Increase in Dubai holidays expected in fourth quarter of 2009
The 4th quarter of 2009 will see an increase in Dubai holidays as Dubai hotels prepare to receive an expected increase in the number of visitors this winter as Dubai's tourism picks up after a significant decline of arrivals after the global recession
Dubai hotels are set to see an increase in visitors this winter as more travellers are expected to take Dubai holidays and boost the region's tourism and travel sector. Dubai holiday industry was one of the worst affected areas in the world to be hit by the global recession and there was a significant decline in visitors taking holidays in Dubai compared to nearby Abu Dhabi.
With the recession hitting the Middle East later than the rest of the world, numbers began to noticeably fall in the last quarter of 2008. Within the first six months of 2009, Dubai hotel room prices dropped by 26 per cent. The drop in rates has enticed more visitors to take Dubai holidays and benefit from the bargains available. Walter Lo Faro, Director of Market Management for the Middle East for Expedia, said:
"Dubai has seen one of the greatest drop in rates, making it an even more attractive tourist destination, while hotel prices in Abu Dhabi have also fallen significantly. As a result of the economic downturn we have seen a change in the profile of tourists visiting the UAE: Fewer visitors are coming from the UK and Russia, while we are seeing more tourists from Italy and the US."
Neighbouring city, Abu Dhabi, maintained a steady level of visitors over the past 12 months due to it being a business destination but the hotels saw a decrease in numbers in the second quarter as more business travellers were affected by the economic crisis. However, Dubai hotels began to see an increase in numbers during the second quarter of 2009 as more travellers taking Dubai holidays took advantage of the promotions and discounts available which had been put in place to attract more visitors to the vibrant city.
With a current total of 40,943 hotel rooms and 17,204 hotel apartment rooms available in Dubai, the optimistic overview has encouraged businesses and developers to open a further 10,984 rooms in properties across Dubai and Abu Dhabi over the next year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Experience the wonders of Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restaurants, sandy beaches and unmatched shopping, all for an unbeatable price
- Unwind in your beautifully designed room or suite featuring all your modern amenities and stunning views
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
Chill at The Palm's luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Six family swimming pools dotted around the resort
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning views over the Arabian Gulf
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Free Half Board option available
The location on the world famous, Palm Jumeirah, provides superb access to white sandy beaches.
- Nestled on the quiet, pristine West Crescent of Dubai’s iconic Palm Jumeirah
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- FREE Half Board upgrade
- Up to two kids stay and play FREE
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
A mix of colonial heritage and contemporary design with tropical accents, The Ravenala Attitude is the first 4-star,...
Zabeel House Mini by Jumeirah is a playful, pocket friendly hotel high on design and low on complexity. Perfectly...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...