Marvelous Mamiku Gardens
Duration: Half Day
A scenic drive along the rugged eastern coast of St. Lucia with brilliant views of the Atlantic Ocean will take you to the legendary Mamiku Gardens. Set in 12 acres of beautiful woodlands; Mamiku is a floral paradise and a bird haven that never fails to bewitch its visitors. But the site is more than a pretty garden and also has historical significance. Ironically this gorgeous natural haven was once the location of a brutal battle between Britain and France; even when there is no evidence of that tumultuous history present today. What can be found here nowadays is 18th century pottery as the estate also possesses an archaeological excavation site.
The estate once belonged to a French governor of St. Lucia named Baron de Micoud who acquired the grounds in 1766. In order to secure ownership of the estate which was threatened by the British invaders, Baron de Micoud passed the property to his St. Lucia born wife, Madame de Micoud. She was a very popular lady and eventually her name was adapted to “Ma Miku” and the estates retained the name ever since. Currently the grounds of the estate comprise a commercial plantation that produces tropical flowers, bananas and other fruit; with the recently added Botanical Gardens opened to the general public.
This tour is for the plant lovers, home gardeners and general nature enthusiasts. Marvel at the lush greenery complimented by the splendid colours of tropical flora and fauna. Heliconias, Orchids, Hibiscus, Bougainvillas and Waterliliies do more than provide an abundance of colour they also add a lovely fragrance to the place which attracts the humming birds and butterflies that buzz and flutter by. Other birds enjoying this habitat are Orioles, Mockingbirds, Tyrants, Herons, the Brown Trembler, Pearly-eyed Thrasher, Common Ground Dove and the St. Lucian Black Finch.
A series of different gardens can be viewed as you traverse the trails. View the stunning assortment of orchids growing out of moss-covered tree stumps, visit “Grandfather’s Garden” that contains a selection and plants and hers with medicinal properties. Benches are cleverly placed across these well-manicured gardens to maximise your viewing capabilities while providing rest and relaxation. The Marvellous Mamiku gardens are exceptionally tranquil and calmingly inviting. Pass time away in peace, dream and watch the day go by or simply feel inspired by the magical allure of the surroundings. Take pleasure in having a refreshing tropical drink before the panoramic bus ride back to your hotel.
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Bridgetown and Rodney Bay - Two popular Caribbean resorts offering culture, food and fun
- Stay at Coconut Court Beach hotel and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Amazing Twin Centre Package with flights and transfers included
- Bay Gardens Hotel is Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views plus its famed Splash Water Park
Enjoy an unforgettable Caribbean holiday with stays at vibrant Coco Palm in breathtaking Rodney Bay and at spectacular Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa.
- Discover the island during your stay at Coco Palm with an exceptional location in the heart of Rodney Bay Village
- Book a relaxing Spa treatment or massage at Coconut Bay's onsite spa centre, overlooking the ocean.
- Stay active during your holiday and enjoy yoga classes, tennis, pool activities, and a variety of water sports available at Coconut Bay, such as kayaking and snorkelling.
Discover Antigua's prestine Beaches at St James's Club and Villas then St Lucia's Vibrant Culture at St James's Club, Morgan Bay
- This combined holiday includes All Inclusive at both properties and all of your flights and transfers
- St James's Club Morgan Bay is situated minutes from the world famous Rodney Bay marina and Gros Islet
- St James's Club and Villas boasts breathtaking ocean views on a private 100-acre peninsula
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday at Morgan Bay and Mango Bay
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Experience an ultra tranquil Caribbean twin centre getaway at beautiful St Lucia and picturesque Antigua
This holiday has been hand picked to ensure a holiday like no other offering ultimate relaxation and memories to last a lifetime
- Enjoy stunning views from The Verandah Resort and Spa, set on 30 beachfront acres in an idyllic bay on the unspoilt northeast coast of Antigua
- Rendezvous is for couples only, providing a haven of peace and relaxation, away from the hustle and bustle of many of the big resorts. It can be as intimate as couples require
- This holiday has been carefully selected to offer ultimate romance and relaxation for those looking for the ultimate Caribbean getaway
Double the Sun and Double the Sand in Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia and Sandals Grande Antigua Resort and Spa
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Start your journey with a vibrant and colourful Morgan Bay. Located just minutes away from magnificent Rodney Bay...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Tucked away in a pristine cove on the west coast of St Lucia, the St James's Club, Morgan Bay, St Lucia (formerly Morgan...
Set in the heart of Rodney Bay Village, home to St. Lucia’s best beaches and entertainment capital, Coco Palm...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
Winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence (2013), Bay Gardens Hotel is located in the heart of St. Lucia, at...
Located in Saint Lucia's prime tourist area of Rodney Bay Village, Bay Gardens Inn offers a wide range of dining and...
Located on one of the most beautiful beaches in St Lucia, Bay Gardens Beach Resort offers an enchanting mix of natural...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
Guests at the Bay Gardens Resort in St Lucia (and its sister property Bay Gardens Hotel and Inn) now enjoy free access to Splash Island Water Park on Reduit Beach, the Caribbean's first floating water park on the open sea and one of the island's most popular attractions.
Magazine Marie Claire recently compiled the must-see and must-do activities on the island of Saint Lucia. An easy flight from the US, the island's compact size makes it a great choice for a weekend getaway.
As carnival season began to unfold last week, July is proving quite the successful month for St Lucia's tourism industry and hotels are reaping the benefits after reporting packed rooms. The Saint Lucia Tourism Authority worked hard this year to promote the island's summer festival at a global level, a move that has been a resounding success with record-high occupational levels for this time of year.