British Airways to Start Charging for Advance Seat Selection
In a move to increase BA's glum profit figures the airline has now decided to start charging passengers for advanced seat selection available from 355 days prior to flying and up to 24 hours before departure.
From 7th October 2009 British Airways will start allowing their passengers to pre-select their seats well in advance of their departure dates, but depending on the seats selected and the class the customers fly on, different charges will apply.
With this new approach British Airways seem to be following some of the low-cost airlines who utilise ‘add-on’ tactics to rip in extra profits by implementing extra costs for passengers. The new pre-selection of seats comes as BA’s latest attempt to improve its plummeting profits and glum figures.
The main UK carrier for popular holiday destinations, BA will now be giving customers the full flexibility of choosing exactly where to sit during their journey. BA is well renowned for taking UK holidaymakers to Caribbean holidays as well as Cancun holidays and other more exotic destinations such as Mauritius holidays, Maldives holidays and Dubai holidays.
The new fees for domestic and Euro Traveller passengers will amount to £10 to book further than 24 hours in advance, rising to £60 for Club World Travellers. In addition, customers will be able to request exit row seats in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus from as soon as 10 days in advance to 4 days before their flight with a cost of £50 per person per sector. Nevertheless, Gold Executive Club members and oneworld Emerald equivalents together with other passengers on the same booking will be able to request an exit row seat free of charge at any time before their flight.
On the other hand, first passengers, those with infants, the disabled or those with other special requirements will be able to pre-book their seats for free.
The new fees will not be applying to Premier and Gold Executive Club members who are already able to choose their seats for free in all cabins (including exit row seats) at the time of booking. Silver card holders, customers with fully flexible tickets and customers on corporate deals can pre-assign their seats for free and will have the option to buy exit row seats in World Traveller and World Traveller Plus.
Whilst the new move will allow passengers more freedom and greater control on seat selection, many see it as a full-service airline moving towards the low-cost formula of charging for extras. Those who choose not to avail of the new service will be left to select from the remaining available seats from 24 hours before departure.
According to BA sources these new charges move “is in line with the airline’s response to surviving the economic downturn”. BA went on to add that “teams from across the sales & marketing and customer directorate have been reviewing the airline’s entire customer proposition, looking at ways to reduce costs and bring in additional revenue”.
Global long-haul airlines such as Virgin Atlantic and BMI are still not charging pre-allocated seating; regardless of what class a passenger is flying in. BMI does not charge for pre-booking seats on either its short or long-haul flights.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Enjoy a taste of Thailand with a complimentary cooking class
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Be dined and wined at a selection of no less than nine restaurants.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...