STR Global Reports new Mexico and Caribbean hotels on the Pipeline
The new Caribbean/Mexico hotels that were under the August 2009 STR Construction Pipeline Report are now becoming a reality whilst newer projects have come to a stand still after the uncertainty of the global recession.
Projects for new Mexico and Caribbean hotels which had started construction before August 2009 are carrying on as planned without delays whereas some newer projects have come to a stand still. Those new Mexico & Caribbean hotels which were planned under the August STR Construction Pipeline Report released this week are well on their way towards completion with 141 new Mexico & Caribbean hotels making a total of 1,535 rooms currently being built.
“At the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Investment Conference held earlier this year in Bermuda, the general sentiment was that development would dwindle to a virtual trickle in the Caribbean in 2009 and 2010,” said Duane Vinson, vice president at STR. "It appears that earlier projections are now a reality. With fewer than 50 projects in the active pipeline, new projects have come to a stand still."
Among the countries in the region, Mexico hotels reported the largest amount of rooms in the ‘In Construction’ phase with 5,289 rooms under way and a total of 10,810 rooms in the active pipeline. Puerto Rico followed with 1,163 rooms at the ‘In Construction’ phase and 1,627 rooms in the active pipeline. Lastly, The Bahamas also ended the month with more than 1,000 rooms in the active pipeline with a total of 1,439.
Between the different categories of new Mexico and Caribbean resorts under construction the largest percentage was for new luxury hotels with as many as 23.3% of the rooms catering for the higher end of luxury holidays. The following category occupying 20.7% of the active pipeline of hotels with 3,836 rooms was the Mid-Scale hotel range without Food and Beverage. The Mid-Scale hotels with Food and Beverage catering towards the family and beach holidays market accounted for 8.6% of the total with 1602 rooms in the active pipeline whereas the more Economical range of new Mexico & Caribbean hotels made up the smallest portion of the totals occupying only 6.1%.
STR Global is a 20-year old company whose initials stand for ‘Smith Travel Research’. A leader in the lodging industry for benchmarking and research, Smith Travel Research and STR Global offer monthly, weekly, and daily STAR benchmarking reports to more than 36,000 hotel clients, representing nearly 5 million rooms worldwide.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your next summer holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Aug 2017
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...