Two Big U.S Celebrities open Cinema Festival at Cuba hotel
American actor Danny Glover and singer Harry Belafonte were invited as guests of honour at the inauguration of a new centre promoting Caribbean cinema in Havana. The event took place last month at the Melia Cohiba, one of the most elegant of Cuba hotels
Two famous U.S. celebrities were gracing Havana streets as they took Cuba holidays during the inauguration of a new centre created in the capital to promote Caribbean cinema. The famous ‘Lethal Weapon’ actor Danny Glover and the King of Calypso singer Harry Belafonte were delighted to attend the opening of this new centre and take the chance to fully enjoy Cuba holidays during their time in Havana.
The stars had been formally invited to attend the new ‘Casa de Cine del Caribe’ as the distinguished guests of honour in charge of opening the official ceremony. The inauguration of this new venue took place last 18th September and coincided with the celebration of the second edition of the ‘Travelling Caribbean Festival” which is a project that involves showcasing Caribbean films to children and teenagers in order to support and expand the cinematic appeal in the Caribbean. The initiative has already reached as many as 31 countries in the area and continues drawing support locally.
Cuban Culture Minister Abel Prieto, who attended the inauguration of the office, highlighted the talent and ethical values of the two American artists stressing that both artists have paid high price for their solidarity and faithfulness to their own principles. On their part, both celebrities offered support for ending the travel ban imposed on U.S. citizens that currently forbids them from taking Cuba holidays. On his own words, Belafonte declared:
"The policy toward Cuba — yes, I like a lot of people am disappointed," the 82-year-old singer known as the King of Calypso said in a brief interview "I think Obama opened up large expectations when he hit on the theme of change, without being specific as to what he meant by change."
"We’re waiting to see what does change really mean," he added. "But I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt that the best is yet to come."
During their time in the island, both actors made the most of their Cuba holidays took the time to visit the ‘Route of the Slave’ Museum in the city of Matanzas. The UN Goodwill Ambassador and actor expressed his joy at getting in touch with its African-Caribbean roots upon visiting the museum:
“When I arrived to Cuba and went to this museum I appreciated the contact between the two nations since I was in the place were the slaves were shipped. The first thing that had an impact on me is the historical memories, which allows me to feel like I also belong here”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...