A practical guide to Dubai
National holidays and celebrations
Most official public holidays in Dubai are based around celebrations in the Islamic Lunar Calendar and are often subject to last minute changes by local government authorities. If you're planning your holiday around a particular celebration, check the dates with us first.
If you're not sure when it is best to go, our travel advisers can help you decide what dates to avoid, and when to catch the big festivals like Dubai's famous festival of shopping.
Main public holidays
- New Year's Day: 1st January
- Mouloud (Birth of the Prophet): February
- Leilat al-Meiraj (Ascension of the Prophet): Often observed in June but changes according to the Muslim lunar calendar
- Eid al-Fitr (End of Ramadan): A three day celebration
- Al-Hijra: Islamic New Year
- UAE National Day: 2nd and 3rd of December
- Dubai Shopping Festival: Between January and February
- Dubai International Jazz Festival: February or March
- Dubai Desert Classic: Between February and March (International golf)
- Dubai Summer Surprises: June, July and August
- National Day Festival: Early December
- Diwali: The Hindu 'Festival of Lights', its exact date changes every year
Dubai's official currency is the dirham (abbreviated with codes AED and Dhs).
- For the best conversion rates, bring British pounds to exchange in Dubai's banks.
- We don't advise changing money at the airport, as rates are often very poor.
- Larger shops, hotels and restaurants accept credit cards and traveller's cheques.
- Tips and taxes are usually included in most bills so adding a further 10% for service is considered more than generous if you feel it's deserved.
Catering to all palates, Dubai is packed with top notch eateries offering an excellent selection of world cuisine and Michelin-starred restaurants.
Find food from every corner of the world, with Indian, Pakistani and Filipino restaurants being the cheaper options, while French, Thai, Mediterranean and Italian restaurants are found in all price ranges.
For a striking view whilst enjoying exceptional (but very expensive) seafood, we love the underwater Ossiano Restaurant at the Atlantis,The Palm resort – a breathtaking experience on its own. Our other favourites include the Nobu Japanese restaurant, BiCE at the Hilton hotel, and the Blue Elephant at the Al Bustan Rotana Hotel.
To sample authentic Arabic cuisine, try the street cuisine at the Heritage and Diving Village, or ask to try a Bedouin wedding feast classic - stuffed camel!
With radiant sunshine all year long and a hot subtropical climate, Dubai is a popular year-round holiday destination.
- September through May is the most pleasant time to visit, with daily temperatures averaging 20°C to 25°C, dropping significantly in the evenings (be prepared for cooler nights, though the temperature is unlikely to drop below the mid-teens).
- Summer can be extremely hot. In coastal areas you may find it more humid, and further inland you may find it drier and hotter due to lack of rainfall with daytime highs of 54°C often seen in August.
- Winters (December to March) are mild, with average highs of 23°C.
- Rainfall is scarce and mostly falls in February, whilst June is the driest month.
Dubai Holidays Browse all
The location of this resort means that you can relax on Jumeirah Beach whilst still being able to explore the city
- Complimentary Wi-fi, a Serta Suite Dreams Bed and a 32" flat screen HD TV ensure the time spent in your room will live up to all your expectations
- Visit the Dubai Mall, the heritage and historic village and Gold & Spice Souk and Jumeirah Beach
- The outdoor temperature-controlled pool overlooks city attractions and is open from 7am to 8pm
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
- 300 AED SPA credit per person per stay for the hotel SPA
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
Magical moments are guaranteed at One and Only The Palace, a luxury resort elegantly set beside Dubai's wonderful Jumeira beach
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants, try out the water sports or pamper yourself at the One & Only Spa.
- Chic and contemporary rooms offer amazing views of the Gulf with an Arabian twist.
- complimentary access to Aquaventure Waterpark at Atlantis The Palm
For an affordable luxury holiday on Dubai's iconic The Palm, head for Sofitel and take the whole family with you, they'll love it
- Boasting a Roof Top Swimming Pool
- Free high-speed internet and wifi
- Located by the famous Jumeirah Marina and close to shops, restaurants, bars and the Emirates Shopping Mall
Spoil yourself as the well-heeled do with a trip to the magical city of Dubai. This desert city is known for its...
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
The new Sofitel The Palm Dubai epitomizes understated luxury combined with the utmost comfort. Located on Dubai’s...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Dubai has emerged as a top tourist destination for travellers across the globe. The city of Dubai in UAE reflects the...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Dubai
Dubai NewsBrowse all Dubai News
As part of their Easter Campaign, the Dubai Tourist board has released two new promotional videos enticing travellers to take a sunny break from British weather's gloom and doom in always reliably radiant and cloud-free Dubai. While one video is aimed at freeing families from annoying clothing layers, the other one inspires young girls in search a fun, sun-filled escape.
Sales Executive from Emirates Airlines, Emma Colyer landed in The Holiday Place yesterday to bestow some seasonal cheer and update us all on the airlines' plans for 2017. After gifting us with some handy 2017 calendars she told us of the airline's introduction of brand new state-of-the-art plans and the retiring of the older models. We also chatted about increasing our cooperation links in destinations like Bali, Thailand and the Seychelles.
American reality TV star and Hilton Hotels and Resorts heiress, Paris Hilton, is planning to open new luxury hotels in Dubai, Las Vegas, and New York. According to Forbes business magazine, the new brand will be named after her first name and will not use the Hilton family name, and the inspiration behind the new business is from her recent collaborations with Century Properties in the Philippines and the launch of beach clubs.