STR Global Reports new Mexico and Caribbean hotels on the Pipeline
The new Caribbean/Mexico hotels that were under the August 2009 STR Construction Pipeline Report are now becoming a reality whilst newer projects have come to a stand still after the uncertainty of the global recession.
Projects for new Mexico and Caribbean hotels which had started construction before August 2009 are carrying on as planned without delays whereas some newer projects have come to a stand still. Those new Mexico & Caribbean hotels which were planned under the August STR Construction Pipeline Report released this week are well on their way towards completion with 141 new Mexico & Caribbean hotels making a total of 1,535 rooms currently being built.
“At the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Investment Conference held earlier this year in Bermuda, the general sentiment was that development would dwindle to a virtual trickle in the Caribbean in 2009 and 2010,” said Duane Vinson, vice president at STR. "It appears that earlier projections are now a reality. With fewer than 50 projects in the active pipeline, new projects have come to a stand still."
Among the countries in the region, Mexico hotels reported the largest amount of rooms in the ‘In Construction’ phase with 5,289 rooms under way and a total of 10,810 rooms in the active pipeline. Puerto Rico followed with 1,163 rooms at the ‘In Construction’ phase and 1,627 rooms in the active pipeline. Lastly, The Bahamas also ended the month with more than 1,000 rooms in the active pipeline with a total of 1,439.
Between the different categories of new Mexico and Caribbean resorts under construction the largest percentage was for new luxury hotels with as many as 23.3% of the rooms catering for the higher end of luxury holidays. The following category occupying 20.7% of the active pipeline of hotels with 3,836 rooms was the Mid-Scale hotel range without Food and Beverage. The Mid-Scale hotels with Food and Beverage catering towards the family and beach holidays market accounted for 8.6% of the total with 1602 rooms in the active pipeline whereas the more Economical range of new Mexico & Caribbean hotels made up the smallest portion of the totals occupying only 6.1%.
STR Global is a 20-year old company whose initials stand for ‘Smith Travel Research’. A leader in the lodging industry for benchmarking and research, Smith Travel Research and STR Global offer monthly, weekly, and daily STAR benchmarking reports to more than 36,000 hotel clients, representing nearly 5 million rooms worldwide.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...