Eco-Cuba holidays explored with TURNAT 2009
Cuba's Zapata Peninsula in Matanzas is readying to host the 7th International Forum on Nature Tourism which will run from 14-18 September 2009. This year a total of 1000 representatives and 33 journalists from 16 countries will be attending
One of Cuba’s most important natural reserves, the Zapata Biosphere is getting ready to host the 7th International Forum on Nature Tourism; TURNAT 2009, an event that takes place every two years and usually involves presentations, talks and promotions on how to make Cuba holidays more eco-friendly and how to incorporate the eco-package into some Cuba hotels for an all together more ecological holiday experience.
Running from 14-18 September 2009 this year the event will have 100 representatives and 33 journalists from 16 countries with programmes that include presentations on Cuba nature-tourism and Cuba nature holiday destinations, among which one of the main exploratory eco-places will be the Zapata Swamp biosphere, a world-renowned spot and the best preserved wetlands in all of the Antilles, designated as a Wetland of International Importance by the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands in 1971, and later by 2001 having been officially declared a Ramsar Site.
The TURNAT forum will also have a cultural presentation by an artistic group form the Korimakao community, meetings with local historians and biologists will also take place, as well as a trip to the Bay of Pigs museum and lovely nature walks to explore the eco Cuba holiday appeal.
In the region surrounding the Zapata peninsula the participants will take tours of the recreational facilities at Guamá-Boca, the Crocodile Hatchery and the Treasure Lagoon. For the most naturally rich Cuba holidays, the Zapata peninsula is the larges and most important wetland in the Caribbean, a vast biosphere with the Zapata Swamp being internationally recognised as a World Biosphere Reserve with more than 900 autochthonous plant species, 175 bird species, 31 species of reptiles and over 1000 species of invertebrates. Moreover the swamp is also visited by 65 species of migratory birds during their migration season from North America through the Caribbean to South America. Within the Zapata Swamp, the eco-traveller can find numerous designated areas for environmental preservation, such as the Zapata Swamp Natural Reserve and Las Salinas wildlife sanctuary which is part of the larger Zapata Biosphere Reserve (IUCN category VI) which totals over 6000 squared kilometres and is the largest protected are not only in Cuba but in the whole Caribbean. Cuba holidays can truly become something else with an enriching set of eco-tours through the many varied wonders of the Zapata Biosphere.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...