Cruise on Board Isla Mauritia
Duration: Half Day
Sailing along Mauritius’ spectacular coastline is an unforgettable experience, but sailing aboard the beautiful Isla Mauritia is something else. This historic, 19th century schooner will transport you back to the long ago days of pirates as you glide through the sparkling waters of the Indian Ocean along the beautiful North Coast of the island. Enjoy a relaxing day swimming, snorkeling and sunbathing in one of the most beautiful destinations in the world.
Built in 1852 by the famous Sollier’s shipbuilders in Majorca, Spain, Isla Mauritia is the last vessel of its class still active at sea today and is a wonderful example of nautical history. She was originally designed in the traditional style of the Balearic Island Schooners, which were used to transport freight between Europe and Africa. This was her role until she mysteriously sank in 1959.
Fortunately, this elegant ship was refloated two years later and lovingly restored to her original style with the help of old drawings and documents. She was registered as a private yacht at this time, and modern navigation systems and passenger facilities were installed. Isla Mauritia went on to sail between Europe and the Caribbean for many years, and she was even featured in several adventure films. She made her final voyage from Scandinavia to Mauritius between 1988 and 1989, sailing the world’s oceans as graciously as she did over 150 years ago. Today Isla Mauritia is used for full day, half day and sunset cruises for tourists visiting the island.
As soon as you step on board this magnificent ‘floating museum’, you will be in awe of her majestic beauty. Learn all about the fascinating history of the vessel as we set sail down Mauritius’ beautiful North Coast. Romantic images of sailing the seas centuries ago come to mind as we cruise gently across clear turquoise seas, listening to the sounds of the sails billowing in the wind.
Enjoy the relaxed, jovial atmosphere as your captain and crew entertain you on deck with their sailor songs, nautical costumes, music and dancing. It’s easy to pretend that you are a pirate for the day, scouring the sea and coastline for action and adventure. Pirates once used the island of Mauritius as a base from which to attack British vessels as they sailed along the shipping route to the East Indies.
We forge onwards down the northwest coast towards “Carpenters Bay”, where the ship will drop anchor. Take this opportunity to swim and snorkel in crystal clear lagoons or sunbathe on dazzling white-sand beaches. A delicious Creole picnic lunch and refreshments will be served on the beach, followed by traditional Sega dancing which is part of Mauritian Folklore. This exhilarating day at sea will undoubtedly be one of the highlights of your holiday in Mauritius.
Mauritius Holidays Browse all
Relax and Unwind on the beautiful sandy beaches of Mauritius followed by the duty free shopping in Dubai
- All inclusive meals, drinks and afternoon team included
- Enjoy a spa at the seven colour spa suite at the Palmar Resort
- Your hotel in Dubai is close to the shopping malls offer free shuttle bus and only a short distance to Jumeirah Beach
Ideal Combination of Sea, Sand and Sights at Zilwa Attitude Hotel and Doubletree by Hilton al Barsha
- Experience traditional Mauritius with Zilwa Atittude Hotel being typical of Mauritian homes and paying tribute to local heritage
- Great culinary adventures await with live cooking restaurants, barbecues, traditional Indian and Thai cuisine just some of the restaurants available
- Many exquisite beaches including four beaches on two private islands in Mauritius and the famous Jumeirah Beach in Dubai
The holiday you will not be able to resist - the Tamassa all-inclusive resort in Mauritius with a stay in Dubai
Imagine relaxing on the shores of the Indian Ocean's most exotic island, then exploring the jewel of the Emirates - where else than in Mauritius and Dubai
- Complete your stay with a shopping trip in luxurious 5* Dubai
- Enjoy a range of water sports including windsurfing, sailing, snorkelling & more
- Vibrant accommodation with all rooms sea-facing at the Tamassa all-inclusive resort
The perfect location to discover the beauty of Mauritius and experience the luxury of Dubai
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha offers luxurious accommodation as all rooms have an HD TV with Wi-fi as well as opulent bathrooms facilities to make it a comfortable stay
- Add an excursion package (a half-day Dubai city tour, aÂ desert safari and a ÂDhow cruise experience) for Â£99 more per person
- Enjoy a luxury and comfortable stay at Sofitel So in a Lushury Room including a private garden with open air bathtub
Combine the excitement and adventure of South Africa with a luxurius stay in Maritius
- Swim with Dolphins in Mauritius for a simply amazing tropical experience
- Experience a spectacular Ballon Safari at Mabula Game Lodge
- Capture the magic and wonder of the big five in South Africa
Combine the magic of Mauritius with futuristic Dubai at Heritage Awali and Pullman Dubai Jumeirah Lakes Towers
Two amazing destination combine to make a holiday of glamour, relaxation, luxurious touches a nd memories to last a lifetime
- Luxury relaxation framed with breath-taking surroundings
- Sensational Spa treatments & state of the art gym
- Best of both - Ultimate Mauritian pampering and relaxation coupled with the best of Dubai's shopping and entertainment
Beautifully perched on Mauritius' northern coast and perfectly positioned right next to the fishermen’s village of...
One of the newest and most beautiful hotels to be gracing the sunkissed eastern shore of Mauritius in Palmar, the Ambre...
Ideally located on the West coast of Mauritius in the village of Flic en Flac and only 2 km from the restaurants, casino...
Discover peace of mind like you've never had it before as you head out to an Indian Ocean island known for its...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adult only hotel, decorated in bright and...
Merville Beach - Grand Baie sits on a sheltered, palm fringed bay on the north coast of Mauritius. This well established...
Merville Beach Produced by Lux* sits on a sheltered, palm fringed bay on the north coast of Mauritius. This well...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Mauritius
Mauritius NewsBrowse all Mauritius News
The Shangri-La Le Touessrok Resort & Spa Mauritius has announced a special collaboration with the property’s former owner and chef Jacqueline Dalais. The resort is named after the island of Touessrok in Brittany, France, and to celebrate its heritage a new five-course menu has been launched which reinvents the traditional dishes Jacqueline Dalais used to serve to her special guests, including Princess Anne.
Mauritius introduces new "Golfing Mauritius Pass" to golf-loving holidaymakers Keen golfers planning a Mauritius holiday will now be able to benefit from the newly-launched "Golfing Mauritius Pass", a ticket enabling them to enjoy a minimum of two rounds at all of Mauritius' nine championship 18-hole courses.
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority has announced that the island nation received an 11 per cent increase in international visitors in 2016. According to the Tourism Authority, the idyllic island in the Indian Ocean received 1.28 million tourists last year, beating the 1.15 million recorded in 2015. There was also a nine per cent increase in travellers from the United Kingdom.