STR Global Reports new Mexico and Caribbean hotels on the Pipeline
The new Caribbean/Mexico hotels that were under the August 2009 STR Construction Pipeline Report are now becoming a reality whilst newer projects have come to a stand still after the uncertainty of the global recession.
Projects for new Mexico and Caribbean hotels which had started construction before August 2009 are carrying on as planned without delays whereas some newer projects have come to a stand still. Those new Mexico & Caribbean hotels which were planned under the August STR Construction Pipeline Report released this week are well on their way towards completion with 141 new Mexico & Caribbean hotels making a total of 1,535 rooms currently being built.
“At the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Investment Conference held earlier this year in Bermuda, the general sentiment was that development would dwindle to a virtual trickle in the Caribbean in 2009 and 2010,” said Duane Vinson, vice president at STR. "It appears that earlier projections are now a reality. With fewer than 50 projects in the active pipeline, new projects have come to a stand still."
Among the countries in the region, Mexico hotels reported the largest amount of rooms in the ‘In Construction’ phase with 5,289 rooms under way and a total of 10,810 rooms in the active pipeline. Puerto Rico followed with 1,163 rooms at the ‘In Construction’ phase and 1,627 rooms in the active pipeline. Lastly, The Bahamas also ended the month with more than 1,000 rooms in the active pipeline with a total of 1,439.
Between the different categories of new Mexico and Caribbean resorts under construction the largest percentage was for new luxury hotels with as many as 23.3% of the rooms catering for the higher end of luxury holidays. The following category occupying 20.7% of the active pipeline of hotels with 3,836 rooms was the Mid-Scale hotel range without Food and Beverage. The Mid-Scale hotels with Food and Beverage catering towards the family and beach holidays market accounted for 8.6% of the total with 1602 rooms in the active pipeline whereas the more Economical range of new Mexico & Caribbean hotels made up the smallest portion of the totals occupying only 6.1%.
STR Global is a 20-year old company whose initials stand for ‘Smith Travel Research’. A leader in the lodging industry for benchmarking and research, Smith Travel Research and STR Global offer monthly, weekly, and daily STAR benchmarking reports to more than 36,000 hotel clients, representing nearly 5 million rooms worldwide.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...