Abu Dhabi - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- Is Abu Dhabi a family-friendly destination?
- When is Ramadan?
- Is it safe to travel outside the hotel?
When is the best time to go?
The climate in Abu Dhabi is sub-tropical and arid, with sunshine and little rain for most of the year. November to April is considered to be the most pleasant time to visit in terms of weather, with cooler temperatures of around 24 degrees C during the day and 13 degrees C overnight. During the summer, temperatures can be as high as 42 degrees C.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens can obtain a free 30-day visa on arrival at Abu Dhabi International Airport. If you wish to stay longer, you need to visit an immigration office to obtain an extension and pay the relevant fee
How can I get there?
There are direct flights from London Heathrow and Manchester airports to Abu Dhabi International Airport, with Etihad Airways operating from both cities and British Airways offering flights from London. The flight time from London is approximately seven hours and 45 minutes, while from Manchester it is seven hours and 55 minutes.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The UAE dirham is the local currency, with one dirham made up of 100 fils. You can exchange foreign currency in banks, licensed exchange offices and some hotels once you arrive - you'll need to have your passport with you. Debit and credit cards are widely accepted in Abu Dhabi, although small shops and souks may only accept cash.
What is there to see and do?
Abu Dhabi has a wide variety of attractions, from high-end shopping malls and championship-standard golf courses to theme parks and heritage sites, such as the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. You can also take a camel safari into the desert to see the amazing sand dunes or visit the oasis city of Al Ain. Corniche Beach is a popular seaside promenade stretching over 8Km, along which you will find a variety of hotels, restaurants, cafes, shops, children's play areas, separate cycle and pedestrian walk
Is Abu Dhabi a family-friendly destination?
Most of the upmarket hotels in Abu Dhabi were constructed with families firmly in mind, making it a great place to travel with children. Many of the hotels have more than two pools, with at least one designed for kids and offer a wide range of water and land-based recreational facilities for the whole family.
When is Ramadan?
The date of Ramadan changes each year and is determined by the moon's cycle. Special committees decide the precise dates of Ramadan and they are usually not announced very far in advance1 so if you want to find out make sure you check with a travel advisor before booking your holiday. Ramadan lasts for approximately 29 to 30 days each year.
Is it safe to travel outside the hotel?
Abu Dhabi is considered to be a safe place to travel around, although it's wise to take the same precautions you would when you're visiting any foreign country. Make sure you only use licensed taxis or public transport, while women should take care when travelling alone.
Abu Dhabi Holidays Browse all
Combine stunning luxury with the entertainment attractions on Yas Island
- Free shuttle service to all attractions on Yas Island
- Click through and upgrade to a room including access to Ferrari World or Yas Waterworld inclusive
- free room upgrade to the next category - book before 31st October 2016
For the ultimate golf experience in Abu Dhabi, stay at a luxurious hotel with all the trimmings that sits right next to a championship golf course
- Enjoy golf at the 18-Hole championship Yas Links Golf Course
- A few minutes' walk from the exciting Yas Waterworld & Yas Island Beach
- Upgrade and experience Ferrari World - The largest indoor and first theme park on Yas Island
- Free Half Board Included in this amazing offer
Enjoy a special break in Abu Dhabi, that comes complete with great shopping, a fabulous beach and spa club, and all at an affordable price.
- Free Beach Access for all to enjoy
- Facilities includes Swimming pool, tennis courts and selection of watersports
- A selection of restaurants and bars including a Jazz Bar
Indulge yourself in endless luxury at the fabulous Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi Grand Canal
- fabulous location in the heart of Abu Dhabi with great views of Abu Dhabi's landmark the mosque
- one of the best kids clubs in Abu Dhabi
- amazing culinary experience with 10 restaurants to choose from
Experience the excitiment of Yas island matched with the charm and opulence of Atlantis The Palm Dubai
- A fun packed adventure at the Wild Wadi water park on the palm
- The amazing Ferarri world at Yas island
- Impecable service and amenities come as standard
Start off at Al Raha Beach with plenty of shopping options nearby followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Camp
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Get away from all your concerns and enjoy a tranquil 4-day stay at the luxurious Beach Rotana Hotel & Towers whilst you...
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Set along the Links Championship Golf Course on Yas Island, this luxurious hotel features a 30 yards outdoor pool with...
The InterContinental Hotel is perfectly located for your Abu Dhabi holiday - right by the beach, adjacent to the marina...
Offering superb accommodation with a wide range of facilities, Yas Island Rotana is conveniently located on the...
The Beach Rotana Hotel is set on a pristine stretch of white beach on the shores of the Arabian Sea. Located in the...
Facing the Lulu Island and the Arabian Gulf, the stunning Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche is located in the one of the most...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...
Revel in the sun-drenched charms of the UAE's capital as you enjoy four unforgettable days in the heart of the Middle...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Related articles for Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi NewsBrowse all Abu Dhabi News
Marriott International has launched its first hotel in Abu Dhabi with Marriott Executive Apartments, with the opening of Marriott Hotel Downtown Abu Dhabi last week. Located next to the Al Wahda Mall, the new hotel has 315 guest rooms and suites, and facilities include the JW Steakhouse and two-level Velocity restaurant, a luxury spa and a rooftop swimming pool and bar.
Compared to the first semester of 2015, Abu Dhabi Airport has seen a 6.6 per cent increase in passenger traffic this year. Flights to and from India have favoured this growth as Terminal 1, which offers regular trips to Bombay, is precisely the one boasting the most arrivals and departures.
The new Abu Dhabi Hotel Market Summary report by the JLL Research firm has revealed that approximately 2.400 new hotel rooms will open in Abu Dhabi in 2016. In the first quarter of this year, 200 rooms opened when Four Seasons on Al Maryah Island opened in the capital United Arab Emirate in May, and an additional 2,200 guest rooms will open by the end of the year.