Eco-Cuba holidays explored with TURNAT 2009
Cuba's Zapata Peninsula in Matanzas is readying to host the 7th International Forum on Nature Tourism which will run from 14-18 September 2009. This year a total of 1000 representatives and 33 journalists from 16 countries will be attending
One of Cuba’s most important natural reserves, the Zapata Biosphere is getting ready to host the 7th International Forum on Nature Tourism; TURNAT 2009, an event that takes place every two years and usually involves presentations, talks and promotions on how to make Cuba holidays more eco-friendly and how to incorporate the eco-package into some Cuba hotels for an all together more ecological holiday experience.
Running from 14-18 September 2009 this year the event will have 100 representatives and 33 journalists from 16 countries with programmes that include presentations on Cuba nature-tourism and Cuba nature holiday destinations, among which one of the main exploratory eco-places will be the Zapata Swamp biosphere, a world-renowned spot and the best preserved wetlands in all of the Antilles, designated as a Wetland of International Importance by the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands in 1971, and later by 2001 having been officially declared a Ramsar Site.
The TURNAT forum will also have a cultural presentation by an artistic group form the Korimakao community, meetings with local historians and biologists will also take place, as well as a trip to the Bay of Pigs museum and lovely nature walks to explore the eco Cuba holiday appeal.
In the region surrounding the Zapata peninsula the participants will take tours of the recreational facilities at Guamá-Boca, the Crocodile Hatchery and the Treasure Lagoon. For the most naturally rich Cuba holidays, the Zapata peninsula is the larges and most important wetland in the Caribbean, a vast biosphere with the Zapata Swamp being internationally recognised as a World Biosphere Reserve with more than 900 autochthonous plant species, 175 bird species, 31 species of reptiles and over 1000 species of invertebrates. Moreover the swamp is also visited by 65 species of migratory birds during their migration season from North America through the Caribbean to South America. Within the Zapata Swamp, the eco-traveller can find numerous designated areas for environmental preservation, such as the Zapata Swamp Natural Reserve and Las Salinas wildlife sanctuary which is part of the larger Zapata Biosphere Reserve (IUCN category VI) which totals over 6000 squared kilometres and is the largest protected are not only in Cuba but in the whole Caribbean. Cuba holidays can truly become something else with an enriching set of eco-tours through the many varied wonders of the Zapata Biosphere.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...