Jamaica's holiday industry boosted by Increase in Canadian Visitors
Jamaica is looking forward to seeing a needed boost in tourism and an economic turnaround this winter as the number of Canadians taking Jamaica holidays and visits increase and a number of new flights are launched from some of Canada's main cities.
After being one of the worst affected areas in the world hit by the global recession, Jamaica is climbing out of the economic mess with the help of Canadian visitors. Over recent times there has been a significant decline in European tourists taking Jamaica holidays and luxury breaks to other Caribbean destinations because of the position of the Euro and the global recession.
The number of Canadian stopover arrivals in the Caribbean enroute to other destinations has increased considerably and though they have not replaced the loss of tourists from other parts of the world taking Caribbean holidays, the numbers have definitely helped boost tourism figures and the region's travel industry.
The Caribbean heavily relies on US travellers taking holidays in Jamaica, Barbados, Antigua, Dominica Republic, and the Cayman Islands, but it looks like the region is set for a slow recovery, despite an increase in flights to the region from main U.S cities. Jamaica seems to be the least affected area in the Caribbean region, and in the first half of this year, the island saw a 27.7 percent increase in travellers from Canada taking holidays in Jamaica or stopover visits.
This has been helped by European travel companies and tour operators placing a strong presence in Canada in the early 2000's and the fact that Canada were not hit as badly by the global crisis as compared to many other countries. There will also be an increase in flights from Canada to Jamaica taking travellers on their Jamaica holidays and new routes from Winnipeg, Vancouver, and Calgary in Montego Bay.
New marketing strategies from hoteliers were put in place and the hard work seems to be paying off as Jamaica holiday industry expects 300,000 Canadian stopover visitors this year with a significant increase in visitors travelling to the island this winter.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...