Historical Gardens of Madam De Micoud
Duration: Half Day
This is a splendorous green tour perfect for nature lovers and history enthusiasts alike. Travellers will truly find it all in this one wonderful excursion to the historical Gardens of Madam Micoud, an encapsulated floral timepiece that has kept is flowery buoyancy throughout hundreds of years.
Located on 12 lush acres of a skilfully manicured landscape, The Madam Micoud Gardens, also popularly called the Mimaku Gardens, are a floral paradise flowering upon a priceless slice of St Lucia’s history. Its most dazzling features include a genuine Creole medicine bush garden, some majestic endangered St Lucian trees and a fascinating excavations site at which some precious shards of pottery dating back to the 18th century have been discovered.
The place owes its name to Madame de Micoud, the St Lucian born wife of the Baron de Micoud, the Governor of St Lucia when the island still was a French colony. It was the Baron who bought these grounds upon which this magnificent garden now stands. The garden was once at risk of being lost to the British in 1766 when they took possession of St Lucia. As the Baron knew that according to law the British could not take property away from a St Lucian born person he immediately deeded the state to his wife. And thus this land became well known and was soon called after her name when back in the days she was a very popular celebrity in the island.
During some time this estate also served as a military post under the commandment of the famous British General Sir John Moore. This post endured much violent action, witnessing also a famous battle agains the “Brigands” which left 15 dead soldiers and 20 wounded while the Mamiku home was left as burnt-out ruin.
But far from that hard and sad reality of the past, the gardens and the house have suffered many re-modelings since, standing today as one of the most beautiful natural private grounds in the island. Nowadays this estate has become a hardworking plantation producing bananas, tropical flowers and fruits, under the ownership of the Shingleton family since 1906 with the botanical gardens being a recent addition to the beauty of the place.
Enjoy a tour across this most beautiful of gardens with the company of an expert guide telling you all about the peculiarities of the place. This beautiful place abounds with the greenest lush tropical flora with a wealth of different species to delight and amaze you. Leisurely walk through those gardens that have been carved out of woodland and wind their way uphill, towards the site of the mentioned battle between the French and British in an attempt to gain control over the island.
Stroll to your heart’s content through the many manicured paths that will lead you to the herb garden, the symbolic “Gran Pa’s” house or the orchid gardens. In short, take your time to explore this breathtakingly beautiful area and enjoy a tropical refreshment before rejoining the coach that will take you back to your hotel. We promise this will be an enriching day full of little treasures amidst the most breathtaking natural surroundings!
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Enjoy an unforgettable Caribbean holiday with stays at vibrant Coco Palm in breathtaking Rodney Bay and at spectacular Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa.
- Discover the island during your stay at Coco Palm with an exceptional location in the heart of Rodney Bay Village
- Book a relaxing Spa treatment or massage at Coconut Bay's onsite spa centre, overlooking the ocean.
- Stay active during your holiday and enjoy yoga classes, tennis, pool activities, and a variety of water sports available at Coconut Bay, such as kayaking and snorkelling.
Enjoy breathtaking sunsets and blue sparkling waters of the Caribbean Sea at two beautiful all-inclusive St Lucia resort
Fantastic amenities, personalised services, and an endless range of activities for the whole family at St James Club, Morgan Bay, and Coconut Bay Beach Resort and Spa.
- Benefit from All-Inclusive programmes at both hotels, and enjoy a variety of complimentary activities, delicious meals at the restaurants, and a variety of entertainment for the whole family.
- Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa a free access to the largest waterpark in St Lucia, featuring five swimming pools, two waterslides, and a lazy river.
- Being close to Cap Estate Golf Course, capital city of Castries, and the world-class Rodney bay Marina, St James Club Morgan Bay Resort is a perfect base for exploring the island
Discover Antigua's prestine Beaches at St James's Club and Villas then St Lucia's Vibrant Culture at St James's Club, Morgan Bay
- This combined holiday includes All Inclusive at both properties and all of your flights and transfers
- St James's Club Morgan Bay is situated minutes from the world famous Rodney Bay marina and Gros Islet
- St James's Club and Villas boasts breathtaking ocean views on a private 100-acre peninsula
Make the most of the elegance surrounding two stunning hotels, The Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spa and Bel Jou St. Lucia
- Take as much time as you need to rejuvenate in Bel Jou's fresh water pool
- Bel Jou St Lucia is the ultimate adults-only paradise - perfect for couples, singles, and friends alike
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel and Spa boasts in interesting charm of Mediterranean ambience blended with the lush tropical beauty of the Caribbean
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Experience an ultra tranquil Caribbean twin centre getaway at beautiful St Lucia and picturesque Antigua
This holiday has been hand picked to ensure a holiday like no other offering ultimate relaxation and memories to last a lifetime
- Enjoy stunning views from The Verandah Resort and Spa, set on 30 beachfront acres in an idyllic bay on the unspoilt northeast coast of Antigua
- Rendezvous is for couples only, providing a haven of peace and relaxation, away from the hustle and bustle of many of the big resorts. It can be as intimate as couples require
- This holiday has been carefully selected to offer ultimate romance and relaxation for those looking for the ultimate Caribbean getaway
Start your journey with a vibrant and colourful Morgan Bay. Located just minutes away from magnificent Rodney Bay...
St James's Club & Villas sits on a private 100 acre peninsula with breathtaking ocean views and white sand beaches. This...
Tucked away in a pristine cove on the west coast of St Lucia, the St James's Club, Morgan Bay, St Lucia (formerly Morgan...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
St Lucia offers a combination of high mountains, lush forests, and pristine beaches. Its bustling capital Castries, sits...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
Winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence (2013), Bay Gardens Hotel is located in the heart of St. Lucia, at...
Located in Saint Lucia's prime tourist area of Rodney Bay Village, Bay Gardens Inn offers a wide range of dining and...
Set in the heart of Rodney Bay Village, home to St. Lucia’s best beaches and entertainment capital, Coco Palm...
Located on one of the most beautiful beaches in St Lucia, Bay Gardens Beach Resort offers an enchanting mix of natural...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
The island of St Lucia has unveiled a new look for its logo and brand. The new brand focuses on its natural beauty, culture, tropical landscapes, and friendly, hospitable locals. The new tagline for the Caribbean island is 'Saint Lucia, LET HER INSPIRE YOU', and it will be rolled out across various international marketing campaigns over the coming months.
The Caribbean island of St Lucia will introduce a new Food and Rum Festival to its Soleil festival series. Running from 12-14 January 2018, the island’s first ever celebration of St Lucian food and rum will feature celebrity chefs, special menus, demos and shows, plus the inaugural Caribbean Rum Awards.
Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain resorts in St Lucia have once again been recognised for their exception environmental efforts. The two luxury resorts have been awarded Travelife Gold Certification status. The properties have been praised for managing their socio-economic and environmental impacts, while demonstrating their commitment to the environment, sustainability, and the local community.