British Airways to Start Charging for Advance Seat Selection
In a move to increase BA's glum profit figures the airline has now decided to start charging passengers for advanced seat selection available from 355 days prior to flying and up to 24 hours before departure.
From 7th October 2009 British Airways will start allowing their passengers to pre-select their seats well in advance of their departure dates, but depending on the seats selected and the class the customers fly on, different charges will apply.
With this new approach British Airways seem to be following some of the low-cost airlines who utilise ‘add-on’ tactics to rip in extra profits by implementing extra costs for passengers. The new pre-selection of seats comes as BA’s latest attempt to improve its plummeting profits and glum figures.
The main UK carrier for popular holiday destinations, BA will now be giving customers the full flexibility of choosing exactly where to sit during their journey. BA is well renowned for taking UK holidaymakers to Caribbean holidays as well as Cancun holidays and other more exotic destinations such as Mauritius holidays, Maldives holidays and Dubai holidays.
The new fees for domestic and Euro Traveller passengers will amount to £10 to book further than 24 hours in advance, rising to £60 for Club World Travellers. In addition, customers will be able to request exit row seats in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus from as soon as 10 days in advance to 4 days before their flight with a cost of £50 per person per sector. Nevertheless, Gold Executive Club members and oneworld Emerald equivalents together with other passengers on the same booking will be able to request an exit row seat free of charge at any time before their flight.
On the other hand, first passengers, those with infants, the disabled or those with other special requirements will be able to pre-book their seats for free.
The new fees will not be applying to Premier and Gold Executive Club members who are already able to choose their seats for free in all cabins (including exit row seats) at the time of booking. Silver card holders, customers with fully flexible tickets and customers on corporate deals can pre-assign their seats for free and will have the option to buy exit row seats in World Traveller and World Traveller Plus.
Whilst the new move will allow passengers more freedom and greater control on seat selection, many see it as a full-service airline moving towards the low-cost formula of charging for extras. Those who choose not to avail of the new service will be left to select from the remaining available seats from 24 hours before departure.
According to BA sources these new charges move “is in line with the airline’s response to surviving the economic downturn”. BA went on to add that “teams from across the sales & marketing and customer directorate have been reviewing the airline’s entire customer proposition, looking at ways to reduce costs and bring in additional revenue”.
Global long-haul airlines such as Virgin Atlantic and BMI are still not charging pre-allocated seating; regardless of what class a passenger is flying in. BMI does not charge for pre-booking seats on either its short or long-haul flights.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Complimentary shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool View
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Immersive tour that will introduce you to India - Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour
- Experience the bustling street life of Delhi, a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj Mahal of Agra
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...