Maria Island Tour - St Lucia Natural Beauty
Duration: Half Day
Soak up the natural beauty of the Caribbean during your holiday in St Lucia on this unforgettable tour of the Maria Islands. Situated off St Lucia’s southeast coast, these two tiny islands (Maria Major and Maria Minor) were declared a Nature Reserve in 1982 to protect some of the world’s rarest flora and fauna. Rare reptile species and many endemic and migratory birds can be found here, as well a huge variety of exotic plant species. This is the perfect chance to get close to nature’s wonders in paradise surroundings.
After travelling through the back roads to the town of Vieux Fort, your tour begins by taking a small boat to Maria Major, the largest and most beautiful of the Maria Islands, where you will be met by spectacular white sand beaches and crystal clear azure waters, which are surrounded by impressive coral reefs and marine life. A short hike across the island with a knowledgeable local guide will introduce you to its unique endemic wildlife – nature lovers will be in their element.
Over 30 protected acres across the Maria Island Reserve are inhabited by more than 120 species of exotic plants and reptiles, including the world’s rarest snake – the Kouwés Snake (Saint Lucia Racer) – and other unique species such as the Saint Lucia Whiptail and the Zandoli tere lizard, which can be found nowhere else in the world. St Lucia Pygmy and Rock geckos can also be spotted here, and even hawksbill turtles at certain times of the year when they come to nest on the islands’ unspoilt beaches.
Maria Island Nature Reserve is also a sanctuary for many native bird species, including Sooty and Bridle terns, the Brown Noddy, Caribbean Martins, Red-billed Tropic birds and Ground Doves, whilst a large number of migratory species travel thousands of miles every year from the West Coast of Africa to nest on Maria Major.
Your guide will point out the different wildlife species during the tour, whilst answering any questions you may have about the island and its inhabitants. You will see a rich variety of plants during your walk, including many different species of cacti, but one of the highlights of the trip has to be the breathtaking views of the town of Vieux Fort, St Lucia’s majestic Pitons and the beautiful Pointe Sable area. Not to be missed, the Maria Islands are one of St Lucia’s most idyllic tropical escapes.
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Enjoy an unforgettable Caribbean holiday with stays at vibrant Coco Palm in breathtaking Rodney Bay and at spectacular Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa.
- Discover the island during your stay at Coco Palm with an exceptional location in the heart of Rodney Bay Village
- Book a relaxing Spa treatment or massage at Coconut Bay's onsite spa centre, overlooking the ocean.
- Stay active during your holiday and enjoy yoga classes, tennis, pool activities, and a variety of water sports available at Coconut Bay, such as kayaking and snorkelling.
The ideal combination for the perfect St Lucian experience - discover the island's entertainment hub of the North and enjoy the serene tranquillity of the South.
- Enjoy the water park and dine around concept available at Bay Gardens Hotel
- Discover Rodney Bay and the numerous shops, bars and the beautiful Reduit Beach
- Experience the water park attraction at Coconut Bay Resort or rejuvenate at the Kai Mer Spa
Enjoy breathtaking sunsets and blue sparkling waters of the Caribbean Sea at two beautiful all-inclusive St Lucia resort
Fantastic amenities, personalised services, and an endless range of activities for the whole family at St James Club, Morgan Bay, and Coconut Bay Beach Resort and Spa.
- Benefit from All-Inclusive programmes at both hotels, and enjoy a variety of complimentary activities, delicious meals at the restaurants, and a variety of entertainment for the whole family.
- Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa a free access to the largest waterpark in St Lucia, featuring five swimming pools, two waterslides, and a lazy river.
- Being close to Cap Estate Golf Course, capital city of Castries, and the world-class Rodney bay Marina, St James Club Morgan Bay Resort is a perfect base for exploring the island
Make the most of the elegance surrounding two stunning hotels, The Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spa and Bel Jou St. Lucia
- Take as much time as you need to rejuvenate in Bel Jou's fresh water pool
- Bel Jou St Lucia is the ultimate adults-only paradise - perfect for couples, singles, and friends alike
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spa boasts in interesting charm of Mediterranean ambience blended with the lush tropical beauty of the Caribbean
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Double the Sun and Double the Sand in Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia and Sandals Grande Antigua Resort and Spa
Start your journey with a vibrant and colourful Morgan Bay. Located just minutes away from magnificent Rodney Bay...
St James's Club & Villas sits on a private 100 acre peninsula with breathtaking ocean views and white sand beaches. This...
Tucked away in a pristine cove on the west coast of St Lucia, the St James's Club, Morgan Bay, St Lucia (formerly Morgan...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Rendezvous - The Boutique Hotel for couples. Escape to a romantic hideaway at Rendezvous on the beautiful island of St...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
Winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence (2013), Bay Gardens Hotel is located in the heart of St. Lucia, at...
Located in Saint Lucia's prime tourist area of Rodney Bay Village, Bay Gardens Inn offers a wide range of dining and...
Set in the heart of Rodney Bay Village, home to St. Lucia’s best beaches and entertainment capital, Coco Palm...
Located on one of the most beautiful beaches in St Lucia, Bay Gardens Beach Resort offers an enchanting mix of natural...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
The island of St Lucia has unveiled a new look for its logo and brand. The new brand focuses on its natural beauty, culture, tropical landscapes, and friendly, hospitable locals. The new tagline for the Caribbean island is 'Saint Lucia, LET HER INSPIRE YOU', and it will be rolled out across various international marketing campaigns over the coming months.
The Caribbean island of St Lucia will introduce a new Food and Rum Festival to its Soleil festival series. Running from 12-14 January 2018, the island’s first ever celebration of St Lucian food and rum will feature celebrity chefs, special menus, demos and shows, plus the inaugural Caribbean Rum Awards.
Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain resorts in St Lucia have once again been recognised for their exception environmental efforts. The two luxury resorts have been awarded Travelife Gold Certification status. The properties have been praised for managing their socio-economic and environmental impacts, while demonstrating their commitment to the environment, sustainability, and the local community.