Gros Piton Nature Trail
Duration: Half Day
St. Lucia offers spectacular scenery and therefore possesses endless sightseeing attractions. The Pitons are St. Lucia’s most famous landmark standing majestically over 2, 000 feet; they rise out of the sea sheltering the island’s lush mountainous interior. These twin peaks provide stunning views from both on land and sea but just imagine the views you will obtain if you were to climb these slopes. Well, on the Gros Piton Nature Trail you will have the opportunity to ascend the Gros Piton (the larger of the two at 2,619 feet) and capture these unique sights while experiencing an enjoyable climb through the forest.
The journey begins by coach along the picturesque west coast of the island. You will drive through magnificent fields of cocoa, banana, and coconut plantations until the arrival at the Fond Gens Libre community which is a located at the foot of Gros Piton. The hike begins at the Interpretation Centre which is a visitor center exhibiting some of the rare vegetation and birds in Gros Piton. You will be joined by a knowledgeable and friendly guide who will lead you along the winding mountain trail. The climb to the summit and back to the foot of the slope is approximately 5 hours. The beginning of the slope is gradual and offers a moderate climb that can be enjoyed by everyone, however about half way through the trek the path gets much steeper and it’s a more strenuous accent, a delight for the more adventurous hikers.
The Gros Piton trail is not only a well marked nature trail but also a heritage site. The ‘village of the free people’ (the English translation of Fonds Gens Libre) is a remote village of historical significance to St. Lucia. The area was used by brigands or black freedom fighters, as a refuge during the slave rebellion of 1748. Several brigand sites can be seen as you ascend the trail; these include caves, tunnels, rock shelters, camps and lookouts.
In the first section of the hike you will not only see many brigand sites but also beautiful ocean views, the village of Choiseul can be seen to the east and you can visit the Anse L’lvroyne Canyon. As you climb your way up this mountain tropical birds will flutter by and you will notice a wide variety of vegetation including, Dry coastal forest, Cloud forest and Elfin woodland all nurtured by the rich volcanic soils and tropical rainfall.
The panoramic views from the summit of the mountain are truly unforgettable and breathtaking from every direction. The two major sights are overlooking the smaller yet still spectacular Petit Piton (2,561feet) and the other overlooking the South of St. Lucia. You will enjoy fantastic views of the Caribbean Sea and you may even be able to spot the outline of Martinique on the horizon. The slope is steep to descend and the views offered on the return trip are so different from the ascending climb. The hike is fully entertaining as well as informative. A bus ride takes you back to your hotel after this priceless experience.
Please note: Comfortable walking shoes are mandatory. This is not an excursion for those with heart ailments, those who are pregnant or not physically fit.
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Bridgetown and Rodney Bay - Two popular resorts offering culture, food and fun
- Bay Gardens Beach Resort is Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views
- Stay at Coconut Court Beach hotel and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Amazing Twin Centre Package with flights and transfers included
Enjoy breathtaking sunsets and blue sparkling waters of the Caribbean Sea at two beautiful all-inclusive St Lucia resort
Fantastic amenities, personalised services, and an endless range of activities for the whole family at St James Club, Morgan Bay, and Coconut Bay Beach Resort and Spa.
- Benefit from All-Inclusive programmes at both hotels, and enjoy a variety of complimentary activities, delicious meals at the restaurants, and a variety of entertainment for the whole family.
- Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa a free access to the largest waterpark in St Lucia, featuring five swimming pools, two waterslides, and a lazy river.
- Being close to Cap Estate Golf Course, capital city of Castries, and the world-class Rodney bay Marina, St James Club Morgan Bay Resort is a perfect base for exploring the island
Make the most of the elegance surrounding two stunning hotels, The Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spa and Bel Jou St. Lucia
- Take as much time as you need to rejuvenate in Bel Jou's fresh water pool
- Bel Jou St Lucia is the ultimate adults-only paradise - perfect for couples, singles, and friends alike
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spa boasts in interesting charm of Mediterranean ambience blended with the lush tropical beauty of the Caribbean
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Take a break in the Caribbean sun where you can relax soak up the beaming sun or take part in the abundance of activities on offer
- Guests can enjoy wide range of activities at Anse Chastanet Resort such as swimming, hiking, snorkelling and much more
- Relax and rejuvenate in the state of the art spa at Rendezvous , indulge yourself in one of the various wonderful treatments on offer
- Both resorts offer individually designed rooms specifically made to make guests feel at home in Caribbean luxury
Experience an ultra tranquil Caribbean twin centre getaway at beautiful St Lucia and picturesque Antigua
This holiday has been hand picked to ensure a holiday like no other offering ultimate relaxation and memories to last a lifetime
- Enjoy stunning views from The Verandah Resort and Spa, set on 30 beachfront acres in an idyllic bay on the unspoilt northeast coast of Antigua
- Rendezvous is for couples only, providing a haven of peace and relaxation, away from the hustle and bustle of many of the big resorts. It can be as intimate as couples require
- This holiday has been carefully selected to offer ultimate romance and relaxation for those looking for the ultimate Caribbean getaway
Start your journey with a vibrant and colourful Morgan Bay. Located just minutes away from magnificent Rodney Bay...
St James's Club & Villas sits on a private 100 acre peninsula with breathtaking ocean views and white sand beaches. This...
Tucked away in a pristine cove on the west coast of St Lucia, the St James's Club, Morgan Bay, St Lucia (formerly Morgan...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
St Lucia offers a combination of high mountains, lush forests, and pristine beaches. Its bustling capital Castries, sits...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
Winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence (2013), Bay Gardens Hotel is located in the heart of St. Lucia, at...
Located in Saint Lucia's prime tourist area of Rodney Bay Village, Bay Gardens Inn offers a wide range of dining and...
Set in the heart of Rodney Bay Village, home to St. Lucia’s best beaches and entertainment capital, Coco Palm...
Located on one of the most beautiful beaches in St Lucia, Bay Gardens Beach Resort offers an enchanting mix of natural...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
The island of St Lucia has unveiled a new look for its logo and brand. The new brand focuses on its natural beauty, culture, tropical landscapes, and friendly, hospitable locals. The new tagline for the Caribbean island is 'Saint Lucia, LET HER INSPIRE YOU', and it will be rolled out across various international marketing campaigns over the coming months.
The Caribbean island of St Lucia will introduce a new Food and Rum Festival to its Soleil festival series. Running from 12-14 January 2018, the island’s first ever celebration of St Lucian food and rum will feature celebrity chefs, special menus, demos and shows, plus the inaugural Caribbean Rum Awards.
Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain resorts in St Lucia have once again been recognised for their exception environmental efforts. The two luxury resorts have been awarded Travelife Gold Certification status. The properties have been praised for managing their socio-economic and environmental impacts, while demonstrating their commitment to the environment, sustainability, and the local community.