Al Maha Falconry Demonstrations
Duration: Half Day
Witness one of the desert’s oldest sports during your holiday in Dubai as you enjoy a falconry demonstration at the Al Maha Desert Resort. Learn the history of falconry and marvel at these magnificent birds of prey as they fly high above the desert. This is a unique opportunity not to be missed.
The luxurious Al Maha Desert Resort is set in 225 square kilometres of unspoilt desert landscape, which encompasses an award-winning nature reserve. This is undoubtedly one of the most enchanting areas in Dubai and the ideal setting in which to embark on a range of exciting tours. In addition to archery, dune bashing and mountain safaris, one of the most popular activities here is the Falconry Demonstration, believed to be the desert’s oldest sport. It is not known exactly when man first trained a bird of prey for hunting, but the art of falconry was already well established in the Middle and Far East by 2000 BC. The desert-dwelling Bedouin tribes used falcons as a way of life, enabling them to catch game without the need for guns. The vast open space of the desert was the ideal hunting ground.
Falconry continues to play a large role in Middle Eastern culture today, mainly following the old tradition of trapping wild young hawks or falcons in the autumn, hunting with them during the winter and then releasing them back into the wild in the spring. Falconry demonstrations at Al Maha aim to inform and educate visitors about the history and finer points of this ancient sport. Learn about the role of falconry in Dubai and throughout the UAE, followed by a demonstration of the style of training used to prepare a falcon for its journey. The birds are taught to fly when released, and to leave the prey untouched after killing it. They also learn to sit quietly on the falconer's wrist when hooded, associating the darkness with safety. The results are certainly admirable.
The highlight of the day is admiring and photographing these magnificent hunting birds in flight during the cooler parts of the day. Watch closely as they fly gracefully into the sky, soaring high above the vast golden sands of the surrounding desert. This is a breathtaking experience to capture. You will also be able to get up close to the falcons afterwards, and even handle different species under the careful supervision of a specialist Field Guide. This is an educational and eye-opening experience for both adults and children.
Dubai Holidays Browse all
Combine the peaceful luxury of Mauritius with the opulent excitement of Dubai
- Young travellers are invited to ignite their imagination at Le Méridien Family Kids Club
- Enjoy a therapeutic steam bath or relaxing massage in the on-site Spa in Dubai
- Enjoy a plethora of complimentary water activities in Mauritius
- Exclusive Offer! Limited time only!
Capture the wonder of India before an amazing chance to visit Dubai
- Take advantage of the personal training and sports lessons at the Hyatt Regency
- Experience a typically Indian meal with a Rajasthani Family
- Explore the City palace in Jaipur
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
Lap up the mesmerising coastal beauty of western Mauritius and then explore Dubai - a city of wonders
Discover and Experience the best of both worlds Mauritius and Dubai
- Take advantage of the tennis courts, beach volley ball and many indoor games at Anelia Beach Resort
- Dubai stay at a TripAdvisor Winner with a Certificate of Excellence hotel
- The Perfect location of Anelia Beach Resort will let you enjoy Mauritius breathtaking sea views
The perfect location to discover the beauty of Mauritius and experience the luxury of Dubai
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha offers luxurious accommodation as all rooms have an HD TV with Wi-fi as well as opulent bathrooms facilities to make it a comfortable stay
- Add an excursion package (a half-day Dubai city tour, aÂ desert safari and a ÂDhow cruise experience) for Â£99 more per person
- Enjoy a luxury and comfortable stay at Sofitel So in a Lushury Room including a private garden with open air bathtub
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
This 7 nights tour is the perfect introduction to the wonders of India's 'Golden Triangle'. This area is home to the...
India is one of the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the colourful and vibrant cities...
The first Sofitel SO brand in the world is a luxury Eco resort, set in an oasis of nature in the south of Mauritius,...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Greeting guests with an ambience of contemporary luxury complimented by dramatic architecture and design, the Media...
Situated in Bay Square, a low-rise community filled with shops, street side dining and businesses, DoubleTree by Hilton...
Set along the Links Championship Golf Course on Yas Island, this luxurious hotel features a 30 yards outdoor pool with...
Marmara Hotel Apartments is ideally located in the heart of "New Dubai", within walking distance to the region's most...
Treat yourself to a truly unique experience by combining two luxury hotels in one trip and discover the best of the...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Related articles for Dubai
Dubai NewsBrowse all Dubai News
As part of their Easter Campaign, the Dubai Tourist board has released two new promotional videos enticing travellers to take a sunny break from British weather's gloom and doom in always reliably radiant and cloud-free Dubai. While one video is aimed at freeing families from annoying clothing layers, the other one inspires young girls in search a fun, sun-filled escape.
Sales Executive from Emirates Airlines, Emma Colyer landed in The Holiday Place yesterday to bestow some seasonal cheer and update us all on the airlines' plans for 2017. After gifting us with some handy 2017 calendars she told us of the airline's introduction of brand new state-of-the-art plans and the retiring of the older models. We also chatted about increasing our cooperation links in destinations like Bali, Thailand and the Seychelles.
American reality TV star and Hilton Hotels and Resorts heiress, Paris Hilton, is planning to open new luxury hotels in Dubai, Las Vegas, and New York. According to Forbes business magazine, the new brand will be named after her first name and will not use the Hilton family name, and the inspiration behind the new business is from her recent collaborations with Century Properties in the Philippines and the launch of beach clubs.