US Congress May Overturn the Cuba Travel Ban by the End of the Year
According to Sam Farr, a California Democrat, the legislation needed to end the ban for Americans travelling to Cuba has enough support in the U.S. House of Representatives to win approval by the end of this year.
California Democrat and U.S. House Representative Sam Farr, has very high hopes for the US ban on Cuba travel for American citizens finally coming to its end very soon. As soon as by the end of year he expects that the legislation needed to pass to lift the ban will have enough support in the U.S. House Representatives to win the majority approval needed.
The bill that will let U.S citizens resume travel to Cuba and be able to enjoy Cuba holidays already has 181 votes in the House and needs 218 to pass, said Farr who is also a co-sponsor of the legislation. The plan to promote the end of the Cuba travel restrictions is backed by travel groups such as the United States Tour Operators Association and the National Tour Association. The movement also has support from human rights groups such as the Washington Office on Latin America and has been helped by President Barack Obama’s election, Farr explained.
“It is believed we can get to this before the end of the year,” Farr, 68, said in an interview in New York. “We haven’t had a policy about Cuba. We’ve had policies about getting votes in Florida and Obama changed that by getting those votes.”
“If you are a potato, you can get to Cuba very easily,” he added “But if you are a person, you can’t, and that is our problem.”
Obama already is under pressure from many Latin American leaders who demand change in the U.S. attitude towards Cuba and plead for the end to the trade embargo to help improve relations in the Americas. Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva will ask Obama to end the embargo during the United Nations General Assembly this week, spokesman Marcelo Baumbach said on 17 September.
Obama already took the first step in easing the U.S.-Cuba relations by ending the restrictions on Cuba travel for Cuban-Americans and allowing money remittances to their relatives in Cuba. The new rules also allowed U.S. telecommunications companies to provide service in Cuba for mobile telephone, satellite radio and television.
Pushing forward the Cuba holidays appeal for U.S. citizens, a group of House and Senate lawmakers proposed in March the end to the restrictions that banned all U.S. citizens and residents to travel to Cuba. Farr said the legislation, known as the “Freedom to Travel to Cuba Act,” also has enough votes to clear the Senate, where Senator Byron Dorgan, a North Dakota Democrat, and Republican Senator Michael Enzi of Wyoming introduced the legislation.
“There’s a lot more openness in the Congress,” Geoff Thale, program director in the Washington Office on Latin America, declared during an interview in New York. “Support is building. The travel industry and business community are not just formally in support but actively engaged. That’s why I think we’re going to see a difference.”
Ending the Cuba Travel ban for Americans is expected to motivate as many as over 1 million U.S. citizens to take Cuba holidays every year, declared Lisa Simon, president of the National Tour Association.
Thale added that Obama’s administration has been showing a “gradual relaxation and diplomatic opening” He continued to cite the government’s decision to reinitiate talks on migration and direct mail, and also to put down the billboard operated by the U.S. government outside its special interests section in Havana, which he said often displayed anti-Cuba messages.
So far, all we can do as spectators is wait and see, but it looks as though the dream of Cuba holidays for Americans may soon become a much awaited reality.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...