STR Global Reports new Mexico and Caribbean hotels on the Pipeline
The new Caribbean/Mexico hotels that were under the August 2009 STR Construction Pipeline Report are now becoming a reality whilst newer projects have come to a stand still after the uncertainty of the global recession.
Projects for new Mexico and Caribbean hotels which had started construction before August 2009 are carrying on as planned without delays whereas some newer projects have come to a stand still. Those new Mexico & Caribbean hotels which were planned under the August STR Construction Pipeline Report released this week are well on their way towards completion with 141 new Mexico & Caribbean hotels making a total of 1,535 rooms currently being built.
“At the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Investment Conference held earlier this year in Bermuda, the general sentiment was that development would dwindle to a virtual trickle in the Caribbean in 2009 and 2010,” said Duane Vinson, vice president at STR. "It appears that earlier projections are now a reality. With fewer than 50 projects in the active pipeline, new projects have come to a stand still."
Among the countries in the region, Mexico hotels reported the largest amount of rooms in the ‘In Construction’ phase with 5,289 rooms under way and a total of 10,810 rooms in the active pipeline. Puerto Rico followed with 1,163 rooms at the ‘In Construction’ phase and 1,627 rooms in the active pipeline. Lastly, The Bahamas also ended the month with more than 1,000 rooms in the active pipeline with a total of 1,439.
Between the different categories of new Mexico and Caribbean resorts under construction the largest percentage was for new luxury hotels with as many as 23.3% of the rooms catering for the higher end of luxury holidays. The following category occupying 20.7% of the active pipeline of hotels with 3,836 rooms was the Mid-Scale hotel range without Food and Beverage. The Mid-Scale hotels with Food and Beverage catering towards the family and beach holidays market accounted for 8.6% of the total with 1602 rooms in the active pipeline whereas the more Economical range of new Mexico & Caribbean hotels made up the smallest portion of the totals occupying only 6.1%.
STR Global is a 20-year old company whose initials stand for ‘Smith Travel Research’. A leader in the lodging industry for benchmarking and research, Smith Travel Research and STR Global offer monthly, weekly, and daily STAR benchmarking reports to more than 36,000 hotel clients, representing nearly 5 million rooms worldwide.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...