Barbados holidays Urge Gordon Brown to Scrap UK Air Passenger Duty Charges
Barbados has now officially enlisted as part of a group in the travel industry urging the UK government to put an end to the Air Passenger Duty Charges on flights that take potential UK travellers to Barbados holidays.
Barbados has been one of the latest Caribbean countries to join in on the travel industry support group who are demanding the UK government to scrap Air Passenger Duty and put an end to the costly charges that are causing a direct negative effect on the decrease in number of UK travellers taking Barbados holidays and other Caribbean holidays.
The island’s Prime Minister David Thompson came to the UK to lobby the government to rethink the tax, which could add as much as £400 to the cost of family Barbados holidays.
Barbados’ move follows that of a number of other Caribbean countries, which have also been affected by the Caribbean holidays slump with fewer people taking Caribbean holidays this year. The Caribbean countries all jointly wrote to Gordon Brown requesting he rethinks the tax.
APD is hiked on November 1 from £40 to £50 in economy cabins and from £80 to £100. And from November 2010 the figure will be going up again to £75 and £150.
The chargers are widely regarded as unfairly penalising visitors taking Caribbean holidays because it is based on the distance from London to the capital city of the destination, rather than the actual miles flown. So, for example, a passenger will pay less APD to fly to Hawaii than he would when flying to take Barbados holidays.
Barbados’ aim is to scrap the second hike and get the Caribbean reclassified in the same tax band as the US, which will mean a hike to £60 in economy and £120 in premium.
When speaking on the issue, Barbados’ Prime Minister Thompson declared “I am delighted so many influential travel and tourism organizations in the UK are supporting our APD campaign. There was complete agreement amongst all those attending our meeting that this is an issue the British Government need to take very seriously.
“It is unfair to discriminate against visitors to our region, who will pay far more in APD than those traveling to destinations that are many thousands of miles further away.”
Last week, the Marketing director at Monarch Airlines, Tim Jeans, also gave a stark view on how APD could further hit the industry and especially affect Caribbean holidays. Speaking at a Chartered Institute of Marketing Travel Intelligence Group debate on air travel he said:
“Governments are beginning to turn towards air travel as a cash machine.
“From November 1 it will cost a family of four travelling to the Caribbean £400 in tax on Air Passenger Duty.
“We may yet have seen the peak of air travel.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Exclusive last minute DOUBLE FREE room upgrade to Deluxe Ocean View Suite as seen on Secret Escapes
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...