A practical guide to Mauritius
National holidays and celebrations
With a population of diverse ethnicities, Mauritius has a jam-packed calendar of celebrations. If you're not sure when is the best time to go, do let us know and we can give you advice on when to go to get the best experience in Mauritius.
- New Year: 1st January.
- Thaipoosam Cavadee: Between January and February. A Hindu festival with fire-walking and sword climbing performances.
- Chinese New Year: Between late January and early February.
- Abolition of Slavery: 1st February.
- National Day: 12th March. Independence Day for Mauritians.
- Ougadi: Dates vary each year. A Hindu festival celebrating the New Year.
- Labour Day: 1st May.
- Assumption of the Blessed Virgin: 15th August. Celebrated during even years only.
- Eid al Fitr: Between October and November. Muslim celebration marking the end of Ramadan.
- Ganesh Chaturthi: Between August and September, or on the fourth day of the lunar month. This is a Hindu celebration.
- Diwali: September. Hindu celebration also known as the "Festival of Lights".
- All Saints Day: 1st November. Only celebrated during odd years.
- Arrival of Indentured Labourers: 2nd November.
- Christmas: 25th December.
The local currency is the Mauritius rupee (R or MUR)
- For the best exchange rates, bring British pounds to exchange on arrival.
- ATMs give a good rate of exchange and accept most credit and debit cards.
- Private moneychangers often give better rates than banks and offer longer opening hours.
Mauritian food is a fusion of Chinese, European, Indian and Creole influences, and this combination of cuisines can often be experienced in the same meal. Expect a variation on your favourite dishes; Indian curries are given a Mauritian spin with distinctive local flavours, and Chinese and Asian cuisine is served with a delectable Mauritian twist.
While most hotels feature Mauritian dishes as well as international foods, the most authentic Mauritian cuisine is often best experienced at local restaurants – which we highly recommend.
Mauritius enjoys a year round, mild tropical maritime climate, with warm temperatures that are often cooled by gentle breezes.
- The hot, humid summer runs from December to April, with average temperatures between 25°C and 33 °C in coastal areas and around five degrees cooler on the inland plateau.
- The warm, dry winter runs from May to November and is a popular time to visit. Temperatures rarely drop below 21°C along the coast and 15°C on the inland plateau.
Mauritius Holidays Browse all
Live and breathe the real Mauritius for a week in an intimate boutique hotel set by clear turquoise waters and powdery-soft sands, with great facilities for everyone in the family.
- Features an excellent Children's Club offering great activities for the young ones
- Children stay free when sharing with parents
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
With three beautiful beaches to choose from, this one-of-a-kind retreat offers bespoke experiences with a soothing and rejuvenating Feng Shui philosophy
- Relax at the spa - providing an combination experience of nutrition, yoga, spa treatments & retreats
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling, kayaking, water skiing, glass-bottom boat trips or some unique experience such as cinema screenings on the beach, secret bar or message in a bottle with hidden surprises
luxury resort ideal for both couples and families
- Click through for our special Honeymoon Offers
- Located on the Bel Ombre's beach the resort is offering own nature reserve to explore
- Guests can benefit from a daily free green fees, mini bar in each room, or the fabulous spa treatments including one free 45-minute spa treatment per person per stay
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
The beauty of the East coast of Mauritius is without question, and all can be enjoyed at Laguna Beach Hotel & Spa, set...
One of the newest and most beautiful hotels to be gracing the sunkissed eastern shore of Mauritius in Palmar, the Ambre...
Prepare to be blown away by the unparalleled beauty of the north eastern coast of Mauritius as you spend eight days on...
Spend seven magical days in the beautiful Mauritius, enjoying its Indian Ocean coastline. The Heritage Awali gives you a...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...
Le Preskil Beach Resort is a wonderful combination of traditional Creole architecture, lush tropical gardens, and three...
Make Mauritius your next holiday and revel in the tropical sun while lounging on sugary white sands and drinking in the...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Mauritius
Mauritius NewsBrowse all Mauritius News
High-end beach resort Heritage Le Telfair on the south coast of Mauritius has rebranded as Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Wellness Resort, reopening recently with a new look, ultra-luxury facilities and bespoke wellness programmes for guests.
Luxury Mauritian hotel Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort and Spa has revealed a new look after an extensive renovation including completely redesigned rooms and revamped facilities. As well as new interiors, the family-friendly resort on Mauritius’ historic La Pointe aux Canonniers peninsula has expanded its spa.
The Shangri-La Le Touessrok Resort & Spa Mauritius has announced a special collaboration with the property’s former owner and chef Jacqueline Dalais. The resort is named after the island of Touessrok in Brittany, France, and to celebrate its heritage a new five-course menu has been launched which reinvents the traditional dishes Jacqueline Dalais used to serve to her special guests, including Princess Anne.