City Tour and Shopping in Port Louis
Duration: Half Day
Spend a day exploring Port Louis, the vibrant capital of Mauritius, and immerse yourself in its fascinating history and diverse cultures. This enriching cultural tour is an ideal way to discover the highlights of one of the island’s most important cities.
Founded by the French in 1735, and named after King Louis XV, Port Louis is Mauritius’ largest city and the main port on the island. You will notice a diverse blend of cultures here, which is evident through its many mosques, shrines, temples, pagodas and impressive colonial architecture. The population of Port Louis is largely made up of a large number of immigrants who arrived from India in the early 19th century to work in the sugar cane fields. In addition, the Chinese have traditionally held a strong community here, congregating in the area known as Chinatown, whilst the city also has a rich French, Dutch and British colonial past. The many different cultural influences make Port Louis a fascinating city to explore.
Surrounded by picturesque mountains belonging to the Port Louis Moka Range, the scenic city of Port Louis is dominated by the 19th century La Citadelle (Fort Adelaide), which was built in the foothills by the British to guard the harbour from attacks. From here visitors can gain spectacular panoramic views of the city, harbour and The Champ de Mars, the oldest racecourse in the southern hemisphere. Lose yourself in the hustle and bustle of the streets and boulevards as you explore some of the most fascinating parts of the city.
Port Louis boasts some impressive architecture, including French colonial buildings dating back to the 18th century and historical monuments such as the beautiful 19th century Jummah Mosque and 19th century Saint James Cathedral, one of only a few Protestant churches built on the island when Mauritius was a British colony. We arrive at Place D’Armes, the Historical Centre of the city, which links the port to the beautiful 19th century Government House through a grand esplanade lined by palm trees and statues. The statue of the French governor Mahe de Labourdonnais can be seen at the entrance. Many churches and museums can be found in this area, as well as the 19th century Municiple Theatre, the oldest theatre in the Indian Ocean region.
We continue onwards to the vibrant and colourful Central Market, which holds an important place within the Mauritian community. Soak up the sights, smells and bustling atmosphere as you browse the stalls, passing traders selling all kinds of different cultural wares. You will find fresh produce and spices here, as well as Indian snacks, herbal remedies, clothing, table cloths, bags and many other items that will make great gits or souvenirs. A visit to this market is a fantastic way to appreciate the true diversity of the Mauritian population.
At Le Miraj you will see exquisite tapestries and traditional arts and crafts made by local artisans, whilst the final part of the tour will lead you to the popular Caudan Waterfront, the hub of the city. This area offers a marina, duty-free shops, cinemas, restaurants, bars and casinos facing the Port Louis harbour. You will find a wide selection of high quality products and jewelleries here. Being duty-free, Mauritius is a shopper’s paradise so you can be sure of picking up a bargain!
Mauritius Holidays Browse all
Enjoy the best of both worlds - tranquil Mauritius at Recif Atitudein combined with vibrant and never sleeping Dubai
Admire beautiful Pointe aux Piments sunsets and relax on a white sandy beach in the friendly Récif Attitude hotel and explore the wonders of Dubai including one of the most famous shopping malls - The Mall of the Emirates
- Early Check in and Late Check out Guaranteed along with Dine Around at Recif Attitude
- The Mall of the Emirates is just few minutes walk away from the Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha
- Recif Attitude, an adults only hotel, is a perfect choice for couples, friends or newly-weds to relax and unwind in its calm and friendly atmosphere
Discover Dubai's many urban pleasures and explore the coastal beauty of western Mauritius
- The only revolving restaurant in Dubai, Al Dawaar is located on the 25th floor of the hotel with spectacular views of the blue Gulf waters, the Creek and the amazing skyline of Dubai.
- The Perfect location of Anelia Beach Resort will let you enjoy Mauritius breathtaking sea views
- Take advantage of the tennis courts, beach volley ball and many indoor games at Anelia Beach Resort
Relax and Unwind on the beautiful sandy beaches of Mauritius followed by the duty free shopping in Dubai
- All inclusive meals, drinks and afternoon team included
- Enjoy a spa at the seven colour spa suite at the Palmar Resort
- Your hotel in Dubai is close to the shopping malls offer free shuttle bus and only a short distance to Jumeirah Beach
Ideal Combination of Sea, Sand and Sights at Zilwa Attitude Hotel and Doubletree by Hilton al Barsha
- Experience traditional Mauritius with Zilwa Atittude Hotel being typical of Mauritian homes and paying tribute to local heritage
- Great culinary adventures await with live cooking restaurants, barbecues, traditional Indian and Thai cuisine just some of the restaurants available
- Many exquisite beaches including four beaches on two private islands in Mauritius and the famous Jumeirah Beach in Dubai
Mauritius' longest beach, beside a snorkelling paradise, Longbeach is a modern wonder with mountain scenery and an urban twist and an elegant 5* Hotel offering luxurious accommodation in the heart of the City of Dubai
- Take some time to enjoy the spa treatments on offer at the Auris Plaza Spa with plenty of variety in methods
- Both hotels feature perfect location, great dining facilities and free Wi-FI. This twin-centre suites both couples and families
- Long Beach is a great place to gravitate to in the evenings, to eat from a selction of tastes from around the world
The perfect location to discover the beauty of Mauritius and experience the luxury of Dubai
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha offers luxurious accommodation as all rooms have an HD TV with Wi-fi as well as opulent bathrooms facilities to make it a comfortable stay
- Add an excursion package (a half-day Dubai city tour, aÂ desert safari and a ÂDhow cruise experience) for Â£99 more per person
- Enjoy a luxury and comfortable stay at Sofitel So in a Lushury Room including a private garden with open air bathtub
Ideally located on the West coast of Mauritius in the village of Flic en Flac and only 2 km from the restaurants, casino...
Veranda Palmar Beach Resort is set in lush tropical gardens that lead down to an endless stretch of white sandy beach on...
Beautifully perched on Mauritius' northern coast and perfectly positioned right next to the fishermen’s village of...
Combine an enchanting beach break in idyllic Mauritius with a faster-paced Middle Eastern city exuding glamour and style...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Lux* Grand Gaube, lies on a sheltered private cove on the north-east coast of Mauritius, not far from Grand Baie. This...
Merville Beach - Grand Baie sits on a sheltered, palm fringed bay on the north coast of Mauritius. This well established...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adult only hotel, decorated in bright and...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Mauritius
Mauritius NewsBrowse all Mauritius News
Mauritius introduces new "Golfing Mauritius Pass" to golf-loving holidaymakers Keen golfers planning a Mauritius holiday will now be able to benefit from the newly-launched "Golfing Mauritius Pass", a ticket enabling them to enjoy a minimum of two rounds at all of Mauritius' nine championship 18-hole courses.
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority has announced that the island nation received an 11 per cent increase in international visitors in 2016. According to the Tourism Authority, the idyllic island in the Indian Ocean received 1.28 million tourists last year, beating the 1.15 million recorded in 2015. There was also a nine per cent increase in travellers from the United Kingdom.
Bernhard Haechler has been appointed as the new General Manager of Shangri-La's Le Touessrok Resort & Spa in Mauritius. Haechler has dual Swiss and South African nationality, and he brings more than 20 years of senior management level experience and expertise to the role. He will be responsible for overseeing operations and teams at the 200-room luxury hotel.