Duration: Half Day
If you want to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city during your holiday in Dubai, there are plenty of opportunities to venture off the beaten track and explore the Emirate’s beautiful rural countryside. Some of the most popular tours take visitors in and around the ancient village of Hatta, where you can discover historical forts, lush wadis, natural rock pools, sand dunes, mountains and much more besides. Choose your trip and prepare for the adventure of a lifetime.
With much to offer, the picturesque mountain town of Hatta is an ideal overnight stopover for travellers who wish to spend time exploring the local area. If you are staying in Dubai, it is also a popular place for day trips. Hatta’s most popular attraction is the Heritage Village, which dates back over 400 years. Nestled among the Hajjar Mountains, overlooking the lush green Hatta Wadi, this ancient fortress town was constructed around an old settlement dating back to the 16th century and stands as a fine example of Dubai’s rich heritage. The traditional mountain village houses are constructed from stone, mud and palm fronds, and have been built around an imposing fort which was the former home of the old Sheikh of Hatta. Several of the buildings showcase examples of ancient artifacts, traditional folklore poetry, musical instruments, costumes and handicrafts made from palm fronds and trees.
There is also a mosque here and two defensive watchtowers which overlook the village. You can climb the towers and enjoy fantastic views of the town and valley below. You will notice that Hatta Village is surrounded by hundreds of date palms, which are all watered using a falaj (traditional irrigation system). This will be explained during the tour.
Close by, you can discover the magnificent Hatta Rock Pools, located just across the border in Oman. Filled with crystal clear turquoise waters, these natural, spring-fed pools and waterfalls are perfect for swimming in. They fortunately carry water all year round, offering visitors a welcome escape from the heat in beautiful surroundings. Another popular off-road destination is the famous Camel Rock, otherwise known as Fossil Rock. Towering majestically above the red desert landscape, this awe-inspiring natural rock formation is embedded with marine fossils that date back millions of years ago when the area was covered by sea.
Other exciting excursions in the area include sand-skiing and quad bike riding along vast, golden-red dunes off the Dubai-Hatta Road. Not to be missed, Hatta offers exhilarating adventures for the whole family to enjoy.
Dubai Holidays Browse all
Enjoy contrasting experiences with vibrant city life followed by sensational facilities and relaxation - all in one country!
- DoubleTree by Hilton Al Barsha is in an excellent locaiton for two world class golf courses
- Located on the iconic Palm Jumeirah, Atlantis, the Palm offers dazzling features such as an underwater maze, a marina education centre and the largest water themed attraction in the Middle East
- 22 renowned restaurants available to choose from at Atlantis, the Palm
Capture the wonder of India before an amazing chance to visit Dubai
- Take advantage of the personal training and sports lessons at the Hyatt Regency
- Experience a typically Indian meal with a Rajasthani Family
- Explore the City palace in Jaipur
Lap up the mesmerising coastal beauty of western Mauritius and then explore Dubai - a city of wonders
Discover and Experience the best of both worlds Mauritius and Dubai
- Take advantage of the tennis courts, beach volley ball and many indoor games at Anelia Beach Resort
- Dubai stay at a TripAdvisor Winner with a Certificate of Excellence hotel
- The Perfect location of Anelia Beach Resort will let you enjoy Mauritius breathtaking sea views
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
Sun Island is al elegant and serene paradise in the Indian Ocean whilst Media Rotana is perfectly positioned for you to explore the wonders of Dubai.
- Both properties have restaurants that cover dishes from around the world
- Media Rotana is perfectly located in the centre of Dubai, within easy reach of shopping centres, the gold souk and Dubai's famous creek
- Sun Island lies in the South Ari Atoll, and is surrounded by wide beaches of fine sand and offshore waters that house underwater gardens full of marine life
Ideal Combination of Sea, Sand and Sights at Zilwa Attitude Hotel and Doubletree by Hilton al Barsha
- Experience traditional Mauritius with Zilwa Atittude Hotel being typical of Mauritian homes and paying tribute to local heritage
- Great culinary adventures await with live cooking restaurants, barbecues, traditional Indian and Thai cuisine just some of the restaurants available
- Many exquisite beaches including four beaches on two private islands in Mauritius and the famous Jumeirah Beach in Dubai
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
This 7 nights tour is the perfect introduction to the wonders of India's 'Golden Triangle'. This area is home to the...
Ideally located on the West coast of Mauritius in the village of Flic en Flac and only 2 km from the restaurants, casino...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
This contemporary 4* hotel is centrally located in Al Barsha and provides easy access to the Sheikh Zayed Road and the...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
Treat yourself to a truly unique experience by combining two luxury hotels in one trip and discover the best of the...
Greeting guests with an ambience of contemporary luxury complimented by dramatic architecture and design, the Media...
Get a taste for Thai life with a stay in the heart of Bangkok at the stylish Rembrandt Hotel and Towers where you are...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Dubai
Dubai NewsBrowse all Dubai News
As part of their Easter Campaign, the Dubai Tourist board has released two new promotional videos enticing travellers to take a sunny break from British weather's gloom and doom in always reliably radiant and cloud-free Dubai. While one video is aimed at freeing families from annoying clothing layers, the other one inspires young girls in search a fun, sun-filled escape.
Sales Executive from Emirates Airlines, Emma Colyer landed in The Holiday Place yesterday to bestow some seasonal cheer and update us all on the airlines' plans for 2017. After gifting us with some handy 2017 calendars she told us of the airline's introduction of brand new state-of-the-art plans and the retiring of the older models. We also chatted about increasing our cooperation links in destinations like Bali, Thailand and the Seychelles.
American reality TV star and Hilton Hotels and Resorts heiress, Paris Hilton, is planning to open new luxury hotels in Dubai, Las Vegas, and New York. According to Forbes business magazine, the new brand will be named after her first name and will not use the Hilton family name, and the inspiration behind the new business is from her recent collaborations with Century Properties in the Philippines and the launch of beach clubs.