A practical guide to Dubai
National holidays and celebrations
Most official public holidays in Dubai are based around celebrations in the Islamic Lunar Calendar and are often subject to last minute changes by local government authorities. If you're planning your holiday around a particular celebration, check the dates with us first.
If you're not sure when it is best to go, our travel advisers can help you decide what dates to avoid, and when to catch the big festivals like Dubai's famous festival of shopping.
Main public holidays
- New Year's Day: 1st January
- Mouloud (Birth of the Prophet): February
- Leilat al-Meiraj (Ascension of the Prophet): Often observed in June but changes according to the Muslim lunar calendar
- Eid al-Fitr (End of Ramadan): A three day celebration
- Al-Hijra: Islamic New Year
- UAE National Day: 2nd and 3rd of December
- Dubai Shopping Festival: Between January and February
- Dubai International Jazz Festival: February or March
- Dubai Desert Classic: Between February and March (International golf)
- Dubai Summer Surprises: June, July and August
- National Day Festival: Early December
- Diwali: The Hindu 'Festival of Lights', its exact date changes every year
Dubai's official currency is the dirham (abbreviated with codes AED and Dhs).
- For the best conversion rates, bring British pounds to exchange in Dubai's banks.
- We don't advise changing money at the airport, as rates are often very poor.
- Larger shops, hotels and restaurants accept credit cards and traveller's cheques.
- Tips and taxes are usually included in most bills so adding a further 10% for service is considered more than generous if you feel it's deserved.
Catering to all palates, Dubai is packed with top notch eateries offering an excellent selection of world cuisine and Michelin-starred restaurants.
Find food from every corner of the world, with Indian, Pakistani and Filipino restaurants being the cheaper options, while French, Thai, Mediterranean and Italian restaurants are found in all price ranges.
For a striking view whilst enjoying exceptional (but very expensive) seafood, we love the underwater Ossiano Restaurant at the Atlantis,The Palm resort – a breathtaking experience on its own. Our other favourites include the Nobu Japanese restaurant, BiCE at the Hilton hotel, and the Blue Elephant at the Al Bustan Rotana Hotel.
To sample authentic Arabic cuisine, try the street cuisine at the Heritage and Diving Village, or ask to try a Bedouin wedding feast classic - stuffed camel!
With radiant sunshine all year long and a hot subtropical climate, Dubai is a popular year-round holiday destination.
- September through May is the most pleasant time to visit, with daily temperatures averaging 20°C to 25°C, dropping significantly in the evenings (be prepared for cooler nights, though the temperature is unlikely to drop below the mid-teens).
- Summer can be extremely hot. In coastal areas you may find it more humid, and further inland you may find it drier and hotter due to lack of rainfall with daytime highs of 54°C often seen in August.
- Winters (December to March) are mild, with average highs of 23°C.
- Rainfall is scarce and mostly falls in February, whilst June is the driest month.
Dubai Holidays Browse all
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
Soak in the sunshine with this luxurious retreat across two stylish destinations
- Indulge in the luxury spas at both resorts
- Ideal location in the heart of Dubai
- Dine on delicious street food from across Asia in Bali
Discover the stunning highlights of Dubai!
- Discover the best of Dubai with all amazing attractions included
- English speaking chauffer guide for the excursions
- Discover Dubai at your own pace with this private tour
Lap up the mesmerising coastal beauty of western Mauritius and then explore Dubai - a city of wonders
Discover and Experience the best of both worlds Mauritius and Dubai
- Take advantage of the tennis courts, beach volley ball and many indoor games at Anelia Beach Resort
- Dubai stay at a TripAdvisor Winner with a Certificate of Excellence hotel
- The Perfect location of Anelia Beach Resort will let you enjoy Mauritius breathtaking sea views
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Spoil yourself as the well-heeled do with a trip to the magical city of Dubai. This desert city is known for its...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Rising into the sky from the midst of Dubai's golden sands is the majestic Jumeirah Beach Hotel, more an enchanting work...
Ideally located on the West coast of Mauritius in the village of Flic en Flac and only 2 km from the restaurants, casino...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
Regarded as one of Dubai's most luxury hotels, Marina View Apartments is ideally located in the centre of Dubai's...
Centro Barsha combines style, warmth and convenience with a splash of elegant creativity to provide guests with more...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Dubai
Dubai NewsBrowse all Dubai News
Sales Executive from Emirates Airlines, Emma Colyer landed in The Holiday Place yesterday to bestow some seasonal cheer and update us all on the airlines' plans for 2017. After gifting us with some handy 2017 calendars she told us of the airline's introduction of brand new state-of-the-art plans and the retiring of the older models. We also chatted about increasing our cooperation links in destinations like Bali, Thailand and the Seychelles.
American reality TV star and Hilton Hotels and Resorts heiress, Paris Hilton, is planning to open new luxury hotels in Dubai, Las Vegas, and New York. According to Forbes business magazine, the new brand will be named after her first name and will not use the Hilton family name, and the inspiration behind the new business is from her recent collaborations with Century Properties in the Philippines and the launch of beach clubs.
The United Arab Emirates is made up of seven states that are popular destinations due to all-year-round sunny, hot weather and magnificent natural landscapes. Its crystal-clear waters are now attracting more scuba diving enthusiasts, and Time Out Dubai has highlighted some of the best diving destinations in the Middle Eastern region, from rocky structures to sunken shipwrecks.