Curepipe, Domaine Les Aubineaux, Grand Bassin, Black River, Plaine Champagne and Chamarel
Duration: Half Day
For a day full of adventure and discovery in Mauritius’ most iconic places, join us for this unique tour combining the best of the island into one wonderful full day excursion. Visit the famous city of Curepipe and see its amazing colonial house at Domaine des Aubineaux. Stop at the mystical Grand Bassin later leading you towards Plain Champagne to enjoy the best views of the imposing Black River Gorges and admire the unparalleled beauty of the Chamarel coloured earths! A day of full action not to be missed!
We begin this one-of-a-kind excursion at Curepipe, a picturesque town in Mauritus that is also one of the largest commercial and residential towns in the island. It is here that you will find the impressive dormant volcano of Troux-aux-Cerfs, now more than 700 000 years old! Enjoy the breathtaking views atop this magnificent mountain and take the time to breath in the purest puffs of oxygen imaginable…at these heights…you don’t get air any fresher than this!
From here we make our way to Domaine des Aubineaux for a visit to an old colonial house built in 1872 and now converted into a museum dedicated to the history of Mauritian Tea. Here you will find several displays explaining the important role that the tea industry played in the island throughout time. Some say that going to Domaine des Aubineaux is the first step to taking the Mauritian Tea Route, and you will certainly be entering the world of Mauritian Tea as you learn all about its production in the island in this fantastic museum. Your visit will also include a nice tea tasting opportunity at the end.
Our journey continues with a brief stop at the miraculous Grand Bassin, the island’s most sacred lake for the Hindu community. It is popularly believed that the waters of this lake communicate with the waters of the holy Ganges of India. Thus, the lake of Grand Bassin is a place of worship for the many Mauritians that perform a yearly pilgrimage to celebrate the Maha Sivarati or “Siva’s Great Night”. So on your visit to this legendary place you too will be honouring the Hindu Lord Siva with your presence.
We continue our fabulous journey through Mauritius’ heartland with a stop at the magnificent forest reserve of Plaine Champagne. Following this breathtaking route will soon lead us to a privileged lookout point in which to enjoy the best views of the spectacular Black River Gorges. Feast your eyes on the beauty of the unique vistas that can be enjoyed from this unique viewpoint over this famous Mauritian river.
And finally, we have reserved the best for last with a visit to Chamarel, a world-only phenomenon consisting of peculiar scenery featuring stretches of land of multi-coloured earths! The coloured earths of Chamarel are said to be the result of volcanic rocks cooling off at different temperatures and thus creating a unique scenery of beautiful patterns that never fail to amaze visitors time and time again. This particularly unusual landscape in the exposed hillsides poses an unusual visual recreation as these mounds of undulating coloured land can play tricks on your eyes! So beware and watch out for the shadows playing tricks on you!
The other wonder of Chamarel is the magnificent waterfall that emerges all the way from the moors down to the unique seven-coloured earths of Chamarel, making this place all the more bewitching and breathtaking to watch! Surely the perfect way to end our tour as you head back home speechless from all the amazing natural sights you’ve just witnessed. So don’t think it twice and join us for this splendid tour where we take you to explore the best of Mauritius’ interiors! Discover the best of everything Mauritius has to offer with this trip across some of the best Mauritian wonders!
Mauritius Holidays Browse all
Enjoy the best of both worlds - tranquil Mauritius at Recif Atitudein combined with vibrant and never sleeping Dubai
Admire beautiful Pointe aux Piments sunsets and relax on a white sandy beach in the friendly Récif Attitude hotel and explore the wonders of Dubai including one of the most famous shopping malls - The Mall of the Emirates
- Early Check in and Late Check out Guaranteed along with Dine Around at Recif Attitude
- The Mall of the Emirates is just few minutes walk away from the Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha
- Recif Attitude, an adults only hotel, is a perfect choice for couples, friends or newly-weds to relax and unwind in its calm and friendly atmosphere
Lap up the mesmerising coastal beauty of western Mauritius and then explore Dubai - a city of wonders
Discover and Experience the best of both worlds Mauritius and Dubai
- Take advantage of the tennis courts, beach volley ball and many indoor games at Anelia Beach Resort
- Dubai stay at a TripAdvisor Winner with a Certificate of Excellence hotel
- The Perfect location of Anelia Beach Resort will let you enjoy Mauritius breathtaking sea views
Exotic Mauriitus coupled with the dazzling city of Dubai with LUX* Grand Gaube and Pullman Jumeirah Lakes Towers
Stay at the romantic hideway LUX* Grand Gaube followed by glamorous Dubai
- Staying at LUX* Grande Gaube will make your holiday memorable with the hidden treasures they have to offer you during your stay
- Pullman Jumeirah is set within a great location just a few minutes walk to the marina and close by to the metro for you to explore Dubai
- Some of the treasures are you may stumble on a secret bar where you can make your own cocktail, enjoy a classic film at the Cinema on the beach these are only a few to mention
The perfect location to discover the beauty of Mauritius and experience the luxury of Dubai
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha offers luxurious accommodation as all rooms have an HD TV with Wi-fi as well as opulent bathrooms facilities to make it a comfortable stay
- Add an excursion package (a half-day Dubai city tour, aÂ desert safari and a ÂDhow cruise experience) for Â£99 more per person
- Enjoy a luxury and comfortable stay at Sofitel So in a Lushury Room including a private garden with open air bathtub
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of two different destinations
- Escape from daily stresses and routine and enjoy a relaxing Spa treatment in Dubai
- Intercontinental Mauritius is within 15-min drive from the main tourist region of Grand Baie and 50-min drive from Plaisance International Airport
- Unlimited recreation opportunities and world-class dinning facilities at Intercontinental Mauritius
Veranda Palmar Beach Resort is set in lush tropical gardens that lead down to an endless stretch of white sandy beach on...
Ideally located on the West coast of Mauritius in the village of Flic en Flac and only 2 km from the restaurants, casino...
Beautifully perched on Mauritius' northern coast and perfectly positioned right next to the fishermen’s village of...
Combine an enchanting beach break in idyllic Mauritius with a faster-paced Middle Eastern city exuding glamour and style...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Lux* Grand Gaube, lies on a sheltered private cove on the north-east coast of Mauritius, not far from Grand Baie. This...
Merville Beach - Grand Baie sits on a sheltered, palm fringed bay on the north coast of Mauritius. This well established...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adult only hotel, decorated in bright and...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Related articles for Mauritius
Mauritius NewsBrowse all Mauritius News
Mauritius introduces new "Golfing Mauritius Pass" to golf-loving holidaymakers Keen golfers planning a Mauritius holiday will now be able to benefit from the newly-launched "Golfing Mauritius Pass", a ticket enabling them to enjoy a minimum of two rounds at all of Mauritius' nine championship 18-hole courses.
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority has announced that the island nation received an 11 per cent increase in international visitors in 2016. According to the Tourism Authority, the idyllic island in the Indian Ocean received 1.28 million tourists last year, beating the 1.15 million recorded in 2015. There was also a nine per cent increase in travellers from the United Kingdom.
Bernhard Haechler has been appointed as the new General Manager of Shangri-La's Le Touessrok Resort & Spa in Mauritius. Haechler has dual Swiss and South African nationality, and he brings more than 20 years of senior management level experience and expertise to the role. He will be responsible for overseeing operations and teams at the 200-room luxury hotel.