Predicted Upturn for Luxury Holidays in 2010
Luxury travel companies are predicting an increase in the luxury holidays sector for 2010. According to a report by PricewaterhouseCoopers, next year's luxury customers will also be more demanding
An increase in the popularity of luxury holidays for 2010 has been predicted by companies in the luxury travel sector as they expect a luxury holidays boom for next year. However, they are also expecting to deal with a markedly different customer, s more demanding-than-customer who asking for more transparent pricing and value for money.
According to a report by PricewaterhouseCoopers, internet-savvy deal hunters who will not stint on cost but who do demand value for money will be the norm in 2010. The report, to be released at this year’s Abta Travel Convention, also found that luxury tour operators have managed to maintain margins and market share despite the economic downturn and were able to keep selling a stable number of luxury holidays.
“The vast majority of businesses expect trading conditions to improve in 2010. Luxury is chartering a new course through these turbulent trading times with a resourceful and deal savvy consumer requiring value for money.
“Despite being a big ticket item - this consumer preference has partially insulated luxury travel operators from the discretionary spend cull felt elsewhere in the market.” said Guy Gillon, leisure director, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.
In a survey of more than 7,000 luxury club members when asked what items they would cut back on during the recession, only 18% cited their main holiday, which fell ninth in the selection behind designer labels, electronics, and restaurant meals. And only a fifth of respondents said they would downgrade to a cheaper destination despite the squeeze on their investments, which supports the growing strength of the luxury holidays trend.
In a similar survey, polling all demographics, 41% said they would cut back on holidays and weekends away first. Holidays came second only to dining and nights out.
“The difficult economic climate has led all customer demographics to reassess their travel habits,” added Gillon.
“The high net worth individuals and ABs are not moving to packaging or changing length of stay, but they are utilising the internet to scour the landscape for the right deal and right location at the right price.
“While some of these changes may be temporary the ‘buying clever’ trend is here to stay. To make it to the finish line, luxury travel businesses need to improve and develop their online presence and increase their portfolio of products in 2010” he concluded.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Travel through the wonderful winelands region of South Africa before a short stay in a fully-equipped Dubai city hotel
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha is set in Dubai's Al Barsha area, close to world-class shops, restaurants and popular Dubai attractions, just behind the Mall of The Emirates.
- Rental car included for the tour of South Africa
- Travel through the Winelands and Cape Peninsula in one of the most beautiful areas of the world
Go for the experience of lifetime on this self-driven Kruger route - a classical tour that offers something for everyone with magical views along the way.
- The package includes accommodation in carefully selected 4* properties, meals as well as car hire including a GPS during your entire journey
- The tour is 7 nights and 8 days long with insights into the history of South Africa, cultural diversity, adventure, scenic beauty and unforgettable safaris
- Enjoy 4 game drives including morning and afternoon safaris to see elephants, leopards, lions, rhinos, cheetahs, hippos and many more animals
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...
Discreet and unpretentious, yet charming and welcoming, Hotel Phebus enjoys a quiet location at the heart of La Marsa -...