Al Maha Falconry Demonstrations
Duration: Half Day
Witness one of the desert’s oldest sports during your holiday in Dubai as you enjoy a falconry demonstration at the Al Maha Desert Resort. Learn the history of falconry and marvel at these magnificent birds of prey as they fly high above the desert. This is a unique opportunity not to be missed.
The luxurious Al Maha Desert Resort is set in 225 square kilometres of unspoilt desert landscape, which encompasses an award-winning nature reserve. This is undoubtedly one of the most enchanting areas in Dubai and the ideal setting in which to embark on a range of exciting tours. In addition to archery, dune bashing and mountain safaris, one of the most popular activities here is the Falconry Demonstration, believed to be the desert’s oldest sport. It is not known exactly when man first trained a bird of prey for hunting, but the art of falconry was already well established in the Middle and Far East by 2000 BC. The desert-dwelling Bedouin tribes used falcons as a way of life, enabling them to catch game without the need for guns. The vast open space of the desert was the ideal hunting ground.
Falconry continues to play a large role in Middle Eastern culture today, mainly following the old tradition of trapping wild young hawks or falcons in the autumn, hunting with them during the winter and then releasing them back into the wild in the spring. Falconry demonstrations at Al Maha aim to inform and educate visitors about the history and finer points of this ancient sport. Learn about the role of falconry in Dubai and throughout the UAE, followed by a demonstration of the style of training used to prepare a falcon for its journey. The birds are taught to fly when released, and to leave the prey untouched after killing it. They also learn to sit quietly on the falconer's wrist when hooded, associating the darkness with safety. The results are certainly admirable.
The highlight of the day is admiring and photographing these magnificent hunting birds in flight during the cooler parts of the day. Watch closely as they fly gracefully into the sky, soaring high above the vast golden sands of the surrounding desert. This is a breathtaking experience to capture. You will also be able to get up close to the falcons afterwards, and even handle different species under the careful supervision of a specialist Field Guide. This is an educational and eye-opening experience for both adults and children.
Dubai Holidays Browse all
Explore both Dubai and Abu Dhabi and stay at the five-star Hyatt Regency and Beach Rotana Hotel set in the heart of Abu Dhabi
- At Hyatt Regency there are incredible bars, clubs and restaurants right at the spot, including hip and trendy Sho Cho that's been taking Dubai's fashion set by storm
- The Hyatt Regency is a landmark hotel, centrally located in the heritage area of Deira, Dubai's historic district with stunning views over the city!
- The Beach Rotana has a great location with a private beach, beside a shopping mall and in the heart of the bustling city. It is 30 minutes from the airport
Get two incredible destinations for the price of one on this amazing trip to Dubai and Phuket
- Perfect beachside location in popular Karon
- Vibrant base in Dubai in Al Barsha
- Family friendly resort in Phuket with an amazing poolside restaurant
Capture the wonder of India before an amazing chance to visit Dubai
- Take advantage of the personal training and sports lessons at the Hyatt Regency
- Experience a typically Indian meal with a Rajasthani Family
- Explore the City palace in Jaipur
Lap up the mesmerising coastal beauty of western Mauritius and then explore Dubai - a city of wonders
Discover and Experience the best of both worlds Mauritius and Dubai
- Take advantage of the tennis courts, beach volley ball and many indoor games at Anelia Beach Resort
- Dubai stay at a TripAdvisor Winner with a Certificate of Excellence hotel
- The Perfect location of Anelia Beach Resort will let you enjoy Mauritius breathtaking sea views
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
This 7 nights tour is the perfect introduction to the wonders of India's 'Golden Triangle'. This area is home to the...
India is one of the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the colourful and vibrant cities...
Enjoy a stunning view on the east coast of Mauritius. This 4-star resort combines natural beauty and contemporary...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The first Sofitel SO brand in the world is a luxury Eco resort, set in an oasis of nature in the south of Mauritius,...
Greeting guests with an ambience of contemporary luxury complimented by dramatic architecture and design, the Media...
Treat yourself to a truly unique experience by combining two luxury hotels in one trip and discover the best of the...
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...
Marmara Hotel Apartments is ideally located in the heart of "New Dubai", within walking distance to the region's most...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Dubai
Dubai NewsBrowse all Dubai News
As part of their Easter Campaign, the Dubai Tourist board has released two new promotional videos enticing travellers to take a sunny break from British weather's gloom and doom in always reliably radiant and cloud-free Dubai. While one video is aimed at freeing families from annoying clothing layers, the other one inspires young girls in search a fun, sun-filled escape.
Sales Executive from Emirates Airlines, Emma Colyer landed in The Holiday Place yesterday to bestow some seasonal cheer and update us all on the airlines' plans for 2017. After gifting us with some handy 2017 calendars she told us of the airline's introduction of brand new state-of-the-art plans and the retiring of the older models. We also chatted about increasing our cooperation links in destinations like Bali, Thailand and the Seychelles.
American reality TV star and Hilton Hotels and Resorts heiress, Paris Hilton, is planning to open new luxury hotels in Dubai, Las Vegas, and New York. According to Forbes business magazine, the new brand will be named after her first name and will not use the Hilton family name, and the inspiration behind the new business is from her recent collaborations with Century Properties in the Philippines and the launch of beach clubs.