Dubai - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- What is the time difference between the UK and Dubai?
- When is Ramadan?
- Is it safe to travel outside the hotel?
When is the best time to go?
As Dubai is surrounded by desert, the climate is typically very dry and hot. In the summer, it experiences temperatures of 40 degrees C and above with very high humidity. This means the most pleasant time of year to visit is between December and March, when temperatures average around 25 degrees C and the nights are typically cooler.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens and those from certain EU citizens can obtain a free 30-day visa on arrival at Dubai International Airport. If you wish to stay longer, you need to visit an immigration office to obtain an extension and pay the relevant fee. To find the full list of countries whose citizens do not require obtaining a visa prior to arrival to Dubai, visit the emirates' official Visa Requirements webpage or contact the UAE's official tourist board.
How can I get there?
There are many direct flights to Dubai from London, Manchester and Birmingham, with the average flight taking around six hours and 30 minutes. Among the airlines that offer services to the emirate are Emirates, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic, British Airways and Royal Brunei.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The UAE dirham is the local currency, with one dirham made up of 100 fils. There are many places where you can exchange foreign currency, including banks, licensed exchange offices and some hotels. You'll need to have your passport with you to change money. Debit and credit cards are widely accepted in Dubai, although small shops and souks may only accept cash.
What is there to see and do?
Dubai is renowned for being home to some of the biggest and most striking attractions in the world - with the Burj Khalifa being a prime example. Standing 828-metres-high, this is the world's tallest structure and it stands out among Dubai's other skyscrapers. A trip to the observation deck on the 124th floor is a must. Dubai is also famous for its shopping, with some truly spectacular malls located in the city. The Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates are just two of the shopping centres you can visit. It's also worth venturing into the Gold Souk and the Spice Souk for a more traditional experience. As well as its urban attractions, Dubai is home to some stunning beaches, such as the stretches of sand on The Palm and Jumeirah Beach. Dubai is the last word in luxury, with some of the most opulent hotels and outstanding attractions anywhere in the world, making it a truly unique and special destination.
What is the time difference between the UK and Dubai?
Dubai is three hours ahead of the UK, although during British summertime this difference is reduced to two hours.
When is Ramadan?
The date of Ramadan changes each year and is determined by the moon's cycle. Special committees decide the precise dates of Ramadan each year and they may vary by a day or two according to local moon sightings. Ramadan lasts for approximately 29 to 30 days each year.
Is it safe to travel outside the hotel?
Dubai is considered to be a safe place to travel around and has a very low crime rate. That said, it's sensible to take the same precautions you would in any city by keeping your valuables secure and locking anything you don't need in your hotel safe. It's also wise to respect the local Muslim customs and in the case of women, avoid dressing inappropriately or provocatively in skimpy clothing, which will attract unwanted male attention. Likewise, it's a good idea to refrain from engaging in overly passionate, loving outbursts in public.
Dubai Holidays Browse all
Indulge in a shopping spree in Dubi or hop on the metro to Jumeirah Beach and soak up the sun .
- Free shuttle service to Jumeirah Beach
- Complimentary wireless internet access is available in public areas
- Free shuttle to Emirates shopping malls
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free WIFI
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free WIFI
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
- 300 AED SPA credit per person per stay for the hotel SPA
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
Be sinfully self-indulgent and stay at an outrageously luxurious resort on Dubai's exclusive The Palm. You'll be basking in luxury from dawn to dusk.
- stay on the famous Palm in Dubai and enjoy stunning views over the skyline
- choose to upgrade to an amazing Ultra-All-Inclusive experience in the hotel
- Recieve complimentary boat transfers to iconic Dubai Marina or a free shuttle bus to Mall of the Emirates
Spoil yourself as the well-heeled do with a trip to the magical city of Dubai. This desert city is known for its...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Regarded as one of Dubai's most luxury hotels, Marina View Apartments is ideally located in the centre of Dubai's...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Dubai
Dubai NewsBrowse all Dubai News
As part of their Easter Campaign, the Dubai Tourist board has released two new promotional videos enticing travellers to take a sunny break from British weather's gloom and doom in always reliably radiant and cloud-free Dubai. While one video is aimed at freeing families from annoying clothing layers, the other one inspires young girls in search a fun, sun-filled escape.
Sales Executive from Emirates Airlines, Emma Colyer landed in The Holiday Place yesterday to bestow some seasonal cheer and update us all on the airlines' plans for 2017. After gifting us with some handy 2017 calendars she told us of the airline's introduction of brand new state-of-the-art plans and the retiring of the older models. We also chatted about increasing our cooperation links in destinations like Bali, Thailand and the Seychelles.
American reality TV star and Hilton Hotels and Resorts heiress, Paris Hilton, is planning to open new luxury hotels in Dubai, Las Vegas, and New York. According to Forbes business magazine, the new brand will be named after her first name and will not use the Hilton family name, and the inspiration behind the new business is from her recent collaborations with Century Properties in the Philippines and the launch of beach clubs.