World Tourism Day 2009: "Celebrating Diversity"
To be celebrated on 27 September 2009, this year's World Tourism Day will be featuring the theme 'Tourism - Celebrating Diversity'. The event will take place in Accra, Ghana and will be the World's Tourism Day's 30th anniversary.
This year’s World Tourism Day celebrations will be taking place in Accra, Ghana on the 27 September 2009. The UNWTO will be collaborating with the host country as part of the official celebrations to organise a special Think Tank around 2009’s theme of ‘Tourism- Celebrating Diversity’.
Featuring worldwide popular holiday destinations and discussing some of the world’s best luxury holidays, budget holidays, eco-holidays and more, this year’s ‘diversity’ topic will be the main subject of observation and debate among all participating members, travel agents, hotels, tour operators and many others in the travel industry.
To mark World Tourism Day’s 30th anniversary, the ceremony will hold especially designed presentations to highlight the wealth of cultural and natural diversity of different holiday destinations across the world, as well as discussing the role of sustainable tourism in preserving this diversity.
It is a well-known fact among those in the industry that Diversity has long been the driving force behind tourism which in turn has become an engine for socio-economic development, poverty alleviation and international understanding. On the focus of attention, popular holiday destinations such as Dominican Republic holidays, Cuba holidays, Jamaica holidays and other Caribbean holidays, which all have impoverished economic backgrounds against a richness in cultural wealth, variety and ecological beauties, talks will discuss how best to promote these holiday destinations whilst preserving their eco-diversity and authentic features as undisturbed as possible.
As world leaders come together to tackle the challenges of climate change and the economic crisis, diversity will continue to drive tourism, engendering international cooperation and ensuring sustainable development. Following the successful experience of previous World Tourism Day celebrations and bringing together leading public and private tourism stakeholders as well as members of the media and UNWTO representatives, the ‘Diversity’ Think Tank promises to be instrumental in raising awareness of the significance of diversity and sustainable tourism by:
• Highlighting tourism's capacity to maintain diversity in the face of globalisation
• Outlining how tourism can enhance cultural and environmental diversity
• Considering the role of tourism in engendering international cooperation
World Tourism Day’s main purpose is to generate awareness among the international community about the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic impact and values across the many different holiday destinations in the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Explore the natural landscapes and wildlife that South Africa has to offer, before experiencing the Paradise of Seychelles.
- Relax in Seychelles, a resort set between a turquoise lagoon and verdant green hills, beside its own bay of white sands on the west coast of Mahe
- 5 days self drive tour in South Africa through the world famous Kruger National Park
- Have the time of your life, combining the best of both worlds!
Treat yourself to a wold look at South Africa and a luxury stay in Mauritius
- Near to Fisherman’s Cove, part of an unspoilt and authentic area of the island
- visit some of the oldest caves in the world - the Echo Caves - which have been declared a Historical Monument.
- The Lowveld, also referred to as “Big Game Country”, is the setting for dozens of game reserves teeming with wildlife and birds
Combine the excitement and adventure of South Africa with a luxurius stay in Maritius
- Swim with Dolphins in Mauritius for a simply amazing tropical experience
- Experience a spectacular Ballon Safari at Mabula Game Lodge
- Capture the magic and wonder of the big five in South Africa
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
This is a two-week journey that you will never forget as you are taken in by South Africa's wealth of wonders and...
South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic combinations of...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...
Situated outside the city in a quiet and uplifting location by the seaside, the Ezzahra Dar Tunis enjoys a wonderfully...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...