Duration: Half Day
Explore the quaint beauties of this small colonial town encapsulated in time, a charming fishing village that has hardly experienced any change over the years. On this tour you´ll get to discover the untouched beauty of Mahebourg, a quaint city built on the magnificent Grand Port Bay, dazzling visitors with its welcoming seaside allure.
For the first part of your tour you´ll be taken to the famous nearby “Biscuiterie Rault” a delightful biscuit factory, the oldest in the island and the only one in Mauritius and the whole African continent. Here you will learn about the process of confectioning a unique range of handmade biscuits of all shapes and sizes, following strict traditional recipes with a wide variety of unique textures and flavours. Since the family´s arrival to Mauritius, Jean Fabien Rault discovered a unique recipe to create biscuits made of manioc, a tuber originating from South America and introduced in Mauritius by the French governor de Labourdonnais.
The factory was founded in 1870 by the Rault family and since then they have taken pride in producing the island´s most famous biscuits. You´ll also learn that since its creation there has always been a family member dedicated to the running of this peculiar business, reaching today the 4th generation when the biscuits are still made in the old fashioned way almost entirely by hand and using a secret recipe without preservatives, sweeteners or colouring agents. This charming guided tour will end with the chance of sampling a freshly baked biscuit with a nice cup of tea, of course.
From here onwards we´ll be making our way towards Domaine du Chasseur, a breathtaking wild nature reserve nestled amidst mountain slopes and majestically rising above the sea. Located in a privileged zone at the south-east of the island and right at the heart of abundant lush greenery, Le Domaine du Chasseur cover no less than 1950 splendid acres comprising the most bewildering and diverse natural sights as well as the occasional encounter with wildlife. Once a hunting reserve, it has nowadays been transformed into an eco-tourist paradise with amazing nature trails perfect for wandering enthusiasts.
Those passionate about leafy walks will have the opportunicty of choosing between trails ranging from 5 and 15 km long, allowing you to leisurely admire rare kinds of trees and other protected species like the famous windhover kestrel. Take your time to walk along these incredible paths running through beautiful forests of spice plants and indigenous trees. If you get lucky you might end up catching sight of the Javan deer, wild boars, monkeys, hare and many local bird species that also inhabit in this wonderful reserve. Whilst on these luscious grounds you will savour a delicious lunch of local specialties served at a one-of-a-kind panoramic restaurant hanging on the slopes of the mountain from which you will enjoy the most breathtaking views.
As the sun begins to settle in the horizon you could indulge in the delightful observation of the daily afternoon migration of the endangered Mauritius kestrel, a unique sight that attracts many visitors from all over the world. Don´t miss this unique opportunity to be at one with Mauritius´ flamboyant nature and wildlife in the most idyllic green surroundings! The ideal excursion for nature lovers, bird watchers and all true explorers at heart!
Mauritius Holidays Browse all
Combine the peaceful luxury of Mauritius with the opulent excitement of Dubai
- Young travellers are invited to ignite their imagination at Le Méridien Family Kids Club
- Enjoy a therapeutic steam bath or relaxing massage in the on-site Spa in Dubai
- Enjoy a plethora of complimentary water activities in Mauritius
Combine a relaxing break in the heart of the Indian Ocean at outrigger mauritius resort and spa with a shopping trip in Dubai
The two resorts offer the best of both worlds set in idyllic locations whether you chose a relaxing or more active holiday, with amazing activities and facilities to match
- The Outrigger Resort offers amazing facilities with three swimming pools, a vast array of sports on offer and The Navasana Spa providing an opportunity to relax and unwind
- The Asiana offer a unique experience with the best in oriental hospitality with added Arabian luxury with a clam and inviting atmosphere
- An idyllic holiday blend - the tropical island of Mauritius and the modern city of Dubai
Combine a relaxing Mauritius holiday at sofitel so mauritius bel ombre and Arabian luxury in exciting Dubai
Unwind and relax in the beautiful tropical paradise that is Mauritius before experiencing the many modern wonders of magical Dubai .
- Upgrade to Half board for breakfast and dinner , local drinks included soft drink, beer and rum, tea/coffee and water. drinks during dinner
- Enjoy 3nts in the vibrant city of Dubai enjoying duty free shopping
- Sofitel So Mauritius Lushury Room includes, 24 hr - butler service private garden with open air bathtub, patio and outdoor shower and complimentary WIFI
Ideal Combination of Sea, Sand and Sights at Zilwa Attitude Hotel and Doubletree by Hilton al Barsha
- Experience traditional Mauritius with Zilwa Atittude Hotel being typical of Mauritian homes and paying tribute to local heritage
- Great culinary adventures await with live cooking restaurants, barbecues, traditional Indian and Thai cuisine just some of the restaurants available
- Many exquisite beaches including four beaches on two private islands in Mauritius and the famous Jumeirah Beach in Dubai
Discover the beauty of two different destinations
- Escape from daily stresses and routine and enjoy a relaxing Spa treatment in Dubai
- Intercontinental Mauritius is within 15-min drive from the main tourist region of Grand Baie and 50-min drive from Plaisance International Airport
- Unlimited recreation opportunities and world-class dinning facilities at Intercontinental Mauritius
Mauritius' longest beach, beside a snorkelling paradise, Longbeach is a modern wonder with mountain scenery and an urban twist and an elegant 5* Hotel offering luxurious accommodation in the heart of the City of Dubai
- Take some time to enjoy the spa treatments on offer at the Auris Plaza Spa with plenty of variety in methods
- Both hotels feature perfect location, great dining facilities and free Wi-FI. This twin-centre suites both couples and families
- Long Beach is a great place to gravitate to in the evenings, to eat from a selction of tastes from around the world
Ideally located on the West coast of Mauritius in the village of Flic en Flac and only 2 km from the restaurants, casino...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Beautifully perched on Mauritius' northern coast and perfectly positioned right next to the fishermen’s village of...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Combine an enchanting beach break in idyllic Mauritius with a faster-paced Middle Eastern city exuding glamour and style...
The first Sofitel SO brand in the world is a luxury Eco resort, set in an oasis of nature in the south of Mauritius,...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adult only hotel, decorated in bright and...
Merville Beach - Grand Baie sits on a sheltered, palm fringed bay on the north coast of Mauritius. This well established...
Lux* Grand Gaube, lies on a sheltered private cove on the north-east coast of Mauritius, not far from Grand Baie. This...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Mauritius
Mauritius NewsBrowse all Mauritius News
Mauritius introduces new "Golfing Mauritius Pass" to golf-loving holidaymakers Keen golfers planning a Mauritius holiday will now be able to benefit from the newly-launched "Golfing Mauritius Pass", a ticket enabling them to enjoy a minimum of two rounds at all of Mauritius' nine championship 18-hole courses.
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority has announced that the island nation received an 11 per cent increase in international visitors in 2016. According to the Tourism Authority, the idyllic island in the Indian Ocean received 1.28 million tourists last year, beating the 1.15 million recorded in 2015. There was also a nine per cent increase in travellers from the United Kingdom.
Bernhard Haechler has been appointed as the new General Manager of Shangri-La's Le Touessrok Resort & Spa in Mauritius. Haechler has dual Swiss and South African nationality, and he brings more than 20 years of senior management level experience and expertise to the role. He will be responsible for overseeing operations and teams at the 200-room luxury hotel.