Duration: Half Day
If you want to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city during your holiday in Dubai, there are plenty of opportunities to venture off the beaten track and explore the Emirate’s beautiful rural countryside. Some of the most popular tours take visitors in and around the ancient village of Hatta, where you can discover historical forts, lush wadis, natural rock pools, sand dunes, mountains and much more besides. Choose your trip and prepare for the adventure of a lifetime.
With much to offer, the picturesque mountain town of Hatta is an ideal overnight stopover for travellers who wish to spend time exploring the local area. If you are staying in Dubai, it is also a popular place for day trips. Hatta’s most popular attraction is the Heritage Village, which dates back over 400 years. Nestled among the Hajjar Mountains, overlooking the lush green Hatta Wadi, this ancient fortress town was constructed around an old settlement dating back to the 16th century and stands as a fine example of Dubai’s rich heritage. The traditional mountain village houses are constructed from stone, mud and palm fronds, and have been built around an imposing fort which was the former home of the old Sheikh of Hatta. Several of the buildings showcase examples of ancient artifacts, traditional folklore poetry, musical instruments, costumes and handicrafts made from palm fronds and trees.
There is also a mosque here and two defensive watchtowers which overlook the village. You can climb the towers and enjoy fantastic views of the town and valley below. You will notice that Hatta Village is surrounded by hundreds of date palms, which are all watered using a falaj (traditional irrigation system). This will be explained during the tour.
Close by, you can discover the magnificent Hatta Rock Pools, located just across the border in Oman. Filled with crystal clear turquoise waters, these natural, spring-fed pools and waterfalls are perfect for swimming in. They fortunately carry water all year round, offering visitors a welcome escape from the heat in beautiful surroundings. Another popular off-road destination is the famous Camel Rock, otherwise known as Fossil Rock. Towering majestically above the red desert landscape, this awe-inspiring natural rock formation is embedded with marine fossils that date back millions of years ago when the area was covered by sea.
Other exciting excursions in the area include sand-skiing and quad bike riding along vast, golden-red dunes off the Dubai-Hatta Road. Not to be missed, Hatta offers exhilarating adventures for the whole family to enjoy.
Dubai Holidays Browse all
Unwind at the beautiful beaches of Khao Lak before experiencing the best of Dubai
- Outdoor living in Khao Lak with open-air dining, three swimming pools and massages
- Perfect break for families and couples alike
- Experience exquisite luxury in Dubai
Relax with a beach front break on the island of Phuket followed by a stay in the heart of Dubai
- Enjoy panoramic city views from the rooftop pool in Dubai
- Idyllic beachfront location close to the buzzing Karon Beach
- 10 restaurants and bars to choose from at the Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa
Sun Island is al elegant and serene paradise in the Indian Ocean whilst Media Rotana is perfectly positioned for you to explore the wonders of Dubai.
- Both properties have restaurants that cover dishes from around the world
- Media Rotana is perfectly located in the centre of Dubai, within easy reach of shopping centres, the gold souk and Dubai's famous creek
- Sun Island lies in the South Ari Atoll, and is surrounded by wide beaches of fine sand and offshore waters that house underwater gardens full of marine life
Ideal Combination of Sea, Sand and Sights at Zilwa Attitude Hotel and Doubletree by Hilton al Barsha
- Experience traditional Mauritius with Zilwa Atittude Hotel being typical of Mauritian homes and paying tribute to local heritage
- Great culinary adventures await with live cooking restaurants, barbecues, traditional Indian and Thai cuisine just some of the restaurants available
- Many exquisite beaches including four beaches on two private islands in Mauritius and the famous Jumeirah Beach in Dubai
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of two different destinations
- Escape from daily stresses and routine and enjoy a relaxing Spa treatment in Dubai
- Intercontinental Mauritius is within 15-min drive from the main tourist region of Grand Baie and 50-min drive from Plaisance International Airport
- Unlimited recreation opportunities and world-class dinning facilities at Intercontinental Mauritius
The Leaf on the Sands by Katathani boast a great location both near to the centre of Khao Lak and just five minutes...
Treat yourself to a luxury break across two glamourous destinations with the help of the Conrad group. Begin on the...
This 7 nights tour is the perfect introduction to the wonders of India's 'Golden Triangle'. This area is home to the...
Ideally located on the West coast of Mauritius in the village of Flic en Flac and only 2 km from the restaurants, casino...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Marmara Hotel Apartments is ideally located in the heart of "New Dubai", within walking distance to the region's most...
Greeting guests with an ambience of contemporary luxury complimented by dramatic architecture and design, the Media...
Treat yourself to a truly unique experience by combining two luxury hotels in one trip and discover the best of the...
Get a taste for Thai life with a stay in the heart of Bangkok at the stylish Rembrandt Hotel and Towers where you are...
Set along the Links Championship Golf Course on Yas Island, this luxurious hotel features a 30 yards outdoor pool with...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Dubai
Dubai NewsBrowse all Dubai News
Sales Executive from Emirates Airlines, Emma Colyer landed in The Holiday Place yesterday to bestow some seasonal cheer and update us all on the airlines' plans for 2017. After gifting us with some handy 2017 calendars she told us of the airline's introduction of brand new state-of-the-art plans and the retiring of the older models. We also chatted about increasing our cooperation links in destinations like Bali, Thailand and the Seychelles.
American reality TV star and Hilton Hotels and Resorts heiress, Paris Hilton, is planning to open new luxury hotels in Dubai, Las Vegas, and New York. According to Forbes business magazine, the new brand will be named after her first name and will not use the Hilton family name, and the inspiration behind the new business is from her recent collaborations with Century Properties in the Philippines and the launch of beach clubs.
The United Arab Emirates is made up of seven states that are popular destinations due to all-year-round sunny, hot weather and magnificent natural landscapes. Its crystal-clear waters are now attracting more scuba diving enthusiasts, and Time Out Dubai has highlighted some of the best diving destinations in the Middle Eastern region, from rocky structures to sunken shipwrecks.