Castries Heritage Walk - St Lucia Heritage
Duration: Half Day
St Lucia is blessed with a rich heritage as well as outstanding natural beauty, so there is much to discover if you are interested in delving into the island’s history and culture. This fascinating tour will introduce you to the historical treasures of Castries, the capital city and commercial centre of St Lucia. Stroll the streets and admire the old colonial architecture whilst enjoying the vibrant spirit of the Caribbean.
Situated on a sheltered natural harbour and surrounded by verdant green hills, Castries is undoubtedly one of the most beautifully located cities in the Caribbean. Hundreds of holiday makers and day trippers arrive here every day as the deep sea port is used year-round by cruise liners, bringing tourists in their droves to the colourful markets and duty-free shopping malls. If you have time to explore the city further, however, you will find that it has much more to offer besides shopping.
To begin with, Castries is steeped in colonial history. Founded by the French in 1650, the city was originally named "Carénage" (meaning safe anchorage), but was later renamed after the French naval minister Marechal de Castries in 1756. Castries came under British rule in the early 19th century and the town soon became a major naval port. Fortifications were built on Morne Fortune (also known as “Hill of Good Luck”), although some of the most savage Caribbean battles ironically took place here between the French and the British in the 18th century. The mountain boasts spectacular panoramic views of the city and harbour, so it is certainly worth exploring if you have time.
Much of Castries’ original colonial architecture has been destroyed by several major fires over the last few centuries, but a handful of historic landmarks have remained intact, including the 18th century Fort Charlotte, the 19th century Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception and the Victorian-style Castries Public Library and Government House. The Derek Walcott Square, renamed after the island's Nobel Prize-winning poet in 1993, is also worth a visit as it lined with late 19th and 20th century French-style wooden buildings with picturesque, gingerbread-trim balconies.
If you want to do some shopping whilst you are here, the recently renovated Castries Central market (constructed between 1891 and 1894) and the adjacent vendor’s market sell everything from fresh local produce, herbs, spices and local Creole delicacies to clothing, handmade crafts, jewellery, rugs and many other gifts and souvenirs. Soak up the colourful sights and aromas as you watch people hurriedly buying and selling their wares, whilst the infectious rhythms of calypso music fill the air.
Not to be missed during your holiday in St Lucia, this memorable tour is a wonderful opportunity to watch history come alive whilst immersing yourself in the vibrant local culture.
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Make the most of the elegance surrounding two hotels, Island Inn Hotel and Bel Jou St. Lucia
- Island Inn is located in the South Coast of Barbados near to many entertainment, restaurants, bars and Pebble Beach
- Bel Jou St Lucia is the ultimate adults-only paradise - perfect for couples, singles, and friends alike
- Enjoy All Inclusive perks at both hotels in Barbados and St Lucia
Enjoy breathtaking sunsets and blue sparkling waters of the Caribbean Sea at two beautiful all-inclusive St Lucia resort
Fantastic amenities, personalised services, and an endless range of activities for the whole family at St James Club, Morgan Bay, and Coconut Bay Beach Resort and Spa.
- With Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa you have access to the largest waterpark in St Lucia, featuring five swimming pools, two waterslides, and a lazy river.
- Benefit from All-Inclusive programmes at both hotels, and enjoy a variety of complimentary activities, delicious meals at the restaurants, and a variety of entertainment for the whole family.
- Being close to Cap Estate Golf Course, capital city of Castries, and the world-class Rodney bay Marina, St James Club Morgan Bay Resort is a perfect base for exploring the island
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday at Morgan Bay and Mango Bay
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Take a break in the Caribbean sun where you can relax soak up the beaming sun or take part in the abundance of activities on offer
- Guests can enjoy wide range of activities at Anse Chastanet Resort such as swimming, hiking, snorkelling and much more
- Relax and rejuvenate in the state of the art spa at Rendezvous , indulge yourself in one of the various wonderful treatments on offer
- Both resorts offer individually designed rooms specifically made to make guests feel at home in Caribbean luxury
Experience an ultra tranquil Caribbean twin centre getaway at beautiful St Lucia and picturesque Antigua
This holiday has been hand picked to ensure a holiday like no other offering ultimate relaxation and memories to last a lifetime
- Enjoy stunning views from The Verandah Resort and Spa, set on 30 beachfront acres in an idyllic bay on the unspoilt northeast coast of Antigua
- Rendezvous is for couples only, providing a haven of peace and relaxation, away from the hustle and bustle of many of the big resorts. It can be as intimate as couples require
- This holiday has been carefully selected to offer ultimate romance and relaxation for those looking for the ultimate Caribbean getaway
Double the Sun and Double the Sand in Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia and Sandals Grande Antigua Resort and Spa
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Start your journey with a vibrant and colourful Morgan Bay. Located just minutes away from magnificent Rodney Bay...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Tucked away in a pristine cove on the west coast of St Lucia, the St James's Club, Morgan Bay, St Lucia (formerly Morgan...
Set in the heart of Rodney Bay Village, home to St. Lucia’s best beaches and entertainment capital, Coco Palm...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
Winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence (2013), Bay Gardens Hotel is located in the heart of St. Lucia, at...
Located in Saint Lucia's prime tourist area of Rodney Bay Village, Bay Gardens Inn offers a wide range of dining and...
Located on one of the most beautiful beaches in St Lucia, Bay Gardens Beach Resort offers an enchanting mix of natural...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
Guests at the Bay Gardens Resort in St Lucia (and its sister property Bay Gardens Hotel and Inn) now enjoy free access to Splash Island Water Park on Reduit Beach, the Caribbean's first floating water park on the open sea and one of the island's most popular attractions.
Magazine Marie Claire recently compiled the must-see and must-do activities on the island of Saint Lucia. An easy flight from the US, the island's compact size makes it a great choice for a weekend getaway.
As carnival season began to unfold last week, July is proving quite the successful month for St Lucia's tourism industry and hotels are reaping the benefits after reporting packed rooms. The Saint Lucia Tourism Authority worked hard this year to promote the island's summer festival at a global level, a move that has been a resounding success with record-high occupational levels for this time of year.