A practical guide to Mauritius
National holidays and celebrations
With a population of diverse ethnicities, Mauritius has a jam-packed calendar of celebrations. If you're not sure when is the best time to go, do let us know and we can give you advice on when to go to get the best experience in Mauritius.
- New Year: 1st January.
- Thaipoosam Cavadee: Between January and February. A Hindu festival with fire-walking and sword climbing performances.
- Chinese New Year: Between late January and early February.
- Abolition of Slavery: 1st February.
- National Day: 12th March. Independence Day for Mauritians.
- Ougadi: Dates vary each year. A Hindu festival celebrating the New Year.
- Labour Day: 1st May.
- Assumption of the Blessed Virgin: 15th August. Celebrated during even years only.
- Eid al Fitr: Between October and November. Muslim celebration marking the end of Ramadan.
- Ganesh Chaturthi: Between August and September, or on the fourth day of the lunar month. This is a Hindu celebration.
- Diwali: September. Hindu celebration also known as the "Festival of Lights".
- All Saints Day: 1st November. Only celebrated during odd years.
- Arrival of Indentured Labourers: 2nd November.
- Christmas: 25th December.
The local currency is the Mauritius rupee (R or MUR)
- For the best exchange rates, bring British pounds to exchange on arrival.
- ATMs give a good rate of exchange and accept most credit and debit cards.
- Private moneychangers often give better rates than banks and offer longer opening hours.
Mauritian food is a fusion of Chinese, European, Indian and Creole influences, and this combination of cuisines can often be experienced in the same meal. Expect a variation on your favourite dishes; Indian curries are given a Mauritian spin with distinctive local flavours, and Chinese and Asian cuisine is served with a delectable Mauritian twist.
While most hotels feature Mauritian dishes as well as international foods, the most authentic Mauritian cuisine is often best experienced at local restaurants – which we highly recommend.
Mauritius enjoys a year round, mild tropical maritime climate, with warm temperatures that are often cooled by gentle breezes.
- The hot, humid summer runs from December to April, with average temperatures between 25°C and 33 °C in coastal areas and around five degrees cooler on the inland plateau.
- The warm, dry winter runs from May to November and is a popular time to visit. Temperatures rarely drop below 21°C along the coast and 15°C on the inland plateau.
Mauritius Holidays Browse all
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
An unrivalled stay where you will be surrounded by its picturesque coastline and lush greenery
- Your own private sandy beach on your doorstep
- Exquisite views wherever you look - from the vibrant green mountains to the glittering Indian Ocean
- Perfect blend of natural beauty and fresh, eye-catching designs
Bring the kids along or come with your partner for a romantically secluded hideaway in a resort that excels at providing special separate spaces for adults and families
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Zilwa offers two experiences in one with a designated adults-only area and a separate family section
- Experience the sunrise boat trip, BBQ on the beach and treasure hunts for the little ones
Set amidst a landscape of lush vegetation, mountains and the clear waters of the Indian Ocean, the Heritage Awali oozes luxury and offers first-class service
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy attentive all-inclusive service in a unique setting in Bel Ombre with its own nature reserve
- Get a complimentary round of golf per day and a free spa treatment per stay
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
The Ambre Hotel is one exclusive property that will enthral travellers and boasts uninterrupted views of the tropical...
Mauritius is one of the world's most sought-after holiday destinations and you'll find out why as soon as you arrive in...
Enjoy the island paradise of Mauritius during an 8-day stay at the luxurious Long Beach. Occupying the longest stretch...
Spend seven magical days in the beautiful Mauritius, enjoying its Indian Ocean coastline. The Heritage Awali gives you a...
Featuring exclusive designs by Kenzo Takada the radiant oasis of Sofitel So Mauritius Bel Ombre has been enhanced by...
The first Sofitel SO brand in the world is a luxury Eco resort, set in an oasis of nature in the south of Mauritius,...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...
When you're looking for the perfect holiday, it's nice to have some assurances. As well as being a three star plus...
Make Mauritius your next holiday and revel in the tropical sun while lounging on sugary white sands and drinking in the...
With a private beachfront in the beautifully landscaped resort of Bel Ombre, Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort provides...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Mauritius
Mauritius NewsBrowse all Mauritius News
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority has revealed that the nation recorded a six percent increase in visitor arrivals from the UK in 2017, compared to the previous year. The Indian Ocean island nation received a five percent rise in global travellers during this period. This year, Mauritius marks its 50th anniversary of independence and will be hosting a series of events throughout the year to celebrate the occasion.
The Heritage le Telfair hotel in Mauritius has undergone three months of renovations and has been rebranded as the Heritage Le Telfair Golf and Wellness Resort. The refurbished resort now has rooms and suites with dedicated butlers, and redesigned facilities including the Chateau de Bel Ombre dining venue, a new wine cellar and outdoor deck, and a new wellness pavilion for yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates.
High-end beach resort Heritage Le Telfair on the south coast of Mauritius has rebranded as Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Wellness Resort, reopening recently with a new look, ultra-luxury facilities and bespoke wellness programmes for guests.