Prehistoric Mural Still Attracting Tourists on Cuba holidays After 50 years
The Prehistoric Mural in Cuba's western province of Pinar del Rio has just celebrated its 50th birthday. Situated on a rock amidst the World Heritage Site of "The Viñales Valley" it was painted in 1959 as one of the largest 120m al fresco paintings
Located on Cuba’s western province of Pinar del Rio, the Prehistoric Mural in “The Valley of Viñales” has just turned 50 years old, still standing as one of the largest open-air fresco paintings in the world and one of the major attractions for Cuba holidays on this blessed region of natural wonders, officially named a World Heritage Site since 1988.
Astonishingly the paintings have stood the test of time and weather thanks to a unique drainage system surrounding the rocks and preventing the accumulation of water that would otherwise be slowly washing the painting away. So, those planning Cuba holidays can still make the most of a trip to this valley viewing this natural work of art, as it looks likely that the painting will still be colourfully standing for many years to come.
The majestic 120-metre-high natural mural pays a tribute to the cultural past of the island with paintings of the native Taino Indians and dinosaurs which were draen on rocks that date back to the Jurassic Period. These paintings have been majestically enshrouded into the beautiful mountains of the Viñales Nationanl Park by painter and scientist Leovigildo Gonzalez (a student of the famous Mexican muralist Diego Rivera) who took special care to engrave art in this historical site, frequently visited by many travellers and tourists enjoying Cuba holidays in the region.
The fresco represents the bio-geologic past of this region that amazingly is one of the oldest in the Caribbean and one of the most well- preserved sites of Jurassic remains. Along with paintings of the aborigines who inhabited this area of the Cuban archipelago, are great mammals such as the extinct megalocnus rodens (giant bear) and ammonite molluscs, which are more than 70 million years old. Lovers of palaeontology and dinosaurs can also visit the nearby “Jurassic Park” with great stone statues of prehistoric creatures, a great attraction to take kids to during your Cuba holidays.
“Despite its good preservation, experts have retouched parts of the mural to prevent future damages and to bring back its bright colours,” said Segundo Roman, who manages the tourist resort located near this fresco.
To restore the mural, specialists used paints that are resistant to erosion and tropical storms that are common in this region of the country, a province located some 140 km west of Havana and which has been badly attacked by hurricanes in the past.
The Prehistory Mural, consisting of 12 pieces, is visited by more than 4,000 tourists each month, most of them from Canada, Germany and Spain who come to enjoy Cuba holidays in this breathtaking valley of international acclaim and wild beauty.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...