Sri Lanka leases islands for new luxury hotels and resorts
Plans to lease out the islands at the north-west coast of Sri Lanka are already underway. In a bid to attract more costumers. the government announced that 5 of country's island in the Kalpitiva lagoon region will be available to lease
Plans are underway to lease out the islands situated just off the north-west coast of Sri Lanka in a bid to attract more tourists.
Government officials have announced that five of the country’s islands in the Kalpitiva lagoon region will be available to lease to provide a new range of Sri Lanka hotels and luxury resorts for visitors taking Sri Lanka holidays.
Since the ending of the war in Sri Lanka, which lasted nearly 30 years, tourism officials are optimistic about the future of the island’s travel and tourism industry.
Faiszer Musthapha, Tourism Promotion Minister, said:
“The tourism promotion ministry and investment promotion ministry were already holding talks with international hotel investors on new projects in the country. The end of the war in May, when government forces defeated the Tamil Tiger rebels, has generated a lot of interest in Sri Lanka’s tourism sector among international investors and hotel operators.”
There will be 4000 rooms available within luxury resorts in the Kalpitiva region available for visitors taking holidays in Sri Lanka. The stunning region of Kalpitiva was left alone during the war and now that it has come to an end, big plans are underway to utilise it as a luxury tourist destination for high end travellers from all over the world to enjoy whilst on their Sri Lanka holidays.
Chairman of the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau, Bernard Goonetilleke, said:
“Previous fears that such a large number of rooms being added might lead to overcapacity at a time when existing hotels were struggling to fill their rooms had evaporated with the end of the war. We now wonder whether 4,000 rooms will be enough to meet increasing demand.”
Visitor numbers to Sri Lanka are already on the increase since the end of the war, and bookings have already risen for visitors looking to take Sri Lanka holidays this winter season. Plans are currently underway for Six Senses, a leading international luxury hotel group, to develop a six-star boutique resort on one of the newly leased islands.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting a la carte menus and buffet style
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....