Mahebourg Tour and Naval Museum Visit
Duration: Half Day
Spend a day exploring the historical fishing village of Mahébourg during your holiday in Mauritius. This diverse tour will enable you to see the sights, meet the friendly local people and learn about the rich history of the island through exhibits in the Naval Museum.
Situated on the south-eastern coast of Mauritius, Mahébourg is believed to be the place where the founders of the colonial empire first set foot on the island. The town was originally built by the Dutch during their brief period of colonisation here, but was later named after the famous French governor Mahé de La Bourdonnais, who established Mauritius as a part of the French colonial empire.
Mahébourg is one of the main fishing villages in Mauritius and the busiest town in the Grand Port district, where all the local trade takes place. Over the years, Mahébourg’s status has dramatically changed from a major slave market into a popular tourist spot. The village has fortunately managed to keep its historical and cultural identity, however, and is as colourful and authentic as any typical Mauritian coastal town. Offering a mix of the old and new, there is something distinctly charming about the area and you will come across people from all nationalities and backgrounds.
The airport is only 15 minutes away and beautiful beaches can be found nearby. The new waterfront development will also put this beautiful location on the map, making it the main tourist resort on the South Coast in the near future. For now, Mahébourg remains a relatively peaceful coastal village, except on busy market days, and is a delight to explore.
On this tour we will also visit the Naval Museum, which is housed in a beautiful Creole mansion dating back to the 18th century. Interesting exhibits will guide you through different phases of Mauritian history, and separate rooms have been dedicated to the Dutch, French and the British colonial periods.
Learn about the history of the colonial empire and see relics from the great naval Battle of Grand Port, fought between the French and the English over the possession of the island in 1810. Objects from shipwrecks along the Mauritian coast are showcased here, and the museum also displays a preserved Mauritian village settlement, where visitors can gain a glimpse of the typical lifestyle of the rural island inhabitants.
This memorable tour will give you a true insight into the Mauritian way of life – both past and present.
Mauritius Holidays Browse all
Combine the peaceful luxury of Mauritius with the opulent excitement of Dubai
- Young travellers are invited to ignite their imagination at Le Méridien Family Kids Club
- Enjoy a therapeutic steam bath or relaxing massage in the on-site Spa in Dubai
- Enjoy a plethora of complimentary water activities in Mauritius
Combine a relaxing break in the heart of the Indian Ocean at outrigger mauritius resort and spa with a shopping trip in Dubai
The two resorts offer the best of both worlds set in idyllic locations whether you chose a relaxing or more active holiday, with amazing activities and facilities to match
- The Outrigger Resort offers amazing facilities with three swimming pools, a vast array of sports on offer and The Navasana Spa providing an opportunity to relax and unwind
- The Asiana offer a unique experience with the best in oriental hospitality with added Arabian luxury with a clam and inviting atmosphere
- An idyllic holiday blend - the tropical island of Mauritius and the modern city of Dubai
Lap up the mesmerising coastal beauty of western Mauritius and then explore Dubai - a city of wonders
Discover and Experience the best of both worlds Mauritius and Dubai
- Take advantage of the tennis courts, beach volley ball and many indoor games at Anelia Beach Resort
- Dubai stay at a TripAdvisor Winner with a Certificate of Excellence hotel
- The Perfect location of Anelia Beach Resort will let you enjoy Mauritius breathtaking sea views
Combine a relaxing Mauritius holiday at sofitel so mauritius bel ombre and Arabian luxury in exciting Dubai
Unwind and relax in the beautiful tropical paradise that is Mauritius before experiencing the many modern wonders of magical Dubai .
- Upgrade to Half board for breakfast and dinner , local drinks included soft drink, beer and rum, tea/coffee and water. drinks during dinner
- Enjoy 3nts in the vibrant city of Dubai enjoying duty free shopping
- Sofitel So Mauritius Lushury Room includes, 24 hr - butler service private garden with open air bathtub, patio and outdoor shower and complimentary WIFI
Ideal Combination of Sea, Sand and Sights at Zilwa Attitude Hotel and Doubletree by Hilton al Barsha
- Experience traditional Mauritius with Zilwa Atittude Hotel being typical of Mauritian homes and paying tribute to local heritage
- Great culinary adventures await with live cooking restaurants, barbecues, traditional Indian and Thai cuisine just some of the restaurants available
- Many exquisite beaches including four beaches on two private islands in Mauritius and the famous Jumeirah Beach in Dubai
Discover the beauty of two different destinations
- Escape from daily stresses and routine and enjoy a relaxing Spa treatment in Dubai
- Intercontinental Mauritius is within 15-min drive from the main tourist region of Grand Baie and 50-min drive from Plaisance International Airport
- Unlimited recreation opportunities and world-class dinning facilities at Intercontinental Mauritius
Ideally located on the West coast of Mauritius in the village of Flic en Flac and only 2 km from the restaurants, casino...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Beautifully perched on Mauritius' northern coast and perfectly positioned right next to the fishermen’s village of...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Combine an enchanting beach break in idyllic Mauritius with a faster-paced Middle Eastern city exuding glamour and style...
The first Sofitel SO brand in the world is a luxury Eco resort, set in an oasis of nature in the south of Mauritius,...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adult only hotel, decorated in bright and...
Lux* Grand Gaube, lies on a sheltered private cove on the north-east coast of Mauritius, not far from Grand Baie. This...
Merville Beach - Grand Baie sits on a sheltered, palm fringed bay on the north coast of Mauritius. This well established...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Related articles for Mauritius
Mauritius NewsBrowse all Mauritius News
Mauritius introduces new "Golfing Mauritius Pass" to golf-loving holidaymakers Keen golfers planning a Mauritius holiday will now be able to benefit from the newly-launched "Golfing Mauritius Pass", a ticket enabling them to enjoy a minimum of two rounds at all of Mauritius' nine championship 18-hole courses.
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority has announced that the island nation received an 11 per cent increase in international visitors in 2016. According to the Tourism Authority, the idyllic island in the Indian Ocean received 1.28 million tourists last year, beating the 1.15 million recorded in 2015. There was also a nine per cent increase in travellers from the United Kingdom.
Bernhard Haechler has been appointed as the new General Manager of Shangri-La's Le Touessrok Resort & Spa in Mauritius. Haechler has dual Swiss and South African nationality, and he brings more than 20 years of senior management level experience and expertise to the role. He will be responsible for overseeing operations and teams at the 200-room luxury hotel.