Abu Dhabi - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- Is Abu Dhabi a family-friendly destination?
- When is Ramadan?
- Is it safe to travel outside the hotel?
When is the best time to go?
The climate in Abu Dhabi is sub-tropical and arid, with sunshine and little rain for most of the year. November to April is considered to be the most pleasant time to visit in terms of weather, with cooler temperatures of around 24 degrees C during the day and 13 degrees C overnight. During the summer, temperatures can be as high as 42 degrees C.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens can obtain a free 30-day visa on arrival at Abu Dhabi International Airport. If you wish to stay longer, you need to visit an immigration office to obtain an extension and pay the relevant fee
How can I get there?
There are direct flights from London Heathrow and Manchester airports to Abu Dhabi International Airport, with Etihad Airways operating from both cities and British Airways offering flights from London. The flight time from London is approximately seven hours and 45 minutes, while from Manchester it is seven hours and 55 minutes.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The UAE dirham is the local currency, with one dirham made up of 100 fils. You can exchange foreign currency in banks, licensed exchange offices and some hotels once you arrive - you'll need to have your passport with you. Debit and credit cards are widely accepted in Abu Dhabi, although small shops and souks may only accept cash.
What is there to see and do?
Abu Dhabi has a wide variety of attractions, from high-end shopping malls and championship-standard golf courses to theme parks and heritage sites, such as the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. You can also take a camel safari into the desert to see the amazing sand dunes or visit the oasis city of Al Ain. Corniche Beach is a popular seaside promenade stretching over 8Km, along which you will find a variety of hotels, restaurants, cafes, shops, children's play areas, separate cycle and pedestrian walk
Is Abu Dhabi a family-friendly destination?
Most of the upmarket hotels in Abu Dhabi were constructed with families firmly in mind, making it a great place to travel with children. Many of the hotels have more than two pools, with at least one designed for kids and offer a wide range of water and land-based recreational facilities for the whole family.
When is Ramadan?
The date of Ramadan changes each year and is determined by the moon's cycle. Special committees decide the precise dates of Ramadan and they are usually not announced very far in advance1 so if you want to find out make sure you check with a travel advisor before booking your holiday. Ramadan lasts for approximately 29 to 30 days each year.
Is it safe to travel outside the hotel?
Abu Dhabi is considered to be a safe place to travel around, although it's wise to take the same precautions you would when you're visiting any foreign country. Make sure you only use licensed taxis or public transport, while women should take care when travelling alone.
Abu Dhabi Holidays Browse all
Experience the spectacular and beautiful Intercontinental Abu Dhabi
- Upgrade to All Inclusive package! Call us now!
- Choose from a huge variety of prized buzzing restaurants overlooking the water
- A landmark hotel, prized for its white sandy beach, marina and variety of restaurants
Enjoy 5 star luxury in the city centre, laze on the hotel's private beach and pop downstairs to the capital's most renowned shopping mall, the Abu Dhabi Mall.
- Ranked within the Top 10 Abu Dhabi Hotels on Tripadvisor
- Sitting in the heart of Abu Dhabi next to the iconic Abu Dhabi Mall
- 9 Restaurants and 2 Cafes offering award-winning cuisine plus Zen the Spa for various treatments
Start off at Al Raha Beach with plenty of shopping options nearby followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Resort
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
Experience the excitement of Yas island matched with the charm and opulence of Atlantis The Palm Dubai
- Impeccable service and amenities come as standard
- Discover the amazing Ferrari world and Yas Waterworld at Yas Island
- A fun-packed adventure at the Wild Wadi water park on the palm
Unwind and remove all the stresses of modern life with this amazing twin destination offer
- Enjoy a wide range of flavours and exoctic meal with the onsite restaurants
- Loose yourself in the Sheraton Spa and benefit from a plethora of treatments
- Visit the iconic and famous Taj Mahal
Discover two destination in one unforgettable holiday
- Experience stunning views over the pure white sands and Clear blue ocean with your nearest and dearest
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit
- The award winning Hilton Abu Dhabi is conveniently located in the heart of the city, 30 minutes from the airport and close to the marina shopping mall. The hotel has a private beach club so guests have the best of all worlds.
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Spend five fairy tale days in the capital of the United Arab Emirates enjoying sun and sand with first-class shopping...
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
India is one of the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the colourful and vibrant cities...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...
Come and experience the dreamlike beauty of the stunning Radisson Blu on the coast of the famous Yas Island. With the...
Located in the heart of Abu Dhabi, with stunning views of the Arabian Gulf and the breath-taking Presidential Palace,...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi NewsBrowse all Abu Dhabi News
Rotana Hotels and Resorts is celebrating the soft launch of the Saadiyat Rotana Resort & Villas in Abu Dhabi. The official opening will take place in September this year, but guests are being welcomed to the five-star property which has 340 guest rooms, suites and villas, plus seven dining venues, a kids' club, a fitness centre, spa, tennis courts and swimming pools.
The first Warner Bros.-branded indoor theme park is scheduled to open this summer in the United Arab Emirates. The Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi will feature six lands from DC's famous comic books and films. These will include Metropolis, Gotham City, Cartoon Junction, Bedrock, Dynamite Gulch, and Warner Bros. Plaza. Visitors will be able to enjoy fun rides and attractions, themed restaurants and gift shops.
Rotana has announced the opening of the new Pearl Rotana Abu Dhabi hotel. Located in the Capital Business Centre business district in Abu Dhabi, the luxury hotel has 315 guest rooms and suites with views of the Arabian Gulf. Facilities include a rooftop swimming pool, spa treatment rooms, a Bodylines fitness and wellness club, ad five restaurants and bars serving international cuisine.