STR Global Reports new Mexico and Caribbean hotels on the Pipeline
The new Caribbean/Mexico hotels that were under the August 2009 STR Construction Pipeline Report are now becoming a reality whilst newer projects have come to a stand still after the uncertainty of the global recession.
Projects for new Mexico and Caribbean hotels which had started construction before August 2009 are carrying on as planned without delays whereas some newer projects have come to a stand still. Those new Mexico & Caribbean hotels which were planned under the August STR Construction Pipeline Report released this week are well on their way towards completion with 141 new Mexico & Caribbean hotels making a total of 1,535 rooms currently being built.
“At the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Investment Conference held earlier this year in Bermuda, the general sentiment was that development would dwindle to a virtual trickle in the Caribbean in 2009 and 2010,” said Duane Vinson, vice president at STR. "It appears that earlier projections are now a reality. With fewer than 50 projects in the active pipeline, new projects have come to a stand still."
Among the countries in the region, Mexico hotels reported the largest amount of rooms in the ‘In Construction’ phase with 5,289 rooms under way and a total of 10,810 rooms in the active pipeline. Puerto Rico followed with 1,163 rooms at the ‘In Construction’ phase and 1,627 rooms in the active pipeline. Lastly, The Bahamas also ended the month with more than 1,000 rooms in the active pipeline with a total of 1,439.
Between the different categories of new Mexico and Caribbean resorts under construction the largest percentage was for new luxury hotels with as many as 23.3% of the rooms catering for the higher end of luxury holidays. The following category occupying 20.7% of the active pipeline of hotels with 3,836 rooms was the Mid-Scale hotel range without Food and Beverage. The Mid-Scale hotels with Food and Beverage catering towards the family and beach holidays market accounted for 8.6% of the total with 1602 rooms in the active pipeline whereas the more Economical range of new Mexico & Caribbean hotels made up the smallest portion of the totals occupying only 6.1%.
STR Global is a 20-year old company whose initials stand for ‘Smith Travel Research’. A leader in the lodging industry for benchmarking and research, Smith Travel Research and STR Global offer monthly, weekly, and daily STAR benchmarking reports to more than 36,000 hotel clients, representing nearly 5 million rooms worldwide.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...