World Tourism Day 2009: "Celebrating Diversity"
To be celebrated on 27 September 2009, this year's World Tourism Day will be featuring the theme 'Tourism - Celebrating Diversity'. The event will take place in Accra, Ghana and will be the World's Tourism Day's 30th anniversary.
This year’s World Tourism Day celebrations will be taking place in Accra, Ghana on the 27 September 2009. The UNWTO will be collaborating with the host country as part of the official celebrations to organise a special Think Tank around 2009’s theme of ‘Tourism- Celebrating Diversity’.
Featuring worldwide popular holiday destinations and discussing some of the world’s best luxury holidays, budget holidays, eco-holidays and more, this year’s ‘diversity’ topic will be the main subject of observation and debate among all participating members, travel agents, hotels, tour operators and many others in the travel industry.
To mark World Tourism Day’s 30th anniversary, the ceremony will hold especially designed presentations to highlight the wealth of cultural and natural diversity of different holiday destinations across the world, as well as discussing the role of sustainable tourism in preserving this diversity.
It is a well-known fact among those in the industry that Diversity has long been the driving force behind tourism which in turn has become an engine for socio-economic development, poverty alleviation and international understanding. On the focus of attention, popular holiday destinations such as Dominican Republic holidays, Cuba holidays, Jamaica holidays and other Caribbean holidays, which all have impoverished economic backgrounds against a richness in cultural wealth, variety and ecological beauties, talks will discuss how best to promote these holiday destinations whilst preserving their eco-diversity and authentic features as undisturbed as possible.
As world leaders come together to tackle the challenges of climate change and the economic crisis, diversity will continue to drive tourism, engendering international cooperation and ensuring sustainable development. Following the successful experience of previous World Tourism Day celebrations and bringing together leading public and private tourism stakeholders as well as members of the media and UNWTO representatives, the ‘Diversity’ Think Tank promises to be instrumental in raising awareness of the significance of diversity and sustainable tourism by:
• Highlighting tourism's capacity to maintain diversity in the face of globalisation
• Outlining how tourism can enhance cultural and environmental diversity
• Considering the role of tourism in engendering international cooperation
World Tourism Day’s main purpose is to generate awareness among the international community about the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic impact and values across the many different holiday destinations in the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Relaxing and unforgettable experience - 11 nights tour including an excellent range of facilities
- Experience the fruitful lifestyle of the Cape Region
- Discover the spectacular landscapes of the Kruger region
- Travel to Karongwe Private Game Reserve to get exclusive access, day and night, to a wide range of animals including the "Big Five"
From the amazing Blyde River Canyon to the iconic table Mountain, this tour has it all!
- Explore the underground Cango Caves at Oudtshoorn
- Visit a real Chief's village in Swaziland
- Go in search of Africa's 'Big Five' in Kruger National Park
Combine the excitement and adventure of South Africa with a luxurius stay in Maritius
- Swim with Dolphins in Mauritius for a simply amazing tropical experience
- Experience a spectacular Ballon Safari at Mabula Game Lodge
- Capture the magic and wonder of the big five in South Africa
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...
Oozing Moroccan charm through all its pores, this elegant and picturesque boutique hotel and "maison" sitting...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...