Bellanwila Birds Sanctuary - Sri Lanka's Treasures
Duration: Half Day
The beautiful island of Sri Lanka is undoubtedly a birdwatcher’s paradise, boasting an incredible diversity of endemic and migrant bird species. Over 430 species have been recorded here, all of which thrive amongst many diverse ecosystems which range from wet and dry zones, rainforest, jungle, hill country, lowlands, lakes, lagoons, rivers and coastline. This tour will reveal some of Sri Lanka’s most treasured birds in the Bellanwila-Attidiya Bird Sanctuary, a precious wildlife reserve located on the edge of the city of Colombo.
The Bellanwila-Attidiya Bird Sanctuary is the remaining fragment of an extensive marshland that once existed around Colombo. Although it may not be the most beautiful nature reserve in Sri Lanka, it is regarded as one of the country’s premier wildlife spots, boasting a wonderful variety of birds, mammals and butterflies to observe. Comprising fresh water marshes and a natural and man-made canal system, this urban wetland is famous for its abundant bird life. Walking along the edge of the canals and marshlands will enable you to observe a myriad of aquatic birds.
Over 150 species have been recorded here, including the Indian Darter, Pied Kingfisher, Stork-billed Kingfisher, White-breasted Waterhen, Little Cormorant, Yellow Bittern, Indian Pond Heron, Purple Herons, Little Egrets, Cattle Egrets, Lesser Whistling Teal, Black-headed Ibis, Glossy Ibis, Common Moorhen, Pheasant-tailed Jacana, Brown-headed Barbet, Purple-rumped Sunbird, Loten's Sunbird and many, many more. Bird watching is rewarding throughout the year in Sri Lanka, although the months of September and April are a great time to visit, when thousands of northern winter migrants arrive on the island from as far away as Siberia.
You will also have the option of expanding your tour to the nearby Bolgoda Lake, one of the largest and most beautiful natural lakes in Sri Lanka. After being seriously threatened by industrial pollution, rehabilitation and conservation steps have been taken by the government and other environmental organisations to protect Bolgoda Lake. Fortunately, this area still boasts some of the richest biodiversity on the island. Nature lovers can spot many aquatic birds, reptiles and marine life amongst the lush mangroves and freshwater channels. One of the best ways to do this is via canoe.
Another option on the tour is a visit to the stunning Mount Lavinia Beach. Whichever area you explore during your holiday in Sri Lanka, you can guarantee seeing some of the most beautiful scenery and wildlife on the island.
Sri Lanka Holidays Browse all
Combine a beach holiday with a taste of real Sri Lanka at Avani Kalutara Resort and a contemporary city of Dubai
Soak up the sunshine on a palm beach surrounded by lush gardens in Sri Lanka and after explore Dubai during your stay ay DoubleTree by Hilton Al Barsha
- Enjoy an array of activities at Avani Kalutara Resort including table tennis, yoga classes, volleyball, and water polo
- Take advantage of a complimentary shuttle service from DoubleTree by Hilton Al Barsha to Jumeirah Beach and The Mall of Emirates
- Benefit from a convenient location of the Dubai hotel - only 30 minutes away from Dubai Airport and 15 minutes from business areas and Dubai golf courses
Total Sri Lankan luxury matched with Dubai's excitment and modernity
- Asiana Hotel's Beauty Centre offers you an indulgent experience with the utmost style and elegance
- Adding to Dubai's fast paced nightlife is the spectacular Boracay Nightclub
- A wonderful example of Sri Lankan design amidst a tropical paradise
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Arouse your senses in the Indian Ocean with this amazing double Island getaway
- Follow the thousands of local pilgrims and visit the awe inspiring Kalutara Temple - the only Buddhist shrine in the world which is completely hollow inside
- Sunrise and sunset fishing giving you the most stunning views over the Indian Ocean
- Tholhufushi Robinson Excursion , offering a real-life Robinson Crusoe adventure on a deserted island
Surround yourself with ancient ruins and futuristic skyscrapers with a holiday to Sri Lanka and Dubai.
Combine the historical and cultural journey of a lifetime with a stopover in one of the most futuristic and flashy cities in the world.
- A visit to one of the world’s most futuristic, indulgent and snazzy cities in the world – Dubai.
- Discover lush nature reserves, amazing temples, ancient ruins, Heritage sites and an overwhelming culture with a tour of one of the most intriguing and enchanting destinations in the world – Sri Lanka.
- Luxurious 4 & 5 star accommodation throughout the holiday.
Sink into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean before a luxury getaway break to Sri Lanka
- Treat yourself to a revitalizing message at the spa or plunge into the island’s longest swimming pool in Sri Lanka
- Fabulous dining and nightlife and a wide range of watersports and recreation
- Complimentary WiFi in all rooms and selected public areas in the Paradise Island
With the most strikingly beautiful of settings, amongst green coconut groves and facing the golden sands just at the...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
This resort is spread across two acres of lush coconut groves and tropical gardens by the golden sands of Kalutura...
Jetwing Beach Resort sits beside a beautiful sun kissed stretch of beach, just outside the coastal town of Negombo. The...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka NewsBrowse all Sri Lanka News
The owners of Resplendent Ceylon Hotels and Resorts have revealed details of their latest venture in Sri Lanka. The group will open the Wild Coasted Tented Lodge in November, 2017 which will cater for nature and wildlife enthusiasts. The eco lodge is located on a pristine beach on the outskirts of the Yala National Park, and boasts 28 tented suites with high vaulted ceilings.
Club Med recently announced plans to locate an all-inclusive resort on the island of Sri Lanka. The resort, to be called Club Med Ceylon, is expected to open in 2019 and will feature 327 rooms. Club Med, which is known throughout the world as a premier holiday destination, will likely increase the visibility of Sri Lanka as a holiday spot.
The Shangri-La Hotel Colombo in Sri Lanka is scheduled to open to guests this winter, in time for Christmas. The luxury hotel will be Shangri-La’s second property on the island, and it will have 500 guest rooms and suites, and 41 serviced apartments. Located on ten acres of land along the Galle face promenade, the hotel will offer panoramic views of the Indian Ocean.