World Tourism Day 2009: "Celebrating Diversity"
To be celebrated on 27 September 2009, this year's World Tourism Day will be featuring the theme 'Tourism - Celebrating Diversity'. The event will take place in Accra, Ghana and will be the World's Tourism Day's 30th anniversary.
This year’s World Tourism Day celebrations will be taking place in Accra, Ghana on the 27 September 2009. The UNWTO will be collaborating with the host country as part of the official celebrations to organise a special Think Tank around 2009’s theme of ‘Tourism- Celebrating Diversity’.
Featuring worldwide popular holiday destinations and discussing some of the world’s best luxury holidays, budget holidays, eco-holidays and more, this year’s ‘diversity’ topic will be the main subject of observation and debate among all participating members, travel agents, hotels, tour operators and many others in the travel industry.
To mark World Tourism Day’s 30th anniversary, the ceremony will hold especially designed presentations to highlight the wealth of cultural and natural diversity of different holiday destinations across the world, as well as discussing the role of sustainable tourism in preserving this diversity.
It is a well-known fact among those in the industry that Diversity has long been the driving force behind tourism which in turn has become an engine for socio-economic development, poverty alleviation and international understanding. On the focus of attention, popular holiday destinations such as Dominican Republic holidays, Cuba holidays, Jamaica holidays and other Caribbean holidays, which all have impoverished economic backgrounds against a richness in cultural wealth, variety and ecological beauties, talks will discuss how best to promote these holiday destinations whilst preserving their eco-diversity and authentic features as undisturbed as possible.
As world leaders come together to tackle the challenges of climate change and the economic crisis, diversity will continue to drive tourism, engendering international cooperation and ensuring sustainable development. Following the successful experience of previous World Tourism Day celebrations and bringing together leading public and private tourism stakeholders as well as members of the media and UNWTO representatives, the ‘Diversity’ Think Tank promises to be instrumental in raising awareness of the significance of diversity and sustainable tourism by:
• Highlighting tourism's capacity to maintain diversity in the face of globalisation
• Outlining how tourism can enhance cultural and environmental diversity
• Considering the role of tourism in engendering international cooperation
World Tourism Day’s main purpose is to generate awareness among the international community about the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic impact and values across the many different holiday destinations in the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Relaxing and unforgettable experience - 11 nights tour including an excellent range of facilities
- Experience the fruitful lifestyle of the Cape Region
- Discover the spectacular landscapes of the Kruger region
- Travel to Karongwe Private Game Reserve to get exclusive access, day and night, to a wide range of animals including the "Big Five"
Combine the excitement and adventure of South Africa with a luxurius stay in Maritius
- Swim with Dolphins in Mauritius for a simply amazing tropical experience
- Experience a spectacular Ballon Safari at Mabula Game Lodge
- Capture the magic and wonder of the big five in South Africa
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
This is a two-week journey that you will never forget as you are taken in by South Africa's wealth of wonders and...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Situated outside the city in a quiet and uplifting location by the seaside, the Ezzahra Dar Tunis enjoys a wonderfully...