Increase in Dubai holidays expected in fourth quarter of 2009
The 4th quarter of 2009 will see an increase in Dubai holidays as Dubai hotels prepare to receive an expected increase in the number of visitors this winter as Dubai's tourism picks up after a significant decline of arrivals after the global recession
Dubai hotels are set to see an increase in visitors this winter as more travellers are expected to take Dubai holidays and boost the region's tourism and travel sector. Dubai holiday industry was one of the worst affected areas in the world to be hit by the global recession and there was a significant decline in visitors taking holidays in Dubai compared to nearby Abu Dhabi.
With the recession hitting the Middle East later than the rest of the world, numbers began to noticeably fall in the last quarter of 2008. Within the first six months of 2009, Dubai hotel room prices dropped by 26 per cent. The drop in rates has enticed more visitors to take Dubai holidays and benefit from the bargains available. Walter Lo Faro, Director of Market Management for the Middle East for Expedia, said:
"Dubai has seen one of the greatest drop in rates, making it an even more attractive tourist destination, while hotel prices in Abu Dhabi have also fallen significantly. As a result of the economic downturn we have seen a change in the profile of tourists visiting the UAE: Fewer visitors are coming from the UK and Russia, while we are seeing more tourists from Italy and the US."
Neighbouring city, Abu Dhabi, maintained a steady level of visitors over the past 12 months due to it being a business destination but the hotels saw a decrease in numbers in the second quarter as more business travellers were affected by the economic crisis. However, Dubai hotels began to see an increase in numbers during the second quarter of 2009 as more travellers taking Dubai holidays took advantage of the promotions and discounts available which had been put in place to attract more visitors to the vibrant city.
With a current total of 40,943 hotel rooms and 17,204 hotel apartment rooms available in Dubai, the optimistic overview has encouraged businesses and developers to open a further 10,984 rooms in properties across Dubai and Abu Dhabi over the next year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free WIFI
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Free Half Board
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Exlusive Free Half Board upgrade (book by 11 November 2017)!!!
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
Be sinfully self-indulgent and stay at an outrageously luxurious resort on Dubai's exclusive The Palm. You'll be basking in luxury from dawn to dusk.
- stay on the famous Palm in Dubai and enjoy stunning views over the skyline
- choose to upgrade to an amazing Ultra-All-Inclusive experience in the hotel
- Recieve complimentary boat transfers to iconic Dubai Marina or a free shuttle bus to Mall of the Emirates
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
With all the modern facilities and comforts you would expect from a 4* hotel, this hotel is set within central Al Barsha...
Situated in Bay Square, a low-rise community filled with shops, street side dining and businesses, DoubleTree by Hilton...