British Airways to Start Charging for Advance Seat Selection
In a move to increase BA's glum profit figures the airline has now decided to start charging passengers for advanced seat selection available from 355 days prior to flying and up to 24 hours before departure.
From 7th October 2009 British Airways will start allowing their passengers to pre-select their seats well in advance of their departure dates, but depending on the seats selected and the class the customers fly on, different charges will apply.
With this new approach British Airways seem to be following some of the low-cost airlines who utilise ‘add-on’ tactics to rip in extra profits by implementing extra costs for passengers. The new pre-selection of seats comes as BA’s latest attempt to improve its plummeting profits and glum figures.
The main UK carrier for popular holiday destinations, BA will now be giving customers the full flexibility of choosing exactly where to sit during their journey. BA is well renowned for taking UK holidaymakers to Caribbean holidays as well as Cancun holidays and other more exotic destinations such as Mauritius holidays, Maldives holidays and Dubai holidays.
The new fees for domestic and Euro Traveller passengers will amount to £10 to book further than 24 hours in advance, rising to £60 for Club World Travellers. In addition, customers will be able to request exit row seats in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus from as soon as 10 days in advance to 4 days before their flight with a cost of £50 per person per sector. Nevertheless, Gold Executive Club members and oneworld Emerald equivalents together with other passengers on the same booking will be able to request an exit row seat free of charge at any time before their flight.
On the other hand, first passengers, those with infants, the disabled or those with other special requirements will be able to pre-book their seats for free.
The new fees will not be applying to Premier and Gold Executive Club members who are already able to choose their seats for free in all cabins (including exit row seats) at the time of booking. Silver card holders, customers with fully flexible tickets and customers on corporate deals can pre-assign their seats for free and will have the option to buy exit row seats in World Traveller and World Traveller Plus.
Whilst the new move will allow passengers more freedom and greater control on seat selection, many see it as a full-service airline moving towards the low-cost formula of charging for extras. Those who choose not to avail of the new service will be left to select from the remaining available seats from 24 hours before departure.
According to BA sources these new charges move “is in line with the airline’s response to surviving the economic downturn”. BA went on to add that “teams from across the sales & marketing and customer directorate have been reviewing the airline’s entire customer proposition, looking at ways to reduce costs and bring in additional revenue”.
Global long-haul airlines such as Virgin Atlantic and BMI are still not charging pre-allocated seating; regardless of what class a passenger is flying in. BMI does not charge for pre-booking seats on either its short or long-haul flights.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Offering superb accommodation with a wide range of facilities, Yas Island Rotana is conveniently located on the...