Prehistoric Mural Still Attracting Tourists on Cuba holidays After 50 years
The Prehistoric Mural in Cuba's western province of Pinar del Rio has just celebrated its 50th birthday. Situated on a rock amidst the World Heritage Site of "The Viñales Valley" it was painted in 1959 as one of the largest 120m al fresco paintings
Located on Cuba’s western province of Pinar del Rio, the Prehistoric Mural in “The Valley of Viñales” has just turned 50 years old, still standing as one of the largest open-air fresco paintings in the world and one of the major attractions for Cuba holidays on this blessed region of natural wonders, officially named a World Heritage Site since 1988.
Astonishingly the paintings have stood the test of time and weather thanks to a unique drainage system surrounding the rocks and preventing the accumulation of water that would otherwise be slowly washing the painting away. So, those planning Cuba holidays can still make the most of a trip to this valley viewing this natural work of art, as it looks likely that the painting will still be colourfully standing for many years to come.
The majestic 120-metre-high natural mural pays a tribute to the cultural past of the island with paintings of the native Taino Indians and dinosaurs which were draen on rocks that date back to the Jurassic Period. These paintings have been majestically enshrouded into the beautiful mountains of the Viñales Nationanl Park by painter and scientist Leovigildo Gonzalez (a student of the famous Mexican muralist Diego Rivera) who took special care to engrave art in this historical site, frequently visited by many travellers and tourists enjoying Cuba holidays in the region.
The fresco represents the bio-geologic past of this region that amazingly is one of the oldest in the Caribbean and one of the most well- preserved sites of Jurassic remains. Along with paintings of the aborigines who inhabited this area of the Cuban archipelago, are great mammals such as the extinct megalocnus rodens (giant bear) and ammonite molluscs, which are more than 70 million years old. Lovers of palaeontology and dinosaurs can also visit the nearby “Jurassic Park” with great stone statues of prehistoric creatures, a great attraction to take kids to during your Cuba holidays.
“Despite its good preservation, experts have retouched parts of the mural to prevent future damages and to bring back its bright colours,” said Segundo Roman, who manages the tourist resort located near this fresco.
To restore the mural, specialists used paints that are resistant to erosion and tropical storms that are common in this region of the country, a province located some 140 km west of Havana and which has been badly attacked by hurricanes in the past.
The Prehistory Mural, consisting of 12 pieces, is visited by more than 4,000 tourists each month, most of them from Canada, Germany and Spain who come to enjoy Cuba holidays in this breathtaking valley of international acclaim and wild beauty.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
The ultimate beach holiday experience awaits you at Los Cactus, a Caribbean paradise for golf-lovers and scuba...