Gros Piton Experience
Duration: Half Day
St. Lucia has many natural attractions that anyone with a love for the outdoors, adventure, relaxation will enjoy. One of the island’s most famous landmarks is The Pitons. These twin peaks rise majestically out of St. Lucia’s brilliant blue waters of sapphire and turquoise hues. The gorgeous waters combined with the verdant mountains peaks is a sight to behold.
It is no wonder that the Pitons have been acknowledged as a World Heritage site. Petit the smaller of the two standing at 2, 461 is actually steeper than Gros Piton and very difficult one to climb. However Gros Piton is very accessible for hikers standing at 2, 619 feet. Gros Piton and Petit Piton translate in French as Large Peg and Small Peg respectively.
Spend an exhilarating day attempting to ‘master’ the Gros Piton. We leave early as this excursion will be approximately eight hours long. Wear comfortable shoes, suitable light clothing and let’s go! The journey is about two miles to the top and includes the historic brigand sites such as tunnels, caves, camps, rock shelters and signal stations. The first half of the hike is a moderate climb; however if you are having difficulty feel free to stop at the half mark where you’ll be treated to outstanding views of Petit Piton. The ascent on the second half of the climb is steeper and more demanding but the experience you will have upon arriving to the summit will truly be rewarding.
More breathtaking views of Petit Piton are offered from the summit as well as outstanding views of the south side of St. Lucia and the Caribbean Sea. Make sure to capture this unique moment with camera shots from every angle, each position will offer a perfect canvas for picture taking or an inspiring sight to behold. Another interesting aspect of this hike is the dramatic changes in vegetation and temperature.
The descent of Gros Piton is no easy task either. Hiking down this steep gradient puts considerable pressure on your legs but the experience is worthwhile. Rest and relax in the small community called Fond Gens Libre. Enjoy a hearty meal and learn about the heritage of the village from the warm and friendly people as tropical birds flutter around before we return you to your hotel..
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Make the most of the elegance surrounding two hotels, Island Inn Hotel and Bel Jou St. Lucia
- Island Inn is located in the South Coast of Barbados near to many entertainment, restaurants, bars and Pebble Beach
- Bel Jou St Lucia is the ultimate adults-only paradise - perfect for couples, singles, and friends alike
- Enjoy All Inclusive perks at both hotels in Barbados and St Lucia
Discover Antigua's prestine Beaches at St James's Club and Villas then St Lucia's Vibrant Culture at St James's Club, Morgan Bay
- This combined holiday includes All Inclusive at both properties and all of your flights and transfers
- St James's Club Morgan Bay is situated minutes from the world famous Rodney Bay marina and Gros Islet
- St James's Club and Villas boasts breathtaking ocean views on a private 100-acre peninsula
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday at Morgan Bay and Mango Bay
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Take a break in the Caribbean sun where you can relax soak up the beaming sun or take part in the abundance of activities on offer
- Guests can enjoy wide range of activities at Anse Chastanet Resort such as swimming, hiking, snorkelling and much more
- Relax and rejuvenate in the state of the art spa at Rendezvous , indulge yourself in one of the various wonderful treatments on offer
- Both resorts offer individually designed rooms specifically made to make guests feel at home in Caribbean luxury
Experience an ultra tranquil Caribbean twin centre getaway at beautiful St Lucia and picturesque Antigua
This holiday has been hand picked to ensure a holiday like no other offering ultimate relaxation and memories to last a lifetime
- Enjoy stunning views from The Verandah Resort and Spa, set on 30 beachfront acres in an idyllic bay on the unspoilt northeast coast of Antigua
- Rendezvous is for couples only, providing a haven of peace and relaxation, away from the hustle and bustle of many of the big resorts. It can be as intimate as couples require
- This holiday has been carefully selected to offer ultimate romance and relaxation for those looking for the ultimate Caribbean getaway
Double the Sun and Double the Sand in Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia and Sandals Grande Antigua Resort and Spa
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Start your journey with a vibrant and colourful Morgan Bay. Located just minutes away from magnificent Rodney Bay...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Tucked away in a pristine cove on the west coast of St Lucia, the St James's Club, Morgan Bay, St Lucia (formerly Morgan...
Set in the heart of Rodney Bay Village, home to St. Lucia’s best beaches and entertainment capital, Coco Palm...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
Winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence (2013), Bay Gardens Hotel is located in the heart of St. Lucia, at...
Located in Saint Lucia's prime tourist area of Rodney Bay Village, Bay Gardens Inn offers a wide range of dining and...
Located on one of the most beautiful beaches in St Lucia, Bay Gardens Beach Resort offers an enchanting mix of natural...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
Guests at the Bay Gardens Resort in St Lucia (and its sister property Bay Gardens Hotel and Inn) now enjoy free access to Splash Island Water Park on Reduit Beach, the Caribbean's first floating water park on the open sea and one of the island's most popular attractions.
Magazine Marie Claire recently compiled the must-see and must-do activities on the island of Saint Lucia. An easy flight from the US, the island's compact size makes it a great choice for a weekend getaway.
As carnival season began to unfold last week, July is proving quite the successful month for St Lucia's tourism industry and hotels are reaping the benefits after reporting packed rooms. The Saint Lucia Tourism Authority worked hard this year to promote the island's summer festival at a global level, a move that has been a resounding success with record-high occupational levels for this time of year.