World Tourism Day 2009: "Celebrating Diversity"
To be celebrated on 27 September 2009, this year's World Tourism Day will be featuring the theme 'Tourism - Celebrating Diversity'. The event will take place in Accra, Ghana and will be the World's Tourism Day's 30th anniversary.
This year’s World Tourism Day celebrations will be taking place in Accra, Ghana on the 27 September 2009. The UNWTO will be collaborating with the host country as part of the official celebrations to organise a special Think Tank around 2009’s theme of ‘Tourism- Celebrating Diversity’.
Featuring worldwide popular holiday destinations and discussing some of the world’s best luxury holidays, budget holidays, eco-holidays and more, this year’s ‘diversity’ topic will be the main subject of observation and debate among all participating members, travel agents, hotels, tour operators and many others in the travel industry.
To mark World Tourism Day’s 30th anniversary, the ceremony will hold especially designed presentations to highlight the wealth of cultural and natural diversity of different holiday destinations across the world, as well as discussing the role of sustainable tourism in preserving this diversity.
It is a well-known fact among those in the industry that Diversity has long been the driving force behind tourism which in turn has become an engine for socio-economic development, poverty alleviation and international understanding. On the focus of attention, popular holiday destinations such as Dominican Republic holidays, Cuba holidays, Jamaica holidays and other Caribbean holidays, which all have impoverished economic backgrounds against a richness in cultural wealth, variety and ecological beauties, talks will discuss how best to promote these holiday destinations whilst preserving their eco-diversity and authentic features as undisturbed as possible.
As world leaders come together to tackle the challenges of climate change and the economic crisis, diversity will continue to drive tourism, engendering international cooperation and ensuring sustainable development. Following the successful experience of previous World Tourism Day celebrations and bringing together leading public and private tourism stakeholders as well as members of the media and UNWTO representatives, the ‘Diversity’ Think Tank promises to be instrumental in raising awareness of the significance of diversity and sustainable tourism by:
• Highlighting tourism's capacity to maintain diversity in the face of globalisation
• Outlining how tourism can enhance cultural and environmental diversity
• Considering the role of tourism in engendering international cooperation
World Tourism Day’s main purpose is to generate awareness among the international community about the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic impact and values across the many different holiday destinations in the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
From the amazing Blyde River Canyon to the iconic table Mountain, this tour has it all!
- Explore the underground Cango Caves at Oudtshoorn
- Visit a real Chief's village in Swaziland
- Go in search of Africa's 'Big Five' in Kruger National Park
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...
Oozing Moroccan charm through all its pores, this elegant and picturesque boutique hotel and "maison" sitting...
In close proximity to the business district and right in the midst of all the action in Tunis, El Hana International is...