Predicted Upturn for Luxury Holidays in 2010
Luxury travel companies are predicting an increase in the luxury holidays sector for 2010. According to a report by PricewaterhouseCoopers, next year's luxury customers will also be more demanding
An increase in the popularity of luxury holidays for 2010 has been predicted by companies in the luxury travel sector as they expect a luxury holidays boom for next year. However, they are also expecting to deal with a markedly different customer, s more demanding-than-customer who asking for more transparent pricing and value for money.
According to a report by PricewaterhouseCoopers, internet-savvy deal hunters who will not stint on cost but who do demand value for money will be the norm in 2010. The report, to be released at this year’s Abta Travel Convention, also found that luxury tour operators have managed to maintain margins and market share despite the economic downturn and were able to keep selling a stable number of luxury holidays.
“The vast majority of businesses expect trading conditions to improve in 2010. Luxury is chartering a new course through these turbulent trading times with a resourceful and deal savvy consumer requiring value for money.
“Despite being a big ticket item - this consumer preference has partially insulated luxury travel operators from the discretionary spend cull felt elsewhere in the market.” said Guy Gillon, leisure director, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.
In a survey of more than 7,000 luxury club members when asked what items they would cut back on during the recession, only 18% cited their main holiday, which fell ninth in the selection behind designer labels, electronics, and restaurant meals. And only a fifth of respondents said they would downgrade to a cheaper destination despite the squeeze on their investments, which supports the growing strength of the luxury holidays trend.
In a similar survey, polling all demographics, 41% said they would cut back on holidays and weekends away first. Holidays came second only to dining and nights out.
“The difficult economic climate has led all customer demographics to reassess their travel habits,” added Gillon.
“The high net worth individuals and ABs are not moving to packaging or changing length of stay, but they are utilising the internet to scour the landscape for the right deal and right location at the right price.
“While some of these changes may be temporary the ‘buying clever’ trend is here to stay. To make it to the finish line, luxury travel businesses need to improve and develop their online presence and increase their portfolio of products in 2010” he concluded.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Go for the experience of lifetime on this self-driven Kruger route - a classical tour that offers something for everyone with magical views along the way.
- The package includes accommodation in carefully selected 4* properties, meals as well as car hire including a GPS during your entire journey
- The tour is 7 nights and 8 days long with insights into the history of South Africa, cultural diversity, adventure, scenic beauty and unforgettable safaris
- Enjoy 4 game drives including morning and afternoon safaris to see elephants, leopards, lions, rhinos, cheetahs, hippos and many more animals
Unique experience to discover the beautiful nature of South Africa and the dynamic life of Dubai
- More than ten different Food and Beverage Outlets for your choice at Hyatt Regency Dubai
- extraordinary South Africa tour gives you the flexibility to discover the beauty of this amazing country at your own speed
- Your hotel in Dubai enjoys a fantastic locaiton in the heart of the historic Deira within walking distance to the gold souks
Relaxing and unforgetable experince with 11 nights tour including an excellent range of facilities
- Experience the fruitful lifestyle of the Cape Region
- Discover the spectacular landscapes of the Kruger region
- Travel to Karongwe Private Game Reserve to get exclusive access, day and night, to a wide range of animals including the "Big Five"
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
A charming little retreat right at the heart of Tunis, Le Pacha is centrally located to give you easy access to all of...