Predicted Upturn for Luxury Holidays in 2010
Luxury travel companies are predicting an increase in the luxury holidays sector for 2010. According to a report by PricewaterhouseCoopers, next year's luxury customers will also be more demanding
An increase in the popularity of luxury holidays for 2010 has been predicted by companies in the luxury travel sector as they expect a luxury holidays boom for next year. However, they are also expecting to deal with a markedly different customer, s more demanding-than-customer who asking for more transparent pricing and value for money.
According to a report by PricewaterhouseCoopers, internet-savvy deal hunters who will not stint on cost but who do demand value for money will be the norm in 2010. The report, to be released at this year’s Abta Travel Convention, also found that luxury tour operators have managed to maintain margins and market share despite the economic downturn and were able to keep selling a stable number of luxury holidays.
“The vast majority of businesses expect trading conditions to improve in 2010. Luxury is chartering a new course through these turbulent trading times with a resourceful and deal savvy consumer requiring value for money.
“Despite being a big ticket item - this consumer preference has partially insulated luxury travel operators from the discretionary spend cull felt elsewhere in the market.” said Guy Gillon, leisure director, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.
In a survey of more than 7,000 luxury club members when asked what items they would cut back on during the recession, only 18% cited their main holiday, which fell ninth in the selection behind designer labels, electronics, and restaurant meals. And only a fifth of respondents said they would downgrade to a cheaper destination despite the squeeze on their investments, which supports the growing strength of the luxury holidays trend.
In a similar survey, polling all demographics, 41% said they would cut back on holidays and weekends away first. Holidays came second only to dining and nights out.
“The difficult economic climate has led all customer demographics to reassess their travel habits,” added Gillon.
“The high net worth individuals and ABs are not moving to packaging or changing length of stay, but they are utilising the internet to scour the landscape for the right deal and right location at the right price.
“While some of these changes may be temporary the ‘buying clever’ trend is here to stay. To make it to the finish line, luxury travel businesses need to improve and develop their online presence and increase their portfolio of products in 2010” he concluded.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Discover Morocco with plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment for the whole family
Benefit from the private balcony with wonderful garden or sea views at Agadir Beach Club
- Never waste a minute of your holiday with the activities for everyone to enjoy - indoor pool, kids' club, beach volleyball, table tennis and more
- Relax and enjoy the fabulous spa services and all massage treatment rooms
- Elegant and modern restaurants offering international, seafood, French, Moroccan and Italian cuisines
Travel through the wonderful winelands region of South Africa before a short stay in a fully-equipped Dubai city hotel
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha is set in Dubai's Al Barsha area, close to world-class shops, restaurants and popular Dubai attractions, just behind the Mall of The Emirates.
- Rental car included for the tour of South Africa
- Travel through the Winelands and Cape Peninsula in one of the most beautiful areas of the world
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Unique experience to discover the beautiful nature of South Africa and the dynamic life of Dubai
- More than ten different Food and Beverage Outlets for your choice at Hyatt Regency Dubai
- extraordinary South Africa tour gives you the flexibility to discover the beauty of this amazing country at your own speed
- Your hotel in Dubai enjoys a fantastic locaiton in the heart of the historic Deira within walking distance to the gold souks
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic combinations of...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Beautifully crafted to reflect modern Andalusian style, a Spanish region that was for long conquered by the Moroccan...