Sri Lanka holiday industry positive as stock market reaches two year high
Sri Lanka's stock market has seen its highest level in two years thanks to an increase in tourism and travel shares. The value of the country's stock market has been given a push by more people now choosing Sri Lanka as their holiday destination
Sri Lanka's stock market has risen to its highest level in two years with the main reason being down to an increase in shares in the tourism and travel sector. There has been a substantial increase in people taking Sri Lanka holidays and breaks to Sri Lanka hotels during June and July of this year and future bookings to the beautiful destination are also on the increase.
Travel industry experts think that this is mainly down to the end of the 25 year war which had previously put visitors off booking a Sri Lanka holiday and therefore kept travellers away for a long period.
CSEHT, the hotel and travel index, reached its highest levels of 2548.34 points and in 2009 it is up 168 percent. Broker at First Guardian Equities, Mohandas Thangarajah, said:
"Investors are interested in hotel shares and blue chips. New IPOs (Initial Public Offerings), declining interest rates and increasing tourist arrivals have helped the market to boom."
With a recent re-branding campaign which saw the replacement of Sri Lanka's logo and tagline from, Sri Lanka, Land Like No Other, to Sri Lanka, Small Miracle, more tourists are expected to book a Sri Lanka holiday and visit the island in the near future.
Tourism officials and local businesses welcome the good news that Sri Lanka is climbing back on the travel industry ladder, despite the recent economical crisis, and look forward to the influx of 500,000 tourists predicted to visit the country this year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....