Eco-Cuba holidays explored with TURNAT 2009
Cuba's Zapata Peninsula in Matanzas is readying to host the 7th International Forum on Nature Tourism which will run from 14-18 September 2009. This year a total of 1000 representatives and 33 journalists from 16 countries will be attending
One of Cuba’s most important natural reserves, the Zapata Biosphere is getting ready to host the 7th International Forum on Nature Tourism; TURNAT 2009, an event that takes place every two years and usually involves presentations, talks and promotions on how to make Cuba holidays more eco-friendly and how to incorporate the eco-package into some Cuba hotels for an all together more ecological holiday experience.
Running from 14-18 September 2009 this year the event will have 100 representatives and 33 journalists from 16 countries with programmes that include presentations on Cuba nature-tourism and Cuba nature holiday destinations, among which one of the main exploratory eco-places will be the Zapata Swamp biosphere, a world-renowned spot and the best preserved wetlands in all of the Antilles, designated as a Wetland of International Importance by the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands in 1971, and later by 2001 having been officially declared a Ramsar Site.
The TURNAT forum will also have a cultural presentation by an artistic group form the Korimakao community, meetings with local historians and biologists will also take place, as well as a trip to the Bay of Pigs museum and lovely nature walks to explore the eco Cuba holiday appeal.
In the region surrounding the Zapata peninsula the participants will take tours of the recreational facilities at Guamá-Boca, the Crocodile Hatchery and the Treasure Lagoon. For the most naturally rich Cuba holidays, the Zapata peninsula is the larges and most important wetland in the Caribbean, a vast biosphere with the Zapata Swamp being internationally recognised as a World Biosphere Reserve with more than 900 autochthonous plant species, 175 bird species, 31 species of reptiles and over 1000 species of invertebrates. Moreover the swamp is also visited by 65 species of migratory birds during their migration season from North America through the Caribbean to South America. Within the Zapata Swamp, the eco-traveller can find numerous designated areas for environmental preservation, such as the Zapata Swamp Natural Reserve and Las Salinas wildlife sanctuary which is part of the larger Zapata Biosphere Reserve (IUCN category VI) which totals over 6000 squared kilometres and is the largest protected are not only in Cuba but in the whole Caribbean. Cuba holidays can truly become something else with an enriching set of eco-tours through the many varied wonders of the Zapata Biosphere.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
The ultimate beach holiday experience awaits you at Los Cactus, a Caribbean paradise for golf-lovers and scuba...