Fond Doux Estate - St Lucia Colonial Past
Duration: Half Day
Step back in time during your holiday in Lucia and gain a glimpse of the island’s rich colonial past. This tour will enable you to explore the beautiful Fond Doux Estate, a 19th century French colonial plantation located near the historic town of Soufriere. Learn about Lucia’s traditional agricultural methods, explore ancient military ruins and immerse yourself in nature whilst enjoying spectacular views of the surrounding area. This is a wonderful authentic experience not to be missed.
Set amidst lush tropical hills and gardens, against the backdrop of St Lucia’s majestic Pitons World Heritage Site, the 250-acre Fond Doux Estate is steeped in natural beauty and French colonial history. It was here that the historical Battle of Rabot, one of the most significant battles fought in St Lucia, took place in 1795 amongst the prosperous sugar and cocoa plantations. This working estate still continues to harvest cocoa today, as well as bananas, citrus fruits, coffee, nutmeg and cinnamon. Your tour guide will teach you about the traditional methods of cocoa fermentation, drying and “cocoa dancing”, as well as coconut processing, and you will get the chance to smell, touch and taste a variety of tropical fruits and plants during the tour.
Fond Doux Estate offers some wonderful hiking opportunities amongst beautiful natural landscapes. Three diverse trails will lead walkers around the estate, through dense forests that host a rich variety of flora and fauna, and past beautiful tropical waterfalls and historical military ruins. The vistas on the way are spectacular.
The Estate Trail will take you through the plantations and into the buildings, where you will see the local workers drying and processing the crops. The Chateaubelair Trail requires some climbing but is worth the effort as it leads you to Chateaubelair Ridge, the highest point of the estate. From here you can enjoy magnificent views of the Soufriere Pitons and the Caribbean Sea. This trail is the old Maroons (runaway slaves) escape route, which they used to hide high up in the hills during the revolutionary wars. Many endemic birds and several less common species such as the Red Neck Pigeon, and the Saint Lucia Oriole, can be spotted along this trail, so keep a close look out on the way. Last but not least, The East Ruins Trail is a gentle incline that will take you past citrus fruits and beautiful tropical flora to the old ruins and site of the Battle of Rabot. The area was used as a canon fortification and musket balls have been discovered here in the past.
Once you have explored the estate you can relax in the plantation house with a glass of local rum punch, fresh fruit juice or coconut water before tucking into a delicious Creole lunch.
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
The ideal combination for the perfect St Lucian experience - discover the island's entertainment hub of the North and enjoy the serene tranquillity of the South.
- Enjoy the water park and dine around concept available at Bay Gardens Hotel
- Discover Rodney Bay and the numerous shops, bars and the beautiful Reduit Beach
- Experience the water park attraction at Coconut Bay Resort or rejuvenate at the Kai Mer Spa
Enjoy an unforgettable Caribbean holiday with stays at vibrant Coco Palm in breathtaking Rodney Bay and at spectacular Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa.
- Discover the island during your stay at Coco Palm with an exceptional location in the heart of Rodney Bay Village
- Book a relaxing Spa treatment or massage at Coconut Bay's onsite spa centre, overlooking the ocean.
- Stay active during your holiday and enjoy yoga classes, tennis, pool activities, and a variety of water sports available at Coconut Bay, such as kayaking and snorkelling.
Discover Antigua's prestine Beaches at St James's Club and Villas then St Lucia's Vibrant Culture at St James's Club, Morgan Bay
- This combined holiday includes All Inclusive at both properties and all of your flights and transfers
- St James's Club Morgan Bay is situated minutes from the world famous Rodney Bay marina and Gros Islet
- St James's Club and Villas boasts breathtaking ocean views on a private 100-acre peninsula
Enjoy breathtaking sunsets and blue sparkling waters of the Caribbean Sea at two beautiful all-inclusive St Lucia resort
Fantastic amenities, personalised services, and an endless range of activities for the whole family at St James Club, Morgan Bay, and Coconut Bay Beach Resort and Spa.
- With Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa you have access to the largest waterpark in St Lucia, featuring five swimming pools, two waterslides, and a lazy river.
- Benefit from All-Inclusive programmes at both hotels, and enjoy a variety of complimentary activities, delicious meals at the restaurants, and a variety of entertainment for the whole family.
- Being close to Cap Estate Golf Course, capital city of Castries, and the world-class Rodney bay Marina, St James Club Morgan Bay Resort is a perfect base for exploring the island
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday at Morgan Bay and Mango Bay
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Experience an ultra tranquil Caribbean twin centre getaway at beautiful St Lucia and picturesque Antigua
This holiday has been hand picked to ensure a holiday like no other offering ultimate relaxation and memories to last a lifetime
- Enjoy stunning views from The Verandah Resort and Spa, set on 30 beachfront acres in an idyllic bay on the unspoilt northeast coast of Antigua
- Rendezvous is for couples only, providing a haven of peace and relaxation, away from the hustle and bustle of many of the big resorts. It can be as intimate as couples require
- This holiday has been carefully selected to offer ultimate romance and relaxation for those looking for the ultimate Caribbean getaway
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Start your journey with a vibrant and colourful Morgan Bay. Located just minutes away from magnificent Rodney Bay...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Tucked away in a pristine cove on the west coast of St Lucia, the St James's Club, Morgan Bay, St Lucia (formerly Morgan...
Set in the heart of Rodney Bay Village, home to St. Lucia’s best beaches and entertainment capital, Coco Palm...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
Winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence (2013), Bay Gardens Hotel is located in the heart of St. Lucia, at...
Located in Saint Lucia's prime tourist area of Rodney Bay Village, Bay Gardens Inn offers a wide range of dining and...
Located on one of the most beautiful beaches in St Lucia, Bay Gardens Beach Resort offers an enchanting mix of natural...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
As carnival season began to unfold last week, July is proving quite the successful month for St Lucia's tourism industry and hotels are reaping the benefits after reporting packed rooms. The Saint Lucia Tourism Authority worked hard this year to promote the island's summer festival at a global level, a move that has been a resounding success with record-high occupational levels for this time of year.
Caribbean nationals are being offered special discounted rates on stays at more than 40 hotels, tour bookings, attractions and restaurants across St Lucia as part of a summer promotion to attract more regional tourists to the island. The summer savings programme will run until the end of September 2018.
St Lucia Tourism Authority has revamped its online travel agent training program to simplify the structure and create a go-to information hub for destination sales and marketing. The Saint Lucia Expert program includes new modules on niche holiday types and fresh incentives for selling the Caribbean island.