Sri Lanka holiday industry positive as stock market reaches two year high
Sri Lanka's stock market has seen its highest level in two years thanks to an increase in tourism and travel shares. The value of the country's stock market has been given a push by more people now choosing Sri Lanka as their holiday destination
Sri Lanka's stock market has risen to its highest level in two years with the main reason being down to an increase in shares in the tourism and travel sector. There has been a substantial increase in people taking Sri Lanka holidays and breaks to Sri Lanka hotels during June and July of this year and future bookings to the beautiful destination are also on the increase.
Travel industry experts think that this is mainly down to the end of the 25 year war which had previously put visitors off booking a Sri Lanka holiday and therefore kept travellers away for a long period.
CSEHT, the hotel and travel index, reached its highest levels of 2548.34 points and in 2009 it is up 168 percent. Broker at First Guardian Equities, Mohandas Thangarajah, said:
"Investors are interested in hotel shares and blue chips. New IPOs (Initial Public Offerings), declining interest rates and increasing tourist arrivals have helped the market to boom."
With a recent re-branding campaign which saw the replacement of Sri Lanka's logo and tagline from, Sri Lanka, Land Like No Other, to Sri Lanka, Small Miracle, more tourists are expected to book a Sri Lanka holiday and visit the island in the near future.
Tourism officials and local businesses welcome the good news that Sri Lanka is climbing back on the travel industry ladder, despite the recent economical crisis, and look forward to the influx of 500,000 tourists predicted to visit the country this year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....