Le Domaine Du Chasseur
Duration: Half Day
A pearl in the Indian Ocean, Mauritius is a place of exquisite natural beauty. As soon as you set foot on the island you are greeted with white sandy beaches fringed by swaying palms and surrounded by sparkling turquoise lagoons. Inland, the landscapes comprise sugar cane fields, mountainous terrain and tropical forests, which host a number of beautiful nature reserves.
Because of the island’s isolation, Mauritius has a relatively low diversity of wildlife, but many of its species are endemic, found naturally nowhere else in the world. This tour provides an ideal chance for you to get close to nature during your holiday in Mauritius as you explore the 1000-acre wildlife reserve of Le Domaine du Chasseur, one of the last indigenous forests in the country.
Nestled in the hills at Anse Jonchée on the south-east of the island, Le Domaine du Chasseur (meaning Hunter's Domain) is a private nature reserve and old hunting grounds. Over 300 years ago, the Dutch introduced Java deer to this part of the island as they came onto shore, bringing the animals with them. The deer happily settled here and continued to stay on the island when the Dutch left, claiming Mauritius as their own land. Once popular with private hunting parties, the park now promotes eco tourism, targeting "green" tourists and nature lovers who appreciate the importance of wildlife conservation.
Located high in the hills, amidst lush vegetation such as palm trees, spice plants, revenala, ebony, eucalyptus, wild orchids and other native tropical flora, this beautiful indigenous forest is an important habitat for many rare endemic species such as the Mauritian Kestrel, Mauritius Parakeet and Pink Pigeon, as well as more common species such as the Mauritius Grey White-Eye, Mauritius Cuckoo Shrike and Zebra Dove. A large variety of other bird species can also be spotted here, and you are likely to see animals such as monkeys, wild boars, hares and Java deer, which have been reared here for centuries.
A popular place for trekkers, visitors can explore 30 km of nature trails throughout the forest, which run past waterfalls and scenic spots where you can relax and take photos. Panoramic views of the island and coastline can be enjoyed in the highest parts of the reserve. Mountain biking and quad biking is also available in the park, and after all that exercise and fresh air you can enjoy a hearty meal in the Domaine du Chasseur restaurant.
Located at the top of the mountain, visitors can marvel at beautiful views of the Indian Ocean and the lush green valley below as they dine. Speciality cuisine includes seafood and traditional game dishes. This tour is a wonderful way to appreciate the beauty of Mauritius’ landscapes and wildlife, whilst supporting the island’s important conservation efforts.
Mauritius Holidays Browse all
Discover Dubai's many urban pleasures and explore the coastal beauty of western Mauritius
- The only revolving restaurant in Dubai, Al Dawaar is located on the 25th floor of the hotel with spectacular views of the blue Gulf waters, the Creek and the amazing skyline of Dubai.
- The Perfect location of Anelia Beach Resort will let you enjoy Mauritius breathtaking sea views
- Take advantage of the tennis courts, beach volley ball and many indoor games at Anelia Beach Resort
Exotic Mauriitus coupled with the dazzling city of Dubai with LUX* Grand Gaube and Pullman Jumeirah Lakes Towers
Stay at the romantic hideway LUX* Grand Gaube followed by glamorous Dubai
- Staying at LUX* Grande Gaube will make your holiday memorable with the hidden treasures they have to offer you during your stay
- Pullman Jumeirah is set within a great location just a few minutes walk to the marina and close by to the metro for you to explore Dubai
- Some of the treasures are you may stumble on a secret bar where you can make your own cocktail, enjoy a classic film at the Cinema on the beach these are only a few to mention
Combine a relaxing Mauritius holiday at sofitel so mauritius bel ombre and Arabian luxury in exciting Dubai
Unwind and relax in the beautiful tropical paradise that is Mauritius before experiencing the many modern wonders of magical Dubai .
- Upgrade to Half board for breakfast and dinner , local drinks included soft drink, beer and rum, tea/coffee and water. drinks during dinner
- Enjoy 3nts in the vibrant city of Dubai enjoying duty free shopping
- Sofitel So Mauritius Lushury Room includes, 24 hr - butler service private garden with open air bathtub, patio and outdoor shower and complimentary WIFI
Ideal Combination of Sea, Sand and Sights at Zilwa Attitude Hotel and Doubletree by Hilton al Barsha
- Experience traditional Mauritius with Zilwa Atittude Hotel being typical of Mauritian homes and paying tribute to local heritage
- Great culinary adventures await with live cooking restaurants, barbecues, traditional Indian and Thai cuisine just some of the restaurants available
- Many exquisite beaches including four beaches on two private islands in Mauritius and the famous Jumeirah Beach in Dubai
The perfect location to discover the beauty of Mauritius and experience the luxury of Dubai
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha offers luxurious accommodation as all rooms have an HD TV with Wi-fi as well as opulent bathrooms facilities to make it a comfortable stay
- Add an excursion package (a half-day Dubai city tour, aÂ desert safari and a ÂDhow cruise experience) for Â£99 more per person
- Enjoy a luxury and comfortable stay at Sofitel So in a Lushury Room including a private garden with open air bathtub
Discover the beauty of two different destinations
- Escape from daily stresses and routine and enjoy a relaxing Spa treatment in Dubai
- Intercontinental Mauritius is within 15-min drive from the main tourist region of Grand Baie and 50-min drive from Plaisance International Airport
- Unlimited recreation opportunities and world-class dinning facilities at Intercontinental Mauritius
Veranda Palmar Beach Resort is set in lush tropical gardens that lead down to an endless stretch of white sandy beach on...
Ideally located on the West coast of Mauritius in the village of Flic en Flac and only 2 km from the restaurants, casino...
Beautifully perched on Mauritius' northern coast and perfectly positioned right next to the fishermen’s village of...
Combine an enchanting beach break in idyllic Mauritius with a faster-paced Middle Eastern city exuding glamour and style...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Lux* Grand Gaube, lies on a sheltered private cove on the north-east coast of Mauritius, not far from Grand Baie. This...
Merville Beach - Grand Baie sits on a sheltered, palm fringed bay on the north coast of Mauritius. This well established...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adult only hotel, decorated in bright and...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Mauritius
Mauritius NewsBrowse all Mauritius News
Mauritius introduces new "Golfing Mauritius Pass" to golf-loving holidaymakers Keen golfers planning a Mauritius holiday will now be able to benefit from the newly-launched "Golfing Mauritius Pass", a ticket enabling them to enjoy a minimum of two rounds at all of Mauritius' nine championship 18-hole courses.
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority has announced that the island nation received an 11 per cent increase in international visitors in 2016. According to the Tourism Authority, the idyllic island in the Indian Ocean received 1.28 million tourists last year, beating the 1.15 million recorded in 2015. There was also a nine per cent increase in travellers from the United Kingdom.
Bernhard Haechler has been appointed as the new General Manager of Shangri-La's Le Touessrok Resort & Spa in Mauritius. Haechler has dual Swiss and South African nationality, and he brings more than 20 years of senior management level experience and expertise to the role. He will be responsible for overseeing operations and teams at the 200-room luxury hotel.