Encouraging Eco-Cuba holidays at Caribbean's Largest Wetland
Cuba’s most famous ecological site and protected World Biosphere Reserve is being promoted by the island’s Tourism Ministry as they emphasize on the preserve’s eco-friendly potential for eco Cuba holidays.
Tourism officials are eager to promote the eco-friendly appeal aspect of Cuba holidays as they aim to drive more ecotourism to the island’s most famous ecological site and the largest wetland in the Caribbean, officially declared a World Biosphere Reserve in 2002.
For those green travellers who look for more than a good tan on their Cuba holidays, tourism officials have decided to open up the doors of Cuba’s green holidays potential and reinforce infrastructure at this ecological zone’s nearby hotels.
"We have four well-appointed hotels for nature-loving tourists, interested in hiking, bird-watching, diving or sport fishing," said Estanislao Rodríguez, Commercial Director of the tourist outfitter Cubanacán in the Cienaga.
The Zapata Peninsula is home to a unique variety of endemic flora and fauna boasting the largest crocodile reserve in the Caribbean and being the Caribbean’s best preserved wetlands. This is the home place of unique endemic birds such as the “soprano of the forest”, also known as the Zapa wren, a bird that charms all with its enchanting song. Seeing this tiny and shy bird is often a goal for visitors touring this area during their Cuba holidays.
These vast wetlands on the southern coast of the Matanzas province might be scarcely populated by humans but it is home to no less than 65% of Cuba’s bird species , 1,000 plant species and native amphibians, like the highly endangered Cuban crocodile (Crocodylus rhombifer), which is only found here, at the Cienaga de Zapata and at Cuba's southern Island de la Juventud (Isle of Youth.
This striking natural wonder is currently civistied by around 100,000 tourists a yer. With the new advertising campaign going under way, Cuba expects to encourage and drive more tourism to this relatively unexplored aspect of Cuba holidays. The campaign is being specially aimed at visitors from Europe, which have a strong demand for specialised eco-travel.
‘It is increasingly necessary to diversify Cuba's products, and nature tourism provides one such opportunity, but it will be done in a "sustainable" way’, said Manuel Marrero, Cuba’s Tourism Minister at an international meeting aimed at promoting Cienaga de Zapata as a new travel destination within the Cuba holidays package.
Pablo Bouza, director of the Cienaga de Zapata National Park, which extends over almost the wetlands area of 600,000 square km, also told Tierramérica that steps have been taken to ensure that tourism here "is not massive, but sustainable."
"Since we decided to make public use of these protected areas, their capacity for nature tourism has been studied... There are instruments for measuring the effectiveness of management for each activity, with evaluations carried out twice a year," he explained.
By way of example, Bouza cited the case of hiking in the wetlands' lagoon and cave system, where only three of a total of 90 flooded caverns will be open to visitors. Furthermore, on each visit, no more than seven people can enter, with a maximum of 15 people a day to ensure that eco-Cuba holidays remain sustainable and protect the local environment.
Officials also have faith in the close relationship between the tourism industry and the government agencies for environmental protection. As for Cuba hotels in the area there as many as 4 eco-friendly lodgings and hotels, ranging from 2* to 4* star accommodation in: Villa Guamá, Hotel Playa Girón and Hotel Playa Larga.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Be dazzled by captivating Havana and top up your tan on sizzling Varadero with this fantastic holiday package to two of Cuba’s most glistening gems – its famous capital city and its longest, most legendary beach.
- Ideal for golfers, the beachside resort is close to the Varadero Golf Club and Xanadu Mansion
- Occidental Miramar is located in the heart of Havana's tranquil and elegant Miramar district
- The Breezes Bella Costa is located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach; offers special discounts for families!
The perfect blend of cultural discovery and recreation, this Cuba holiday will let you experience two of its more glorious gems – historical Havana and the pristine beach of Varadero
- Baby Club and mini club available at the Villa Cuba hotel
- Non-motorized watersports including kayaks, windsurfing, sailing, water bicycles and snorkeling
- Occidental Miramar is located in the heart of Havana's Miramar District
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in Varadero where you will be staying in two top retreats.
- During your stay in Havana take our 2 day cultural tour from £99 per person which includes City tour of Havana, a Tobacco Plantation, Cigar Factory, sail along the river and see the Haystack Hillock Mountains and much more
- Included we will also give you £300 worth of extra added values, per couple for free including; guaranteed late check out, bottle of sparkling wine, Free room upgrade and much more
- Take advantage of the Non-motorised water sports in Varadero including; (catamaran, snorkelling & windsurfing)
Couples Special – Deluxe Havana City Break & Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect mix of exciting city life and pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- Amazing added values for couples, exclusive to The Holiday Place guests!
- In Havana couples will receive sparkling wine and fruit upon arrival, Late Check-Out & much more
Blau Marina Varadero (formerly Barcelo Marina Palace) sits beside the white sands of beautiful Varadero beach in front...
Sandals Royal Hicacos is a luxury all inclusive resort for "two people in love" over the age of 18 years. Set...
Breezes Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero. just 155 kilometers from the jose marti...