Fond Doux Estate - St Lucia Colonial Past
Duration: Half Day
Step back in time during your holiday in Lucia and gain a glimpse of the island’s rich colonial past. This tour will enable you to explore the beautiful Fond Doux Estate, a 19th century French colonial plantation located near the historic town of Soufriere. Learn about Lucia’s traditional agricultural methods, explore ancient military ruins and immerse yourself in nature whilst enjoying spectacular views of the surrounding area. This is a wonderful authentic experience not to be missed.
Set amidst lush tropical hills and gardens, against the backdrop of St Lucia’s majestic Pitons World Heritage Site, the 250-acre Fond Doux Estate is steeped in natural beauty and French colonial history. It was here that the historical Battle of Rabot, one of the most significant battles fought in St Lucia, took place in 1795 amongst the prosperous sugar and cocoa plantations. This working estate still continues to harvest cocoa today, as well as bananas, citrus fruits, coffee, nutmeg and cinnamon. Your tour guide will teach you about the traditional methods of cocoa fermentation, drying and “cocoa dancing”, as well as coconut processing, and you will get the chance to smell, touch and taste a variety of tropical fruits and plants during the tour.
Fond Doux Estate offers some wonderful hiking opportunities amongst beautiful natural landscapes. Three diverse trails will lead walkers around the estate, through dense forests that host a rich variety of flora and fauna, and past beautiful tropical waterfalls and historical military ruins. The vistas on the way are spectacular.
The Estate Trail will take you through the plantations and into the buildings, where you will see the local workers drying and processing the crops. The Chateaubelair Trail requires some climbing but is worth the effort as it leads you to Chateaubelair Ridge, the highest point of the estate. From here you can enjoy magnificent views of the Soufriere Pitons and the Caribbean Sea. This trail is the old Maroons (runaway slaves) escape route, which they used to hide high up in the hills during the revolutionary wars. Many endemic birds and several less common species such as the Red Neck Pigeon, and the Saint Lucia Oriole, can be spotted along this trail, so keep a close look out on the way. Last but not least, The East Ruins Trail is a gentle incline that will take you past citrus fruits and beautiful tropical flora to the old ruins and site of the Battle of Rabot. The area was used as a canon fortification and musket balls have been discovered here in the past.
Once you have explored the estate you can relax in the plantation house with a glass of local rum punch, fresh fruit juice or coconut water before tucking into a delicious Creole lunch.
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Bridgetown and Rodney Bay - Two popular resorts offering culture, food and fun
- Bay Gardens Beach Resort is Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views
- Stay at Coconut Court Beach hotel and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Amazing Twin Centre Package with flights and transfers included
Discover Antigua's prestine Beaches at St James's Club and Villas then St Lucia's Vibrant Culture at St James's Club, Morgan Bay
- This combined holiday includes All Inclusive at both properties and all of your flights and transfers
- St James's Club Morgan Bay is situated minutes from the world famous Rodney Bay marina and Gros Islet
- St James's Club and Villas boasts breathtaking ocean views on a private 100-acre peninsula
Make the most of the elegance surrounding two stunning hotels, The Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spa and Bel Jou St. Lucia
- Take as much time as you need to rejuvenate in Bel Jou's fresh water pool
- Bel Jou St Lucia is the ultimate adults-only paradise - perfect for couples, singles, and friends alike
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spa boasts in interesting charm of Mediterranean ambience blended with the lush tropical beauty of the Caribbean
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Experience an ultra tranquil Caribbean twin centre getaway at beautiful St Lucia and picturesque Antigua
This holiday has been hand picked to ensure a holiday like no other offering ultimate relaxation and memories to last a lifetime
- Enjoy stunning views from The Verandah Resort and Spa, set on 30 beachfront acres in an idyllic bay on the unspoilt northeast coast of Antigua
- Rendezvous is for couples only, providing a haven of peace and relaxation, away from the hustle and bustle of many of the big resorts. It can be as intimate as couples require
- This holiday has been carefully selected to offer ultimate romance and relaxation for those looking for the ultimate Caribbean getaway
Double the Sun and Double the Sand in Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia and Sandals Grande Antigua Resort and Spa
Start your journey with a vibrant and colourful Morgan Bay. Located just minutes away from magnificent Rodney Bay...
St James's Club & Villas sits on a private 100 acre peninsula with breathtaking ocean views and white sand beaches. This...
Tucked away in a pristine cove on the west coast of St Lucia, the St James's Club, Morgan Bay, St Lucia (formerly Morgan...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
St Lucia offers a combination of high mountains, lush forests, and pristine beaches. Its bustling capital Castries, sits...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
Winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence (2013), Bay Gardens Hotel is located in the heart of St. Lucia, at...
Located in Saint Lucia's prime tourist area of Rodney Bay Village, Bay Gardens Inn offers a wide range of dining and...
Set in the heart of Rodney Bay Village, home to St. Lucia’s best beaches and entertainment capital, Coco Palm...
Located on one of the most beautiful beaches in St Lucia, Bay Gardens Beach Resort offers an enchanting mix of natural...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
The island of St Lucia has unveiled a new look for its logo and brand. The new brand focuses on its natural beauty, culture, tropical landscapes, and friendly, hospitable locals. The new tagline for the Caribbean island is 'Saint Lucia, LET HER INSPIRE YOU', and it will be rolled out across various international marketing campaigns over the coming months.
The Caribbean island of St Lucia will introduce a new Food and Rum Festival to its Soleil festival series. Running from 12-14 January 2018, the island’s first ever celebration of St Lucian food and rum will feature celebrity chefs, special menus, demos and shows, plus the inaugural Caribbean Rum Awards.
Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain resorts in St Lucia have once again been recognised for their exception environmental efforts. The two luxury resorts have been awarded Travelife Gold Certification status. The properties have been praised for managing their socio-economic and environmental impacts, while demonstrating their commitment to the environment, sustainability, and the local community.