Prehistoric Mural Still Attracting Tourists on Cuba holidays After 50 years
The Prehistoric Mural in Cuba's western province of Pinar del Rio has just celebrated its 50th birthday. Situated on a rock amidst the World Heritage Site of "The Viñales Valley" it was painted in 1959 as one of the largest 120m al fresco paintings
Located on Cuba’s western province of Pinar del Rio, the Prehistoric Mural in “The Valley of Viñales” has just turned 50 years old, still standing as one of the largest open-air fresco paintings in the world and one of the major attractions for Cuba holidays on this blessed region of natural wonders, officially named a World Heritage Site since 1988.
Astonishingly the paintings have stood the test of time and weather thanks to a unique drainage system surrounding the rocks and preventing the accumulation of water that would otherwise be slowly washing the painting away. So, those planning Cuba holidays can still make the most of a trip to this valley viewing this natural work of art, as it looks likely that the painting will still be colourfully standing for many years to come.
The majestic 120-metre-high natural mural pays a tribute to the cultural past of the island with paintings of the native Taino Indians and dinosaurs which were draen on rocks that date back to the Jurassic Period. These paintings have been majestically enshrouded into the beautiful mountains of the Viñales Nationanl Park by painter and scientist Leovigildo Gonzalez (a student of the famous Mexican muralist Diego Rivera) who took special care to engrave art in this historical site, frequently visited by many travellers and tourists enjoying Cuba holidays in the region.
The fresco represents the bio-geologic past of this region that amazingly is one of the oldest in the Caribbean and one of the most well- preserved sites of Jurassic remains. Along with paintings of the aborigines who inhabited this area of the Cuban archipelago, are great mammals such as the extinct megalocnus rodens (giant bear) and ammonite molluscs, which are more than 70 million years old. Lovers of palaeontology and dinosaurs can also visit the nearby “Jurassic Park” with great stone statues of prehistoric creatures, a great attraction to take kids to during your Cuba holidays.
“Despite its good preservation, experts have retouched parts of the mural to prevent future damages and to bring back its bright colours,” said Segundo Roman, who manages the tourist resort located near this fresco.
To restore the mural, specialists used paints that are resistant to erosion and tropical storms that are common in this region of the country, a province located some 140 km west of Havana and which has been badly attacked by hurricanes in the past.
The Prehistory Mural, consisting of 12 pieces, is visited by more than 4,000 tourists each month, most of them from Canada, Germany and Spain who come to enjoy Cuba holidays in this breathtaking valley of international acclaim and wild beauty.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...