Taste of Mauritius
Duration: Half Day
Immerse yourself in the real Mauritius’ on this enriching cultural tour, which will give you a different perspective of the island besides its glorious white sandy beaches and turquoise lagoons. Explore the historic delights of Port Louis, the colourful capital of Mauritius and the largest city on the island, and enjoy duty-free shopping at Miraj. Le Caudan Waterfront and the world famous Pamplemousses Gardens are just some of the day’s additional highlights.
Your tour starts with a visit to the magnificent Pamplemousses Garden, the oldest botanical garden in the southern hemisphere and one of the most beautiful gardens in the world. Declared as a national treasure by the Mauritius Government, it was established over 300 years ago by the French governor François Mahé de La Bourdonnais, who had a great interest in botany and devoted his life to his garden.
Today, Pamplemousses Garden is more formally known as Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Gardens, in honour of the man who led the country to independence as the first Prime Minister of Mauritius. Besides boasting an amazing collection of native and exotic plants, including a dozen varieties of palms, the main attractions of the garden are the enormous Amazon water lilies, the Aldabra giant tortoises, Java deer and Gazebos. Nature lovers will be in their element.
We continue onwards to the vibrant city of Port Louis to see its major sights and attractions. Bordering the Indian Ocean and surrounded by mountains, this scenic capital is the main port on the island. The city is dominated by the 19th century La Citadelle (Fort Adelaide), which was built in the mountain foothills by the British to guard the harbour from attacks. From here you can gain spectacular panoramic views of the city, harbour and Champ de Mars, the oldest racecourse in the southern hemisphere.
Lose yourself in the hustle and bustle of the streets and boulevards as you explore some of the most scenic parts of the city. Port Louis boasts some impressive architecture, including 18th century French colonial buildings and historical monuments such as the beautiful Jummah Mosque, Saint James Cathedral and Government House, all of which date back to the 19th century.
Before the day ends, you will have free time to browse the shops at Miraj, which is renowned for its beautiful tapestries and traditional arts and crafts made by local artisans. You can also visit the lively Caudan Waterfront, where you will find a marina, duty-free shops, cinemas, restaurants, bars and casinos facing the Port Louis harbour. A wide selection of high quality products and jewellery is available here. Being duty-free, Mauritius is a shopper’s paradise.
Alternatively, you can choose an optional visit to the Blue Penny Museum, which houses an exquisite collection of historical art and documents belonging to the Mauritius Commercial Bank. The famous Mauritius 1847 "Post Office" stamps (two of the rarest stamps in the world) can be found here, as well as old nautical maps, paintings, sculptures, engravings and old documents that will enlighten you about Mauritius’ rich heritage. If you can drag yourself away from the beach during your holiday in Mauritius, this charming tour is a wonderful alternative.
Mauritius Holidays Browse all
Discover Dubai's many urban pleasures and explore the coastal beauty of western Mauritius
- The only revolving restaurant in Dubai, Al Dawaar is located on the 25th floor of the hotel with spectacular views of the blue Gulf waters, the Creek and the amazing skyline of Dubai.
- The Perfect location of Anelia Beach Resort will let you enjoy Mauritius breathtaking sea views
- Take advantage of the tennis courts, beach volley ball and many indoor games at Anelia Beach Resort
Discover two different sides of the world in one unique escape with LUX* Grand Gaube and Doubletree by Hilton al Barsha
The ideal places to create a lifetime of memories in Mauritius and Dubai
- Relax at Lux* Me Spa & Fitness - Providing an combination experience of Nutrition, Yoga, Spa Treatments & Retreats
- Combine a relaxing and romantic stay in Mauritius with a fun and lively stop in Dubai
- Double Tree Hilton only a short walk to one of the biggest malls in Dubai Mall of the Emirates
Combine a relaxing Mauritius holiday at sofitel so mauritius bel ombre and Arabian luxury in exciting Dubai
Unwind and relax in the beautiful tropical paradise that is Mauritius before experiencing the many modern wonders of magical Dubai .
- Upgrade to Half board for breakfast and dinner , local drinks included soft drink, beer and rum, tea/coffee and water. drinks during dinner
- Enjoy 3nts in the vibrant city of Dubai enjoying duty free shopping
- Sofitel So Mauritius Lushury Room includes, 24 hr - butler service private garden with open air bathtub, patio and outdoor shower and complimentary WIFI
Mauritius' longest beach, beside a snorkelling paradise, Longbeach is a modern wonder with mountain scenery and an urban twist and an elegant 5* Hotel offering luxurious accommodation in the heart of the City of Dubai
- Take some time to enjoy the spa treatments on offer at the Auris Plaza Spa with plenty of variety in methods
- Both hotels feature perfect location, great dining facilities and free Wi-FI. This twin-centre suites both couples and families
- Long Beach is a great place to gravitate to in the evenings, to eat from a selction of tastes from around the world
The perfect location to discover the beauty of Mauritius and experience the luxury of Dubai
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha offers luxurious accommodation as all rooms have an HD TV with Wi-fi as well as opulent bathrooms facilities to make it a comfortable stay
- Add an excursion package (a half-day Dubai city tour, aÂ desert safari and a ÂDhow cruise experience) for Â£99 more per person
- Enjoy a luxury and comfortable stay at Sofitel So in a Lushury Room including a private garden with open air bathtub
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Ideally located on the West coast of Mauritius in the village of Flic en Flac and only 2 km from the restaurants, casino...
Veranda Palmar Beach Resort is set in lush tropical gardens that lead down to an endless stretch of white sandy beach on...
Beautifully perched on Mauritius' northern coast and perfectly positioned right next to the fishermen’s village of...
Combine an enchanting beach break in idyllic Mauritius with a faster-paced Middle Eastern city exuding glamour and style...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Lux* Grand Gaube, lies on a sheltered private cove on the north-east coast of Mauritius, not far from Grand Baie. This...
Merville Beach - Grand Baie sits on a sheltered, palm fringed bay on the north coast of Mauritius. This well established...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adult only hotel, decorated in bright and...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Mauritius
Mauritius NewsBrowse all Mauritius News
Mauritius introduces new "Golfing Mauritius Pass" to golf-loving holidaymakers Keen golfers planning a Mauritius holiday will now be able to benefit from the newly-launched "Golfing Mauritius Pass", a ticket enabling them to enjoy a minimum of two rounds at all of Mauritius' nine championship 18-hole courses.
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority has announced that the island nation received an 11 per cent increase in international visitors in 2016. According to the Tourism Authority, the idyllic island in the Indian Ocean received 1.28 million tourists last year, beating the 1.15 million recorded in 2015. There was also a nine per cent increase in travellers from the United Kingdom.
Bernhard Haechler has been appointed as the new General Manager of Shangri-La's Le Touessrok Resort & Spa in Mauritius. Haechler has dual Swiss and South African nationality, and he brings more than 20 years of senior management level experience and expertise to the role. He will be responsible for overseeing operations and teams at the 200-room luxury hotel.