Duration: Half Day
Explore the quaint beauties of this small colonial town encapsulated in time, a charming fishing village that has hardly experienced any change over the years. On this tour you´ll get to discover the untouched beauty of Mahebourg, a quaint city built on the magnificent Grand Port Bay, dazzling visitors with its welcoming seaside allure.
For the first part of your tour you´ll be taken to the famous nearby “Biscuiterie Rault” a delightful biscuit factory, the oldest in the island and the only one in Mauritius and the whole African continent. Here you will learn about the process of confectioning a unique range of handmade biscuits of all shapes and sizes, following strict traditional recipes with a wide variety of unique textures and flavours. Since the family´s arrival to Mauritius, Jean Fabien Rault discovered a unique recipe to create biscuits made of manioc, a tuber originating from South America and introduced in Mauritius by the French governor de Labourdonnais.
The factory was founded in 1870 by the Rault family and since then they have taken pride in producing the island´s most famous biscuits. You´ll also learn that since its creation there has always been a family member dedicated to the running of this peculiar business, reaching today the 4th generation when the biscuits are still made in the old fashioned way almost entirely by hand and using a secret recipe without preservatives, sweeteners or colouring agents. This charming guided tour will end with the chance of sampling a freshly baked biscuit with a nice cup of tea, of course.
From here onwards we´ll be making our way towards Domaine du Chasseur, a breathtaking wild nature reserve nestled amidst mountain slopes and majestically rising above the sea. Located in a privileged zone at the south-east of the island and right at the heart of abundant lush greenery, Le Domaine du Chasseur cover no less than 1950 splendid acres comprising the most bewildering and diverse natural sights as well as the occasional encounter with wildlife. Once a hunting reserve, it has nowadays been transformed into an eco-tourist paradise with amazing nature trails perfect for wandering enthusiasts.
Those passionate about leafy walks will have the opportunicty of choosing between trails ranging from 5 and 15 km long, allowing you to leisurely admire rare kinds of trees and other protected species like the famous windhover kestrel. Take your time to walk along these incredible paths running through beautiful forests of spice plants and indigenous trees. If you get lucky you might end up catching sight of the Javan deer, wild boars, monkeys, hare and many local bird species that also inhabit in this wonderful reserve. Whilst on these luscious grounds you will savour a delicious lunch of local specialties served at a one-of-a-kind panoramic restaurant hanging on the slopes of the mountain from which you will enjoy the most breathtaking views.
As the sun begins to settle in the horizon you could indulge in the delightful observation of the daily afternoon migration of the endangered Mauritius kestrel, a unique sight that attracts many visitors from all over the world. Don´t miss this unique opportunity to be at one with Mauritius´ flamboyant nature and wildlife in the most idyllic green surroundings! The ideal excursion for nature lovers, bird watchers and all true explorers at heart!
Mauritius Holidays Browse all
Enjoy the best of both worlds - tranquil Mauritius at Recif Atitudein combined with vibrant and never sleeping Dubai
Admire beautiful Pointe aux Piments sunsets and relax on a white sandy beach in the friendly Récif Attitude hotel and explore the wonders of Dubai including one of the most famous shopping malls - The Mall of the Emirates
- Early Check in and Late Check out Guaranteed along with Dine Around at Recif Attitude
- The Mall of the Emirates is just few minutes walk away from the Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha
- Recif Attitude, an adults only hotel, is a perfect choice for couples, friends or newly-weds to relax and unwind in its calm and friendly atmosphere
Lap up the mesmerising coastal beauty of western Mauritius and then explore Dubai - a city of wonders
Discover and Experience the best of both worlds Mauritius and Dubai
- Take advantage of the tennis courts, beach volley ball and many indoor games at Anelia Beach Resort
- Dubai stay at a TripAdvisor Winner with a Certificate of Excellence hotel
- The Perfect location of Anelia Beach Resort will let you enjoy Mauritius breathtaking sea views
Exotic Mauriitus coupled with the dazzling city of Dubai with LUX* Grand Gaube and Pullman Jumeirah Lakes Towers
Stay at the romantic hideway LUX* Grand Gaube followed by glamorous Dubai
- Staying at LUX* Grande Gaube will make your holiday memorable with the hidden treasures they have to offer you during your stay
- Pullman Jumeirah is set within a great location just a few minutes walk to the marina and close by to the metro for you to explore Dubai
- Some of the treasures are you may stumble on a secret bar where you can make your own cocktail, enjoy a classic film at the Cinema on the beach these are only a few to mention
The perfect location to discover the beauty of Mauritius and experience the luxury of Dubai
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha offers luxurious accommodation as all rooms have an HD TV with Wi-fi as well as opulent bathrooms facilities to make it a comfortable stay
- Add an excursion package (a half-day Dubai city tour, aÂ desert safari and a ÂDhow cruise experience) for Â£99 more per person
- Enjoy a luxury and comfortable stay at Sofitel So in a Lushury Room including a private garden with open air bathtub
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of two different destinations
- Escape from daily stresses and routine and enjoy a relaxing Spa treatment in Dubai
- Intercontinental Mauritius is within 15-min drive from the main tourist region of Grand Baie and 50-min drive from Plaisance International Airport
- Unlimited recreation opportunities and world-class dinning facilities at Intercontinental Mauritius
Veranda Palmar Beach Resort is set in lush tropical gardens that lead down to an endless stretch of white sandy beach on...
Ideally located on the West coast of Mauritius in the village of Flic en Flac and only 2 km from the restaurants, casino...
Beautifully perched on Mauritius' northern coast and perfectly positioned right next to the fishermen’s village of...
Combine an enchanting beach break in idyllic Mauritius with a faster-paced Middle Eastern city exuding glamour and style...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Lux* Grand Gaube, lies on a sheltered private cove on the north-east coast of Mauritius, not far from Grand Baie. This...
Merville Beach - Grand Baie sits on a sheltered, palm fringed bay on the north coast of Mauritius. This well established...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adult only hotel, decorated in bright and...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Related articles for Mauritius
Mauritius NewsBrowse all Mauritius News
Mauritius introduces new "Golfing Mauritius Pass" to golf-loving holidaymakers Keen golfers planning a Mauritius holiday will now be able to benefit from the newly-launched "Golfing Mauritius Pass", a ticket enabling them to enjoy a minimum of two rounds at all of Mauritius' nine championship 18-hole courses.
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority has announced that the island nation received an 11 per cent increase in international visitors in 2016. According to the Tourism Authority, the idyllic island in the Indian Ocean received 1.28 million tourists last year, beating the 1.15 million recorded in 2015. There was also a nine per cent increase in travellers from the United Kingdom.
Bernhard Haechler has been appointed as the new General Manager of Shangri-La's Le Touessrok Resort & Spa in Mauritius. Haechler has dual Swiss and South African nationality, and he brings more than 20 years of senior management level experience and expertise to the role. He will be responsible for overseeing operations and teams at the 200-room luxury hotel.