Havana. The event took place last month at the Melia Cohiba, one of the most elegant of Cuba hotels
Two famous U.S. celebrities were gracing Havana streets as they took Cuba holidays during the inauguration of a new centre created in the capital to promote Caribbean cinema. The famous ‘Lethal Weapon’ actor Danny Glover and the King of Calypso singer Harry Belafonte were delighted to attend the opening of this new centre and take the chance to fully enjoy Cuba holidays during their time in Havana.
The stars had been formally invited to attend the new ‘Casa de Cine del Caribe’ as the distinguished guests of honour in charge of opening the official ceremony. The inauguration of this new venue took place last 18th September and coincided with the celebration of the second edition of the ‘Travelling Caribbean Festival” which is a project that involves showcasing Caribbean films to children and teenagers in order to support and expand the cinematic appeal in the Caribbean. The initiative has already reached as many as 31 countries in the area and continues drawing support locally.
Cuban Culture Minister Abel Prieto, who attended the inauguration of the office, highlighted the talent and ethical values of the two American artists stressing that both artists have paid high price for their solidarity and faithfulness to their own principles. On their part, both celebrities offered support for ending the travel ban imposed on U.S. citizens that currently forbids them from taking Cuba holidays. On his own words, Belafonte declared:
"The policy toward Cuba — yes, I like a lot of people am disappointed," the 82-year-old singer known as the King of Calypso said in a brief interview "I think Obama opened up large expectations when he hit on the theme of change, without being specific as to what he meant by change."
"We’re waiting to see what does change really mean," he added. "But I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt that the best is yet to come."
During their time in the island, both actors made the most of their Cuba holidays took the time to visit the ‘Route of the Slave’ Museum in the city of Matanzas. The UN Goodwill Ambassador and actor expressed his joy at getting in touch with its African-Caribbean roots upon visiting the museum:
“When I arrived to Cuba and went to this museum I appreciated the contact between the two nations since I was in the place were the slaves were shipped. The first thing that had an impact on me is the historical memories, which allows me to feel like I also belong here”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...