Mahebourg Tour and Naval Museum Visit
Duration: Half Day
Spend a day exploring the historical fishing village of Mahébourg during your holiday in Mauritius. This diverse tour will enable you to see the sights, meet the friendly local people and learn about the rich history of the island through exhibits in the Naval Museum.
Situated on the south-eastern coast of Mauritius, Mahébourg is believed to be the place where the founders of the colonial empire first set foot on the island. The town was originally built by the Dutch during their brief period of colonisation here, but was later named after the famous French governor Mahé de La Bourdonnais, who established Mauritius as a part of the French colonial empire.
Mahébourg is one of the main fishing villages in Mauritius and the busiest town in the Grand Port district, where all the local trade takes place. Over the years, Mahébourg’s status has dramatically changed from a major slave market into a popular tourist spot. The village has fortunately managed to keep its historical and cultural identity, however, and is as colourful and authentic as any typical Mauritian coastal town. Offering a mix of the old and new, there is something distinctly charming about the area and you will come across people from all nationalities and backgrounds.
The airport is only 15 minutes away and beautiful beaches can be found nearby. The new waterfront development will also put this beautiful location on the map, making it the main tourist resort on the South Coast in the near future. For now, Mahébourg remains a relatively peaceful coastal village, except on busy market days, and is a delight to explore.
On this tour we will also visit the Naval Museum, which is housed in a beautiful Creole mansion dating back to the 18th century. Interesting exhibits will guide you through different phases of Mauritian history, and separate rooms have been dedicated to the Dutch, French and the British colonial periods.
Learn about the history of the colonial empire and see relics from the great naval Battle of Grand Port, fought between the French and the English over the possession of the island in 1810. Objects from shipwrecks along the Mauritian coast are showcased here, and the museum also displays a preserved Mauritian village settlement, where visitors can gain a glimpse of the typical lifestyle of the rural island inhabitants.
This memorable tour will give you a true insight into the Mauritian way of life – both past and present.
Mauritius Holidays Browse all
Discover Dubai's many urban pleasures and explore the coastal beauty of western Mauritius
- The only revolving restaurant in Dubai, Al Dawaar is located on the 25th floor of the hotel with spectacular views of the blue Gulf waters, the Creek and the amazing skyline of Dubai.
- The Perfect location of Anelia Beach Resort will let you enjoy Mauritius breathtaking sea views
- Take advantage of the tennis courts, beach volley ball and many indoor games at Anelia Beach Resort
Enjoy the best of both worlds - tranquil Mauritius at Recif Atitudein combined with vibrant and never sleeping Dubai
Admire beautiful Pointe aux Piments sunsets and relax on a white sandy beach in the friendly Récif Attitude hotel and explore the wonders of Dubai including one of the most famous shopping malls - The Mall of the Emirates
- Early Check in and Late Check out Guaranteed along with Dine Around at Recif Attitude
- The Mall of the Emirates is just few minutes walk away from the Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha
- Recif Attitude, an adults only hotel, is a perfect choice for couples, friends or newly-weds to relax and unwind in its calm and friendly atmosphere
Discover two different sides of the world in one unique escape with LUX* Grand Gaube and Doubletree by Hilton al Barsha
The ideal places to create a lifetime of memories in Mauritius and Dubai
- Relax at Lux* Me Spa & Fitness - Providing an combination experience of Nutrition, Yoga, Spa Treatments & Retreats
- Combine a relaxing and romantic stay in Mauritius with a fun and lively stop in Dubai
- Double Tree Hilton only a short walk to one of the biggest malls in Dubai Mall of the Emirates
Exotic Mauriitus coupled with the dazzling city of Dubai with LUX* Grand Gaube and Pullman Jumeirah Lakes Towers
Stay at the romantic hideway LUX* Grand Gaube followed by glamorous Dubai
- Staying at LUX* Grande Gaube will make your holiday memorable with the hidden treasures they have to offer you during your stay
- Pullman Jumeirah is set within a great location just a few minutes walk to the marina and close by to the metro for you to explore Dubai
- Some of the treasures are you may stumble on a secret bar where you can make your own cocktail, enjoy a classic film at the Cinema on the beach these are only a few to mention
Relax and Unwind on the beautiful sandy beaches of Mauritius followed by the duty free shopping in Dubai
- All inclusive meals, drinks and afternoon team included
- Enjoy a spa at the seven colour spa suite at the Palmar Resort
- Your hotel in Dubai is close to the shopping malls offer free shuttle bus and only a short distance to Jumeirah Beach
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Veranda Palmar Beach Resort is set in lush tropical gardens that lead down to an endless stretch of white sandy beach on...
Ideally located on the West coast of Mauritius in the village of Flic en Flac and only 2 km from the restaurants, casino...
Beautifully perched on Mauritius' northern coast and perfectly positioned right next to the fishermen’s village of...
Combine an enchanting beach break in idyllic Mauritius with a faster-paced Middle Eastern city exuding glamour and style...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Lux* Grand Gaube, lies on a sheltered private cove on the north-east coast of Mauritius, not far from Grand Baie. This...
Merville Beach - Grand Baie sits on a sheltered, palm fringed bay on the north coast of Mauritius. This well established...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adult only hotel, decorated in bright and...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Mauritius
Mauritius NewsBrowse all Mauritius News
Mauritius introduces new "Golfing Mauritius Pass" to golf-loving holidaymakers Keen golfers planning a Mauritius holiday will now be able to benefit from the newly-launched "Golfing Mauritius Pass", a ticket enabling them to enjoy a minimum of two rounds at all of Mauritius' nine championship 18-hole courses.
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority has announced that the island nation received an 11 per cent increase in international visitors in 2016. According to the Tourism Authority, the idyllic island in the Indian Ocean received 1.28 million tourists last year, beating the 1.15 million recorded in 2015. There was also a nine per cent increase in travellers from the United Kingdom.
Bernhard Haechler has been appointed as the new General Manager of Shangri-La's Le Touessrok Resort & Spa in Mauritius. Haechler has dual Swiss and South African nationality, and he brings more than 20 years of senior management level experience and expertise to the role. He will be responsible for overseeing operations and teams at the 200-room luxury hotel.