China funds new luxury Cuba hotel aimed at future US market
Suntine International of China and Cuba's Cubanacan hotel group have agreed to share ownership of a new luxury Cuba hotel, a 600-room project built to appeal to the US market, located at Havana's Hemingway marina, named after the American writer
A new project for the building of a new luxury Cuba hotel was announced over the weekend as Cuba warms up to the idea of American tourists taking Cuba holidays for the first time in 47 years. Funded by a partnership between China’s Suntine International-Economic Trading Company and Cuba’s Cubanacan Hotel Group, the new luxury hotel is said to be aimed at a future U.S. tourist market, as they expect Obama to soon be lifting the travel ban on Americans taking Cuba holidays by the end of year.
This new Cuba hotel project is said to be specially aimed at future U.S tourists as it will be located on Cuba’s Hemingway Marina which is famously named after the popular Nobel Prize winning American writer, author of award-winning books such as “The Old Man in the Sea” which was written during his time living in Cuba with the book’s storyline also taking place in the island.
The new ‘Hemingway Hotel’ might have an American ring to it, as it is American, not Chinese tourists; who appear to be the main target market for the new development which is currently being built on the grounds of the sprawling Hemingway Marina, located just west of Havana and enjoying one of the city’s most sweeping views over the sea.
Wanting to offer Americans with the best and most upscale aspects of Cuba holidays, the new property is set to become one of the most luxurious of Cuba hotels in Havana. Renovations are already underway at the marina with the hopeful expectation that once the American travel ban is lifted U.S. boats will begin flocking down to the island that lies just 90 miles south of the Florida stretch.
According to tourism sources that did not wish to be identified, said the development could be spelling a future for Cuba holidays as a popular destination for curious U.S. citizens looking to discover a holiday destination that was previously regarded as forbidden and strictly off-limits.
Editor in Chief for CruiseCritic.co.uk, Carolyn Spencer Brown, told TravelMail: “There's a huge appetite for Cuba - whether it's by land or sea - for Americans.
“In fact, we recently polled readers of Cruisecritic.com and asked: Which now-off limits destination most intrigues? Cuba received a whopping 97 percent of the vote (not so much interest in Yemen, N. Korea and Burma, alas).
“But the real excitement will be when the island is not only open to US travellers but also is ready for them - there's much work to be done on infrastructure before Cuba can support the big cruise ships that America's famous for.”
Other industry sources have reported they had noticed an increased interest in construction of Cuba hotels in order to meet a possible increase in demand by the American market. They also reported that representatives from some major U.S. hotel companies had quietly visited the island this year reviewing the possibilities of re-developing Cuba holidays to cater for the U.S. tourism market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...