Sri Lanka holiday industry positive as stock market reaches two year high
Sri Lanka's stock market has seen its highest level in two years thanks to an increase in tourism and travel shares. The value of the country's stock market has been given a push by more people now choosing Sri Lanka as their holiday destination
Sri Lanka's stock market has risen to its highest level in two years with the main reason being down to an increase in shares in the tourism and travel sector. There has been a substantial increase in people taking Sri Lanka holidays and breaks to Sri Lanka hotels during June and July of this year and future bookings to the beautiful destination are also on the increase.
Travel industry experts think that this is mainly down to the end of the 25 year war which had previously put visitors off booking a Sri Lanka holiday and therefore kept travellers away for a long period.
CSEHT, the hotel and travel index, reached its highest levels of 2548.34 points and in 2009 it is up 168 percent. Broker at First Guardian Equities, Mohandas Thangarajah, said:
"Investors are interested in hotel shares and blue chips. New IPOs (Initial Public Offerings), declining interest rates and increasing tourist arrivals have helped the market to boom."
With a recent re-branding campaign which saw the replacement of Sri Lanka's logo and tagline from, Sri Lanka, Land Like No Other, to Sri Lanka, Small Miracle, more tourists are expected to book a Sri Lanka holiday and visit the island in the near future.
Tourism officials and local businesses welcome the good news that Sri Lanka is climbing back on the travel industry ladder, despite the recent economical crisis, and look forward to the influx of 500,000 tourists predicted to visit the country this year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Embark on a holiday of a lifetime with this amazing twin centre special offer
- Indulge your senses with the amazing spa treatments at the Avani Kalutara
- Enjoy an authentic Rajasthani meal with a local Indian family in Jaipur
- Buy some amazing souvenirs made by sculptors who claim to be direct descendants of the craftsmen who built the Taj Mahal
Take advantage of a this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...